NYT Refuses To Run Anti-Islam Ad

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

East of Eden
Under Suspension

NYT Refuses To Run Anti-Islam Ad

Post #1

Post by East of Eden »

......AFTER running an anti-Catholic ad.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/ny-time ... tholic-ad/

Score one for the Islamic war on free speech.

Anyone want to defend this?
"We are fooling ourselves if we imagine that we can ever make the authentic Gospel popular......it is too simple in an age of rationalism; too narrow in an age of pluralism; too humiliating in an age of self-confidence; too demanding in an age of permissiveness; and too unpatriotic in an age of blind nationalism." Rev. John R.W. Stott, CBE

Abraxas
Guru

Post #2

Post by Abraxas »

Other than to point out the NYT is an institution that exists in a free market and is allowed to decline to print any material it is uncomfortable with, no, I find it deeply unfortunate they would choose to print attacks on one major religion but not another. Their reasoning may be accurate, but if they are going to capitulate under threat of violence from one group, perhaps they should refrain from printing material of the type against any group.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Who needs violence when the threat of it alone'll work?

Cowards.

I propose that if these folks were so worried about our troops, they wouldn't cower in the face of violence, emboldening those who use violence to promote their agenda.

Our troops don't need our silence, they need us to stick up for, and use, the rights they're willing to die to protect.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

99percentatheism
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by 99percentatheism »

The only group in the world it is legal and celebrated in secular society to insult is Christians (and Christianity).

And besides, the NYT Ads sales reps do not want to be beheaded on the subway by those following Islam the religion of peace.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by JoeyKnothead »

99percentatheism wrote:The only group in the world it is legal and celebrated in secular society to insult is Christians (and Christianity).

And besides, the NYT Ads sales reps do not want to be beheaded on the subway by those following Islam the religion of peace.
Oh please. The Christian holy text is chock full of condemnation for all who disagree.

"Christian persecution" is a common attempt by some to put themselves out there as a "loving" but "disrespected" bunch.

When your holy text quits condemning others, perhaps that bunch of others'll quit condemning you.
-Punkinhead Martin

99percentatheism
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by 99percentatheism »

JoeyKnothead wrote:
99percentatheism wrote:The only group in the world it is legal and celebrated in secular society to insult is Christians (and Christianity).

Oh please. The Christian holy text is chock full of condemnation for all who disagree.

"Christian persecution" is a common attempt by some to put themselves out there as a "loving" but "disrespected" bunch.

When your holy text quits condemning others, perhaps that bunch of others'll quit condemning you.
Spinspinspinspinspin. You guys all use the same tactics book.

Our "Holy Book" does not condemn one repentant person at all. Every one came from the position of disagreement.

And what's laughable, is that those that hold that The Bible is myth and fairy tale make such an issue of what it says about them. Aesop hasn't written anything that causes me woe in any way.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 6:
99percentatheism wrote:
JoeyKnothead wrote: Oh please. The Christian holy text is chock full of condemnation for all who disagree.

Spinspinspinspinspin. You guys all use the same tactics book.
Does 99percentatheism deny the Bible contains the following passage:
Psalms 14-1 wrote: Only fools say in their hearts, "There is no God." They are corrupt, and their actions are evil; not one of them does good!
?
99percentatheism wrote: Our "Holy Book" does not condemn one repentant person at all. Every one came from the position of disagreement.
I never said it condemns folks who agree.

Are you capable of arguing this issue on what is actually presented, or do you prefer to use diversionary tactics?
99percentatheism wrote: And what's laughable, is that those that hold that The Bible is myth and fairy tale make such an issue of what it says about them. Aesop hasn't written anything that causes me woe in any way.
I'm just not gettin' a lot of 'Aesopists' trying to dictate how I go about living my life.

Is 99percentatheism willing to argue this issue on what is actually presented, or are strawman arguments gonna be the order of the day?

It never fails to amuse me when theists present the comparison of admitted fable to their own 'holy' texts.
-Punkinhead Martin

dusk
Sage

Post #8

Post by dusk »

Did anyone read the frist Anti-Catholic letter?
I think most of the Catholics would actually agree with many of those accusations yet not the conclusion. Still they can handle it and the ones that cannot are out of luck.
During the last years with all the stuff about the boys and priests in Catholic institutions that happened some decades ago, there was much worse in news papers and nobody complains.

The anti-islam letter is a bit over the top. As an editor I would send at least the bottom half back and demand it to be rewritten or deleted. On a newspaper that is read world wide one can formulate this message in a more diplomatic way.

I wonder if it wouldn't be so bad if Muslims would get a broadside someday so they can get over it and move on. The outrage every time mohammed is criticized is just ridiculous. Via Internet and Social Media the masses have left the bubble they used to live in. Moderate muslims in non muslim countries are used to critic and shrug it off just like the Catholics, the Mormons, the Protestants, and all the rest.
They are too sensitive maybe the equivalent of a hyposensitization therapy initialized by the Anonymous hacker group would help bring them to reason. Sorry for the Muslims that don't deserve it but it sounds like a quick fix and they will survive it. With Anonymous starting it nobody can really be blamed and ones it caught on there is just no few points to blame left.

Regardless of if it is possible? Would you think it could work or do more harm than good in the end?
Other religious people rarely burn buildings, storm consulates and stuff (ANYMORE). Somehow we have to get all the muslims into the modern age too or else it will be difficult for many more decades to come.

East of Eden
Under Suspension

Post #9

Post by East of Eden »

JoeyKnothead wrote:

Jesus never told His followers to behead non-believers, as the 'prophet' did in word and deed.

Don't you regularly condemn those who disagree with you? :-k
"We are fooling ourselves if we imagine that we can ever make the authentic Gospel popular......it is too simple in an age of rationalism; too narrow in an age of pluralism; too humiliating in an age of self-confidence; too demanding in an age of permissiveness; and too unpatriotic in an age of blind nationalism." Rev. John R.W. Stott, CBE

dusk
Sage

Post #10

Post by dusk »

Jesus didn't write the bible. Other people did based on loads of hearsay about Jesus and they added their share of believes. In the end the holy book is still filled with the stuff regardless what Jesus said and what he did not.
A proper prophet would have made sure his words are properly written down instead of wasting all his time preaching and relying on some fools to get it right later. That is at least something on can say about Mohammed his words found their way into the Qur'an in a much more direct way.