Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

bjhulk
Banned
Banned

What Bodily Resurrection?

Post #1

Post by bjhulk »

How does the body of Jesus resurrect to a place it can't go?

According to the scriptures, Jesus knew it was the spirit in him that raised from the dead, which is a symbolic name for the flesh of man.

John 6
63: It is the spirit that gives life, the flesh is of no avail; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.

Colossians 1
18: He is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning, the first-born from the dead, that in everything he might be pre-eminent.

Revelation 1
5: and from Jesus Christ the faithful witness, the first-born of the dead, and the ruler of kings on earth. To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood

Luke 9
59: To another he said, "Follow me." But he said, "Lord, let me first go and bury my father."
60: But he said to him, "Leave the dead to bury their own dead; but as for you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God."

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: What Bodily Resurrection?

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

bjhulk wrote:How does the body of Jesus resurrect to a place it can't go?

According to the scriptures, Jesus knew it was the spirit in him that raised from the dead, which is a symbolic name for the flesh of man.

John 6
63: It is the spirit that gives life, the flesh is of no avail; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.

Colossians 1
18: He is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning, the first-born from the dead, that in everything he might be pre-eminent.

Revelation 1
5: and from Jesus Christ the faithful witness, the first-born of the dead, and the ruler of kings on earth. To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood

Luke 9
59: To another he said, "Follow me." But he said, "Lord, let me first go and bury my father."
60: But he said to him, "Leave the dead to bury their own dead; but as for you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God."
I think you might need to clarify a little. Why are you saying Jesus' resurrected body cannot go somewhere?

What is this "place it can't go"? What are you refering to?
bjhulk wrote:According to the scriptures, Jesus knew it was the spirit in him that raised from the dead, which is a symbolic name for the flesh of man.
I have no idea what this sentence means.

bjhulk
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by bjhulk »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
bjhulk wrote:How does the body of Jesus resurrect to a place it can't go?

John 6

Colossians 1

Revelation 1

Luke 9
I think you might need to clarify a little. Why are you saying Jesus' resurrected body cannot go somewhere?

What is this "place it can't go"? What are you refering to?
Many Christians believe in a bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ. If that were true, then his body would have to be in heaven and that's impossible. God is only thoughts that are invisible, without mass, time or energy and this is heaven where we were created within his thoughts. We'll exist in God forever but we need physical bodies to use and experience our created thoughts. This is only a temporary age so all our bodies will die and after the earth changes into a paradise, we will get new immortal bodies to use and experience life with.
bjhulk wrote:According to the scriptures, Jesus knew it was the spirit in him that raised from the dead, which is a symbolic name for the flesh of man.

I have no idea what this sentence means.
The flesh, which is the physical bodies our created thoughts use to experience life with had many biblical names such as the dead, satan, devil, serpent, lucifer, wicked one, thief, murderer, etc. Jesus called the flesh, "the dead" and so did some other saints after him. Jesus was born from the dead, meaning he was born of the flesh because he was born sinless and in the spirit of God, although he was still in the flesh of a man. So Jesus and the saints who had the spiriti of God in them were spiritual beings in a dead flesh.

Romans 8
9: But you are not in the flesh, you are in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you. Any one who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him.
10: But if Christ is in you, although your bodies are dead because of sin, your spirits are alive because of righteousness.
11: If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will give life to your mortal bodies also through his Spirit which dwells in you.

theopoesis
Guru

Post #4

Post by theopoesis »

bjhulk wrote: Many Christians believe in a bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ. If that were true, then his body would have to be in heaven and that's impossible. God is only thoughts that are invisible, without mass, time or energy and this is heaven where we were created within his thoughts. We'll exist in God forever but we need physical bodies to use and experience our created thoughts. This is only a temporary age so all our bodies will die and after the earth changes into a paradise, we will get new immortal bodies to use and experience life with.
This sounds a lot like Origenism.

It also sounds like a debate for the theology subforum.
bjhulk wrote:The flesh, which is the physical bodies our created thoughts use to experience life with had many biblical names such as the dead, satan, devil, serpent, lucifer, wicked one, thief, murderer, etc. Jesus called the flesh, "the dead" and so did some other saints after him. Jesus was born from the dead, meaning he was born of the flesh because he was born sinless and in the spirit of God, although he was still in the flesh of a man. So Jesus and the saints who had the spirit of God in them were spiritual beings in a dead flesh.

