Examining The Hypostatic Union

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Murad
Guru

Examining The Hypostatic Union

Post #1

Post by Murad »

Amadeus wrote: I believe in the hypostatic union.
The hypostatic union according to the Oxford Dictionary basically means:
"the combination of divine and human natures in the single person of Christ."
The Christian understanding is that Jesus is not half God and half man, but is fully divine and fully man. Both natures are not combined into a God-man nature, but they are separate yet act as a unit in the one person of Jesus.
"At the Council of Chalcedon, 451 AD, the Church declared that Christ's two natures are joined "in one person and one hypostasis." (Denziger 302)
Point 1:
It would be really surprising if i said this doctrine has no source, because it really doesn't. There isn't a single verse in the ENTIRE Bible which explicitly says or implies that Jesus simultaneously had 2 natures.
So why is such a baseless doctrine preached within Christendom ?

Point 2:
Is the "hypostatic union" actually rational? By saying Jesus had 2 distinct natures: 'Divine & Human', implies that both attributes of the natures co-exist simultaneously. Any person that can think logically, can see that this is contradictory. Why? Because the attributes of man and of God contradict each other. In other words, the whole doctrine is oxyMORONIC.

Evaluation of Point 2:
God is all-knowing:
"whenever our hearts condemn us. For God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything."
(1 John 3:20)
Jesus was not all-knowing:
"No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, NOR THE SON, but only the Father."
(Mark 13:32)

"No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, NOR THE SON, but only the Father."
(Matthew 24:36)
Furthermore, Jesus grew in "wisdom":
"And the child grew and became strong; he was filled with wisdom, and the grace of God was upon him."
(Luke 2:40)

"And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men."
(Luke 2:52)
In order for Jesus to co-exist in 2 distinct natures: Divine(God) and human, the attributes of both the Divine and the human must co-exist simultaneously.

How can Jesus be all-knowing and not all-knowing simultaneously?

It is contradicting because: if Jesus is "all-knowing" that means he cannot be "not all-knowing." If Jesus is "not all-knowing" that means he cannot be "all-knowing."

According to the Bible, man is not eternal and God is eternal.
"The eternal God is your refuge and underneath are the everlasting arms. He will drive out your enemy before you, saying, 'Destroy him!'"
(Deuteronomy 33:27)

"But the LORD is the true God; he is the living God, the eternal King."
(Jeremiah 10:10)

"The eternal God is your refuge and underneath are the everlasting arms. He will drive out your enemy before you, saying, 'Destroy him!'"
(Deuteronomy 33:27)

"But the LORD is the true God; he is the living God, the eternal King."
(Jeremiah 10:10)

"who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light, whom no one has seen or can see. To him be honor and might forever. Amen."
(1 Timothy 6:16)
Humans are not eternal, God is eternal.
If we assume that Jesus co-exists in both natures: divine and man, how can Jesus be both eternal and not eternal simultaneously?
If Jesus has the nature of man, he CANNOT be eternal. Using logic, it is impossible for Jesus to co-exist simultaneously in both natures.

Point 3:
If i said person X has 2 distinct natures. One is male & the other is female. Would you believe me? No, because the very nature of both attributes contradict & oppose each other. Thus a human having both natures of male&female cannot co-exist simultaneously, the same way Jesus being "Fully man & Fully God" cannot co-exist simultaneously.

Point 4:
[Error & Conflict within the Trinity]
If Jesus has 2 distinct natures (Divine and man), then how many natures does the Father have? Biblically, only 1.
So Jesus has 2 natures, and the Father has 1 nature.
How can God have 2 natures and 1 nature simultaneously?

Conclusion:
The Hypostatic Union is a concoction, which when analysed, contradicts itselfs.
Do the people think that they will be left to say, "We believe" without being put to the test?
We have tested those before them, for GOD must distinguish those who are truthful, and He must expose the liars.

(Quran 29:2-3)

----
Why Jesus is NOT God
---

theMadJW
Banned
Banned

Post #21

Post by theMadJW »

The mainstream churches called by the press "Chiristianity" does and says almost NOTHING that Christ did- thus the term others, including I use- Churchianity.

If reference to the churches is as distasteful to you as it is to I, then no problem exists.

Regarding my parody of Dogma that makes a mockery of Christ- he did the same with the illustration of the Rich Man and Lazarus- so if following HIS example (and that of Elijah, the most honored of the pre=Christian prophets) is acceptable to you,
than so should MINE!

