Heaven and Hell

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

MrSigmund77
Student

Heaven and Hell

Post #1

Post by MrSigmund77 »

I know this topic has already been thoroughly discussed but whatever. I am curious to hear everyone's view of heaven and hell. Do you believe in heaven but not hell? Hell on Earth? Is hell a "lake of fire" like the Bible says. Is heaven a place where you have wings, a halo, and a harp? Or where you become one with nature. Or do you believe in neither and death is an everlasting nap?

bernee51
Site Supporter

Re: Heaven and Hell

Post #2

Post by bernee51 »

MrSigmund77 wrote:I know this topic has already been thoroughly discussed but whatever. I am curious to hear everyone's view of heaven and hell. Do you believe in heaven but not hell? Hell on Earth? Is hell a "lake of fire" like the Bible says. Is heaven a place where you have wings, a halo, and a harp? Or where you become one with nature. Or do you believe in neither and death is an everlasting nap?
mankind's ideas of heaven have made a hell of this abundant paradise
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

SomePunk
Scholar

Post #3

Post by SomePunk »

MrSigmund77 wrote:I know this topic has already been thoroughly discussed but whatever. I am curious to hear everyone's view of heaven and hell. Do you believe in heaven but not hell? Hell on Earth? Is hell a "lake of fire" like the Bible says. Is heaven a place where you have wings, a halo, and a harp? Or where you become one with nature. Or do you believe in neither and death is an everlasting nap?
On earth as it is in heaven is a the quote made by Jesus in the bible. Other groups of people believe in heaven too. It isn't just a Christian thing. You can relate it to paganism as well. Heavens also can be related to the sky, universe, stars, whatever. Harps exist on earth, halos possibly exist on earth too, but I won't go into detail. How would you know if something exist in heaven if it didn't exist on or in this one?

christianwise
Student

Post #4

Post by christianwise »

Thanks for this post. I wish to inform evryone about the site, spiritlessons.com
From the tetimonies of the people, you would be able to know what heaven and hell is like, what is there, and what goes on in there. Combination of these with the word of God that rebukes, will make you sit up to serve Jesus with purity.

micatala
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by micatala »

christianwise wrote:
Thanks for this post. I wish to inform evryone about the site, spiritlessons.com
From the tetimonies of the people, you would be able to know what heaven and hell is like, what is there, and what goes on in there. Combination of these with the word of God that rebukes, will make you sit up to serve Jesus with purity.

Moderator Comment

The forum is not a platform for advertising. Please stick to debate according to the rules.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster.
" . . . the line separating good and evil passes, not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either, but right through every human heart . . . ." Alexander Solzhenitsyn

S-word
Scholar

Post #6

Post by S-word »

I believe that I read somewhere of an old priest who was coming to the sunset of his life, and he asked God to give him a description of heaven and hell.

That night, he dreamed that he was walking toward a huge building from which the aroma of steak and kidney pie, his favouite food, filled the evening air. As he came close to the building he heard the screams and moanings of many people inside. On opening the door he was confronted by the disgusting sight of steak and kidney pie splattered everywhere; the arms of every person had no elbow and rather than hands there was a spoon on the end of their arms and it was impossible for them to transfere the food from their spoon shaped hands to their mouths which food was splattered on the walls behind them.

He then found himself walking toward another building from where again, the smell of steak and kidney pie pervaded the still night air. Yet this time, his ears were not assulted with screams and moans, but with laughter and singing. On opening the door, he saw that the people inside, also had spoon shaped hands on the ends of arms without elbows, but in this building, instead of consentrating on self, each person was feeding his neighbor beside him.

The old priest then understood the difference between heaven and hell.

Choir Loft
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by Choir Loft »

S-word wrote:

I believe that I read somewhere of an old priest who was coming to the sunset of his life, and he asked God to give him a description of heaven and hell.

That night, he dreamed that he was walking toward a huge building from which the aroma of steak and kidney pie, his favouite food, filled the evening air. As he came close to the building he heard the screams and moanings of many people inside. On opening the door he was confronted by the disgusting sight of steak and kidney pie splattered everywhere; the arms of every person had no elbow and rather than hands there was a spoon on the end of their arms and it was impossible for them to transfere the food from their spoon shaped hands to their mouths which food was splattered on the walls behind them.

He then found himself walking toward another building from where again, the smell of steak and kidney pie pervaded the still night air. Yet this time, his ears were not assulted with screams and moans, but with laughter and singing. On opening the door, he saw that the people inside, also had spoon shaped hands on the ends of arms without elbows, but in this building, instead of consentrating on self, each person was feeding his neighbor beside him.