Romans 8
9: But you are not in the flesh, you are in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you. Any one who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him.
10: But if Christ is in you, although your bodies are dead because of sin, your spirits are alive because of righteousness.
11: If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will give life to your mortal bodies also through his Spirit which dwells in you.
This sounds like Gnosticism. You've got some interesting and old perspectives.

Notice how verse 11 says that life will be given to the mortal body which is dead. The implication is not that the mortal body will be escaped, but that it will be restored. Further, Paul often speaks more favorably of the body, calling it a temple of the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 6:19), claiming that the life of Jesus is manifested in our bodies (2 Corinthians 4:10), and speaks of a body being kept blameless (1 Thess. 5:23).

Basically, a few proof texts and a gnostic or Origenist assertion does not do much to prove anything, especially in this subforum. We need to take account for the broader scope of the NT, and justify claims more thoroughly.

bjhulk
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by bjhulk »

theopoesis wrote:
bjhulk wrote: Many Christians believe in a bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ. If that were true, then his body would have to be in heaven and that's impossible. God is only thoughts that are invisible, without mass, time or energy and this is heaven where we were created within his thoughts. We'll exist in God forever but we need physical bodies to use and experience our created thoughts. This is only a temporary age so all our bodies will die and after the earth changes into a paradise, we will get new immortal bodies to use and experience life with.
This sounds a lot like Origenism.

It also sounds like a debate for the theology subforum.
bjhulk wrote:The flesh, which is the physical bodies our created thoughts use to experience life with had many biblical names such as the dead, satan, devil, serpent, lucifer, wicked one, thief, murderer, etc. Jesus called the flesh, "the dead" and so did some other saints after him. Jesus was born from the dead, meaning he was born of the flesh because he was born sinless and in the spirit of God, although he was still in the flesh of a man. So Jesus and the saints who had the spirit of God in them were spiritual beings in a dead flesh.

Romans 8
This sounds like Gnosticism. You've got some interesting and old perspectives.

Notice how verse 11 says that life will be given to the mortal body which is dead. The implication is not that the mortal body will be escaped, but that it will be restored. Further, Paul often speaks more favorably of the body, calling it a temple of the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 6:19), claiming that the life of Jesus is manifested in our bodies (2 Corinthians 4:10), and speaks of a body being kept blameless (1 Thess. 5:23).

Basically, a few proof texts and a gnostic or Origenist assertion does not do much to prove anything, especially in this subforum. We need to take account for the broader scope of the NT, and justify claims more thoroughly.
Since you don't have the truth in you, you have no way of knowing who I am. You can only use your opinions and that doesn't come from God. Your denial of this thread tells me who you are so I don't need to be concerned about anything you say.

When they talked about the body being dead, it was dead because of sin and the memory that's in our brain. This flesh will remain this way until it's not functioning anymore. Then it usually gets buried and goes back to the dust where it came from. The dust, meaning the atoms our body was made from. These bodies cannot be used in heaven were we were created as thoughts in God.

We're always in heaven but we need a physical body to experience our thoughts in God but during this age, God corrupted the DNA in our flesh to make everyone born sinners. This is why we're all dead spiritually. This is considered our first death and the second death is when our bodies no longer function after God stops the flow of thoughts into our brains.

All God's people are involved in the first resurrection which is the only one. The penalty of sin is death so as soon as the flesh dies, the spiritual man remains in God as thoughts until the next age when we get new immortal bodies to use.

God chose the bodies of the prophets, Jesus and the saints as the ones who would experience his spiritual presence and write and speak for him. The prophets weren't able to be sinless so they didn't experience the spirit and the knowledge that Jesus and the saints received. They had to be commanded to do things for God like write, speak and be used to perform miracles through. These prophets are the other sheep that Jesus was talking about. The sheep were the saints who became sinless and received the knowledge of God. This knowledge is necessary to preach the gospel with because the gospel is the voice of God. The knowledge is God, and the truth.

Paul talked about both the flesh and the spirit but mostly the spiritual because he was a sinless saint with the knowledge of God in his heart, mind and soul. He had the mind of God to write and speak with. Sinners can't understand this spiritual man so they always talk about the flesh instead of the spirit of God.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by McCulloch »

:warning: Moderator Warning
bjhulk wrote: Since you don't have the truth in you, you have no way of knowing who I am. You can only use your opinions and that doesn't come from God. Your denial of this thread tells me who you are so I don't need to be concerned about anything you say.
Please avoid making remarks about your perception of any personal shortcomings of other debaters. It is uncivil.

