Allah Vs. the Christian God

To discuss Islam topics and issues

Moderator: Moderators

Kuan
Site Supporter

Allah Vs. the Christian God

Post #1

Post by Kuan »

A lot of Christians don't realize that Muslims worship the same god as they do.

Question for Debate: Why? Is there a Islamic belief that causes this?
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Kung may ayaw, may dahilan. Kung may gusto, may paraan.

fewwillfindit
Guru

Post #11

Post by fewwillfindit »

The OP makes the assumption that God exists, so I won't address your inference to the contrary.
McCulloch wrote:But without the words of the followers, what can we know about any of the gods?
By going to each religion's holy book and reading what they claim that each god has said. Please don't try to obfuscate my argument by replying that the holy books were written by followers.

My point is clear and concise. The Muslim holy book claims that the Muslim god has no son. The Christian holy book claims that God has a Son. Each book claims that its god cannot lie, thus it is impossible that they are the same entity.
Acts 13:48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord, and as many as were appointed to eternal life believed.

fewwillfindit
Guru

Re: one last try...

Post #12

Post by fewwillfindit »

sarabellum wrote:What I was trying to point out is something along the lines of isn't that the pot calling the kettle black....
Sorry, but, I fail to see how this applies. There is no statement in the Old Testament that makes the positive claim that God has no son. Such a positive claim exists in the Quran. (Please don't flood me with "God is one" quotes, McCulloch ;) )
sarabellum wrote:In my mind its like a movie....

Parts one, two, and three....

The christian religion would be seen as part two and steps away from the story line of part one significantly....
Yes, I can certainly see how it would appear that way from your vantage point.
Acts 13:48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord, and as many as were appointed to eternal life believed.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by McCulloch »

The Muslims claim that their holy book was dictated by the same god that inspired the Torah. The Christians claim that their holy book was inspired by the same god again. The Mormons claim that their holy book was delivered to them by the same god too. Each of these books claims that God does not lie, yet these books contradict each other about the attributes of this god. The open question is whether one or more of these books contains false information about the same god or whether each of these books contains true information about different gods.

Of course, to me the question is moot. Does the current king of France have a beard? Can God have a son? How many flying reindeer does it take to pull Santa's sleigh?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

fewwillfindit
Guru

Post #14

Post by fewwillfindit »

McCulloch wrote:The open question is whether one or more of these books contains false information about the same god or whether each of these books contains true information about different gods.
Exactly right.
McCulloch wrote:Of course, to me the question is moot. Does the current king of France have a beard? Can God have a son? How many flying reindeer does it take to pull Santa's sleigh?
Yes, McCulloch, we are all aware that you are a non-Theist. ...and you forgot to mention the obligatory leprechauns.

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #15

Post by Kuan »

McCulloch wrote:The Muslims claim that their holy book was dictated by the same god that inspired the Torah. The Christians claim that their holy book was inspired by the same god again. The Mormons claim that their holy book was delivered to them by the same god too. Each of these books claims that God does not lie, yet these books contradict each other about the attributes of this god. The open question is whether one or more of these books contains false information about the same god or whether each of these books contains true information about different gods.
This is exactly the problem.
Of course, to me the question is moot. Does the current king of France have a beard? Can God have a son? How many flying reindeer does it take to pull Santa's sleigh?
I dont think the question is moot per se, but it does have a lot to do with the relationship between christians and muslims. This relationship isnt very healthy right now and if we can increase the quality of the relationship maybe it will help with some of the issues that we have in this world. Its not going to solve everything but it would be a step in the right direction. It might even get us started on the right path.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Adstar
Under Probation

Post #16

Post by Adstar »

McCulloch wrote:There are those who might make the same charge against Mormons.

How much different does a fictional character have to be before it becomes a different character? Are Santa Claus, Father Christmas and Saint Nicholas the same fellow? Do the Roman Catholics and non-Trinitarian Christians worship the same god? Is the god of the Quakers have much in common with the god of the evangelicals?
Well i believe that God has one will for mankind. So there does not need to be much difference for me to see another denomination/religion as worshipping someone other than God.

And i would be one of those some who would make the same charge against Mormons.

I am not surprised that a mormon would state that the god of islam was the same as the God of Christianity. The originators of both religions claim that an "angel" gave them the will of God.

Christians where warned about this beforehand.

Galatians 1
8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

sarabellum

hmmmm....

Post #17

Post by sarabellum »

Well this is one of thoose things I guess you'll have to take on faith...
The God of Abraham gets around...

Who am I to say which Abrahamic God is the real God of Abraham?
If a mormon tells me he believes in the christian God who am I to doubt him...

Everyone could be right or wrong, guess will find out when were dead...

Kuan
Site Supporter

Re: hmmmm....

Post #18

Post by Kuan »

sarabellum wrote:Well this is one of thoose things I guess you'll have to take on faith...
The God of Abraham gets around...

Who am I to say which Abrahamic God is the real God of Abraham?
If a mormon tells me he believes in the christian God who am I to doubt him...

Everyone could be right or wrong, guess will find out when were dead...
Yes! I agree, the who am I statement is great!
- Voltaire

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #19

Post by Kuan »

Adstar wrote: I am not surprised that a mormon would state that the god of islam was the same as the God of Christianity.
I wouldnt say they are exactly the same, but each religion claims to worship the Abrahamic god. Which one is correct? We might believe we know but we could die and discover we were incorrect. So the abrahamic god you worship is different than someone elses view of the abrahamic god. So which person worships the abrahamic god? I would say that it is the person who believes he is worshiping the abrahamic god.
The originators of both religions claim that an "angel" gave them the will of God.

Christians where warned about this beforehand.

Galatians 1
8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed.
Doesnt relate at all to the OP.
- Voltaire

Murad
Guru

Post #20

Post by Murad »

Unless Abraham worshipped multiple Gods, i think Judaism-Christianity-Islam are called "Abrahamic Religions" for a reason.

Judaism & Islam are definitely synonymous when it comes down to God (that he is 1 undivided entity without family members etc..).
Christians do deviate from this view, for e.g. the belief in the "Divine Sonship" & "Trinity".
Do the people think that they will be left to say, "We believe" without being put to the test?
We have tested those before them, for GOD must distinguish those who are truthful, and He must expose the liars.

(Quran 29:2-3)

----
Why Jesus is NOT God
---