The old priest then understood the difference between heaven and hell.
A cute story, but completely inappropriate for descriptions of the place and experience.

Why? It's too mushy, too cotton candy-ish, too unrealistic. It's also wildly untrue.

In one scene the Bible paints the picture of a lake of fire. That's hardly a pizza and beer party wouldn't you say? Even a non-believer would acknowledge that there is a wide variance in the story presentations. The lake of fire is a representation of eternal punishment and not at all desireable, unless pain is something you enjoy.

I did a quick word count of hell, hades, death and sheol. The word sheol simply means the 'abode of the dead'. I found that these words appeared a total of 452 times in the Bible.

On the other hand the words heaven and paradise appear 553 times. That was a very quick tally and I'm sure a more detailed examination would reveal more data.

References to the afterlife are significant for heaven as well as hell. Since the Word of God devotes so much of its revelations to us about these subjects, their existance as well as the details of their environment are subjects of severe and serious consideration to us.

In both instances they are considered to be places.
In both instances, references indicate an unimaginable condition.

On the one hand, descriptions of paradise indicate unimaginable blessings from God and on the other hand descriptions of hell suggest unimaginable horror.

Those who have experienced the battlefield are said to have gone through 'hell on earth'. That's hardly similar to the food fight quoted at the top of this post. I am only making earthly comparisons at this point.

I couldn't find any reference at all to the words damn, damnable or damnation, which are English in their derivation. The adverb refers to a SENTENCE, as when a judge in a court of law pronounces the punishment for a person convicted of a crime.

There is no indiction anywhere in the Bible that any human has the authority to 'damn' another. Actually it is forbidden. God says that vengance belongs to Him alone. Therefore the use of the vernacular slang Godd...n as a curse is offensive to God because such a SENTENCE belongs to Him only.

A Christian IS allowed to JUDGE as when he points out that a man is a sinner and is in danger of spending eternity in hell. A Christian isn't allowed to SENTENCE as in the use of the curse word or as in stating that so and so IS going to hell.

As for the nature of hell, the Bible says that the condemned are stripped of all they have, are removed from God's presence and are sent to a place of pain for all eternity. Not even the comfort of the nearness of other sufferers will be allowed. Solitary confinement forever.

The usual rebuttal for this sort of treatment is to object to divine harshness, anger, and retribution. The fact is that the idea of God being a creampuff is nowhere to be found in the Bible. God is not love only. God is also vengance. Deal with it.

"human beings find meaning in their relationships with other entities found in the world, whether these be inanimate objects, other people, or even a spiritual force like God."
- Martin Buber (Jewish existentialist)
I AND THOU

"...God is not the all-good force of love that rabbinic Judaism has made him out to be."
- Richard Rubenstein
AFTER AUSCHWITZ: HISTORY, THEOLOGY AND CONTEMPORARY JUDAISM (1966)

Since we have been told in God's Word that hell is such a grievous place, the logical thing to do would be to make peace with He who is able to SENTENCE a man to it.

Strider324
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by Strider324 »

Heaven = front row seats at the Final Four.

Hell = a world of mysticism devoid of Reason.

I'm not being facetious, as my personal cosmology is that Heaven or Hell is what you make of your precious Life.
"Do Good for Good is Good to do. Spurn Bribe of Heaven and Threat of Hell"
- The Kasidah of Haji abdu al-Yezdi

Choir Loft
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by Choir Loft »

Strider324 wrote:Heaven = front row seats at the Final Four.

Hell = a world of mysticism devoid of Reason.

I'm not being facetious, as my personal cosmology is that Heaven or Hell is what you make of your precious Life.
Your statement is incoherent and internally inaccurate.

Cosmology by definition is:
1. The branch of astrophysics that studies the origin and structure of the universe.
2. The metaphysical study of the origin and nature of the universe.

When you state that heaven or hell is what you make of your life you are restricting your "cosmology" to the actions of an electro-chemical life form - a beast if you will. That is a complete misuse of terminology.

I suggest that in future you substitute the word 'philosophy' or 'ideology'. That would be more suitable to your particular lack of vision.

Cosmology has absolutely NOTHING to do with one's life, unless you work for NASA or are a shaman of some sort.

The subject of heaven and hell, by definition and by nature, referrs to an extra physical place of existance (or lack of it as the case may be). ANOTHER place beyond the earthly life.

The word normally used is supernatural - where 'super' means "more than a specified catagory".

The Bible indicates that one's eternal destination depends upon what one does with GOD, not whether you've made a good life for yourself or whether you've been a rascal.

THE ISSUE is supernatural, therefore a supernatural answer is required.

Malachi-Zede-El
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by Malachi-Zede-El »

Heaven / Hell is only a state of one Mind nomore noless .