When the moderators feel the rules have been violated, a notice will frequently occur within the thread where the violation occurred, pointing out the violation and perhaps providing other moderator comments. Moderator warnings and comments are made publicly, within the thread, so that all members may see when and how the rules are being interpreted and enforced. However, note that any challenges or replies to moderator comments or warnings should be made via Private Message. This is so that threads do not get derailed into discussions about the rules.

fredonly
Guru

Post #7

Post by fredonly »

bjhulk wrote:Many Christians believe in a bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ. If that were true, then his body would have to be in heaven and that's impossible. God is only thoughts that are invisible, without mass, time or energy and this is heaven where we were created within his thoughts. We'll exist in God forever but we need physical bodies to use and experience our created thoughts. This is only a temporary age so all our bodies will die and after the earth changes into a paradise, we will get new immortal bodies to use and experience life with.
I'll grant that your conception of God and Heaven are inconsistent with the bodily assumption of Jesus to heaven, but that leaves several possibilities:
1) your conception of God and Heaven are wrong. Heaven must be a substantial enough place to accommodate a body.
2) Jesu's body could have transformed as it left the eartly domain and entered heaven
3) Jesus left his body on earth
4) Jesus resurrected, but never really went to heaven
5) Jesus never resurrected.

Perhaps there are more possibilities, but those are the ones I can think of. At any rate, it demonstrates that you have not disproven anything about Jesus' resurrection or assension.

bjhulk
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by bjhulk »

fredonly wrote:
bjhulk wrote:Many Christians believe in a bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ. If that were true, then his body would have to be in heaven and that's impossible. God is only thoughts that are invisible, without mass, time or energy and this is heaven where we were created within his thoughts. We'll exist in God forever but we need physical bodies to use and experience our created thoughts. This is only a temporary age so all our bodies will die and after the earth changes into a paradise, we will get new immortal bodies to use and experience life with.
I'll grant that your conception of God and Heaven are inconsistent with the bodily assumption of Jesus to heaven, but that leaves several possibilities:
1) your conception of God and Heaven are wrong. Heaven must be a substantial enough place to accommodate a body.
2) Jesu's body could have transformed as it left the eartly domain and entered heaven
3) Jesus left his body on earth
4) Jesus resurrected, but never really went to heaven
5) Jesus never resurrected.

Perhaps there are more possibilities, but those are the ones I can think of. At any rate, it demonstrates that you have not disproven anything about Jesus' resurrection or assension.
When God finally revealed himself to Peter, Jesus instantly knew that it was time for him to die as a flesh sacrifice. He began to teach his disciples that he had to die and that the Holy Spirit will come to them to teach them all things. There were many teachings that weren't said that Jesus would have told them about the experience of God working in them. Jesus never mentioned to his disciples that his body would resurrect and come back to visit them. His disciples were the only reason for Jesus to exist because there were getting ready to be the next sinless servants of God so he could use their flesh to work with.

Supposedly, the Roman guards were guarding the tomb he was buried in but since no one suspected the body of Jesus to go floating away, there was no reason for any guards to be protecting the tomb. As far as the Romans were concerned, Jesus was dead and would never come alive. Even if his body were stolen, they didn't care. He was dead.

This idea of his body resurrecting was carefully thought out by a some Roman writer who change the writings by the saints who wrote them. The Romans confiscated the writings of the saints as they arrested them and had them beheaded. They used these writings and rewrote them by adding their pagan ideas. Pagans don't understand the spirit of God and how he works so everything about this resurrection story is a complete lie. There are no bodies in the spiritual realm of God, which is heaven. God is everything but the physical part of the atoms. He exists within the empty space of the atom so he's in everything that exists but not in the physical world. This means that Jesus didn't have to go anywhere because every atom of his body included God.

The atoms in our bodies go back to the elements of the earth after it decays and the God who used the bodies remains the same. He doesn't have to go anywhere because he's infinite. He doesn't only live in the sky like pagans believe.

If Jesus did resurrect in the body and appeared to his disciples, he would have been the biggest liar of the year. This would have caste doubts in the minds of the disciples who were still sinners and didn't understand the truth.

Jesus would have spent the whole time with his disciples instead of running around the country appearing to different people. He wouldn't have left his disciples in such a vulnerable position after surprising them with a lie. He told them he would send the Holy Spirit, which is his created existence because everyone who has a body was created and Jesus, the prophets and us saints were created together as the Holy Spirit. Jesus said he was coming back as the Holy Spirit but this story of his body resurrecting is definitely a lie by someone. Either Jesus lied to his disciples or the Romans added lies to the new testament they produced after they killed all the saints.