Moderator: Moderators

Mr.Badham
Sage

The Automatic Negative Response Syndrome

Post #1

Post by Mr.Badham »

I've coined a syndrome and I want credit for it;
Automatic Negative Response Syndrome

I've noticed at work or at home, any suggestion I make, or idea I have, is usually met by an automatic negative response.

ie;
Me: There are a lot of heavy horses that farmers don't use anymore. Maybe we should use them to turn generators for electricity.
Dude: No, they're not strong enough.

It's not that he's wrong. It's not that he disagrees with me. It's that it's negative and it's automatic (within 5 seconds which means without much thought/research/clarification/understanding).

How do I get credit for finding this syndrome?

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Re: The Automatic Negative Response Syndrome

Post #2

Post by Furrowed Brow »

dude you are never going to get credit, you know some doc or professor will steal the idea and pass it of us theirs. :P

Baz
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Baz »

Mr.Badham wrote:I've coined a syndrome and I want credit for it;
Automatic Negative Response Syndrome

I've noticed at work or at home, any suggestion I make, or idea I have, is usually met by an automatic negative response.

ie;
Me: There are a lot of heavy horses that farmers don't use anymore. Maybe we should use them to turn generators for electricity.
Dude: No, they're not strong enough.

It's not that he's wrong. It's not that he disagrees with me. It's that it's negative and it's automatic (within 5 seconds which means without much thought/research/clarification/understanding).

How do I get credit for finding this syndrome?

Sorry to take more than the usual 5 seconds but I can tell you that you are undoubtedly wrong. I disagree with you and there is not such syndrome.

:dance2:
\"Give me a good question over a good answer anyday.\"

ThatGirlAgain
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by ThatGirlAgain »

Mr.Badham wrote:I've noticed at work or at home, any suggestion I make, or idea I have, is usually met by an automatic negative response.
If a man talks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Yes
Dogmatism and skepticism are both, in a sense, absolute philosophies; one is certain of knowing, the other of not knowing. What philosophy should dissipate is certainty, whether of knowledge or ignorance.
- Bertrand Russell

Baz
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Baz »

ThatGirlAgain wrote:
Mr.Badham wrote:I've noticed at work or at home, any suggestion I make, or idea I have, is usually met by an automatic negative response.
If a man talks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Yes

=D>
\"Give me a good question over a good answer anyday.\"

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by McCulloch »

Mr.Badham wrote: How do I get credit for finding this syndrome?
You get no credit for naming the syndrome. You get credit for demonstrating that it exists and that it truly fits the definition of a syndrome. And since you are wrong, no credit is due.
ThatGirlAgain wrote: If a man talks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
How is he going to find his way out of the forest without a woman to ask directions for him?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by Goat »

McCulloch wrote:
Mr.Badham wrote: How do I get credit for finding this syndrome?
You get no credit for naming the syndrome. You get credit for demonstrating that it exists and that it truly fits the definition of a syndrome. And since you are wrong, no credit is due.
ThatGirlAgain wrote: If a man talks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
How is he going to find his way out of the forest without a woman to ask directions for him?
By using his Iphone GPS application, so he can get directions without admitting he is asking for directions.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Mr.Badham
Sage

Post #8

Post by Mr.Badham »

I think this whole forum is an example of "The Automatic Negative Response Syndrome.

I would also add there is a "I Gotta Get The Last Word In Syndrome" as well.

I imagine the next post as an example of both.

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Cathar1950 »

Mr.Badham wrote:I think this whole forum is an example of "The Automatic Negative Response Syndrome.

I would also add there is a "I Gotta Get The Last Word In Syndrome" as well.

I imagine the next post as an example of both.
I imagine you imaging poorly.
It is a debate forum and usually we don't debate about things we agree upon or give negative responses, unless yawning and boredom are to be seen as negative, I tend to think they should be positive responses to boring details or worse, wrong ones.

This is the place where a negative response is appropriate and if you were going to look for some NRS or Negative Response Syndrome for long, then we would look in a place where such responses were not appropriate such as birthday parties, marriages and such festive occasions.
Funerals would possible have many kinds of responses and even negative responses are not out of place.

Mr.Badham
Sage

Post #10

Post by Mr.Badham »

Why is this forum an appropriate place for negative responses, any more than it is a place for positive responses? Why didn't you say "This foum is an appropriate place for informed responses"? It's as though people here feel they must disagree.

So far no one has disagreed with me based on the definition of a syndrome.

Ask yourself this; "How long after I read his thread did I disagree with him?"

My syndrome describes a response akin to a flinch. The response is as unintentional, as it is automatic. It's not your choice to be negative.