By the way, my parody simply ADDS a LITTLE to the official definition of this dogma, to help all see the deceptive twists the clergy have MADE.

Don't YOU want to know this- or do you, too, worship your Church, rather than God?

Sometimes even those who are servants of God ridicule Deceivers; Christ did, calling the Pharisees painted Tombstones beautiful on the outside and filthy on the inside, his Illustration of the Rich man and Lazarus!

However, Elijah went much further-

1 Kings 18:27- About noontime Elijah began mocking them. “You’ll have to shout louder,� he scoffed, “for surely he is a god! Perhaps he is daydreaming, or is relieving himself ("or using the toilet" - CEV), or maybe he is away on a trip, or is asleep and needs to be wakened! 28- So they shouted louder, and following their normal custom, they cut themselves with knives and swords until the blood gushed out.

Antichrists in CHURCHianity turn a Loving God into 3 Sadistic Beings, teach Satan's Lie (that we never die), ignoring nearly every truth the Bible teaches, then run around 'praising' Jesus!

It is sad, comical- and sick, all at the same time!

If Christ or Elijah had just called them "idiots" instead- it would have been a Kindness!

So, if they want to blaspheme God and Christ,
as well as ridicule us for our efforts to obey
the King, this is MY way of dealing with them!

(If you ban me- as I think you will- the Truth has NO place on this site, either!)

Howlin Mad
Banned
Banned

Post #22

Post by Howlin Mad »

I think they don't agree with what you believe and as such, will hypocritically ban you and your beliefs from this website. If they don't like what you think they can simply ignore your posts. I don't understand the need for censure unless there is profanity or baseless argument. The c-n-p charge was baseless, ridiculous and completely unfounded. That user should be banned for making false claim and charge.

If you don't like what I say or think then debate me. Don't censure me. That's childish garbage.

theMadJW
Banned
Banned

Post #23

Post by theMadJW »

It's the result of the Hypostatic Onion...

cnorman18

Post #24

Post by cnorman18 »

MODERATOR WARNING

I'm sure many here would be delighted to "debate you," but that's hard to do when most of your posts amount to sniping -- pointless or cryptic one-liners and snide, acid remarks.

Unproductive and uncivil posts aren't allowed here; neither is plagiarism. If you don't care for the concept of a moderated forum, you shouldn't have signed up for this one.

This was a moderator warning. You might bear in mind that moderator actions are to be disputed or questioned by PM, and not openly on the forum. You agreed to that rule when you signed up, too.

Howlin Mad wrote:I think they don't agree with what you believe and as such, will hypocritically ban you and your beliefs from this website. If they don't like what you think they can simply ignore your posts. I don't understand the need for censure unless there is profanity or baseless argument. The c-n-p charge was baseless, ridiculous and completely unfounded. That user should be banned for making false claim and charge.

If you don't like what I say or think then debate me. Don't censure me. That's childish garbage.

Howlin Mad
Banned
Banned

Post #25

Post by Howlin Mad »

"I'm sure many here would be delighted to "debate you," but that's hard to do when most of your posts amount to sniping -- pointless or cryptic one-liners and snide, acid remarks."

Looks like you got that covered.

"Unproductive and uncivil posts aren't allowed here; neither is plagiarism. If you don't care for the concept of a moderated forum, you shouldn't have signed up for this one."

Cite the plagiarism.

"This was a moderator warning. You might bear in mind that moderator actions are to be disputed or questioned by PM, and not openly on the forum. You agreed to that rule when you signed up, too."

Wow, now that's censure and hipocrisy. Do as you say, not as you do.

theMadJW
Banned
Banned

Post #26

Post by theMadJW »

[quote="cnorman18"]MODERATOR WARNING

I'm sure many here would be delighted to "debate you," but that's hard to do when most of your posts amount to sniping -- http://www.themadjws.com/thercvbible.htm

I take that as a pointless, snide, and acid remark. Want me to PM this?

micatala
Site Supporter

Post #27

Post by micatala »

Moderator Action

theMadJW wrote:
cnorman18 wrote:MODERATOR WARNING

I'm sure many here would be delighted to "debate you," but that's hard to do when most of your posts amount to sniping -- http://www.themadjws.com/thercvbible.htm

I take that as a pointless, snide, and acid remark. Want me to PM this?

Locking the thread.
" . . . the line separating good and evil passes, not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either, but right through every human heart . . . ." Alexander Solzhenitsyn