About the Rules

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

Burninglight
Guru

About the Rules

Post #1

Post by Burninglight »

One of the rules is that we PM about any comments or things outside of the topic etc, I am not sure how to do that yet. I can look at my PMs and reply, but I don't know how to start a PM to someone different. I think that should be made a little more user friendly; next, if one of us breaks a rule, it is usually unintentional; well, it is in my case.

I feel that the offender should also be contact via PM in lieu of publicly, and be given an opportunity to delete an offensive post and/or apologize publicly and it not be counted as a strike against him or her. If a moderator doesn't want to be confronted publicly neither does the offending party.

Finally, there is a window of time to make changes by editing, but after that is gone, there is nothing I know to do. There are many rules, and it takes time to remember them all. We may need corrected once in a while, but I suggest it be done privately. If there is no complying than publicly after a couple of warnings and depending on the severity of an offense. After a certain amount of posts of compliance, a member should receive a clean slate. Thank you.

otseng
Savant

Re: About the Rules

Post #2

Post by otseng »

Burninglight wrote:One of the rules is that we PM about any comments or things outside of the topic etc, I am not sure how to do that yet. I can look at my PMs and reply, but I don't know how to start a PM to someone different. I think that should be made a little more user friendly;
It's like starting a post. Look in the upper left corner for the Image button.
I feel that the offender should also be contact via PM in lieu of publicly,
One reason it's done publicly is so that everyone knows that the moderating team is dealing with it. Also, it shows what is the standard here and what is considered to be a violation of the rules.
and be given an opportunity to delete an offensive post and/or apologize publicly and it not be counted as a strike against him or her.
Everyone is still free to publicly apologize, even after a warning is given. Though apologies are not required, it shows to me that the poster is genuinely interested in trying to be civil.

Also, I do note that you apologized afterwards, so that will be taken into account.
If a moderator doesn't want to be confronted publicly neither does the offending party.
This is not the issue. The issue is that it can sidetrack a thread discussing moderating rather than the OP. We try to be open as much as possible regarding moderating and are willing to discuss, even publicly, moderator actions.
Finally, there is a window of time to make changes by editing, but after that is gone, there is nothing I know to do.
If you do need to make a modification, you can request a moderator to make it for you.
There are many rules, and it takes time to remember them all.
Believe it or not, I tried to make it as few as possible. But, if you just remember to be civil and respectful, it will get you very far.
We may need corrected once in a while, but I suggest it be done privately. If there is no complying than publicly after a couple of warnings and depending on the severity of an offense. After a certain amount of posts of compliance, a member should receive a clean slate. Thank you.
I can do this for you. I can delete your offending post and also delete the warning. What do you think?

Burninglight
Guru

Re: About the Rules

Post #3

Post by Burninglight »

otseng wrote:
Burninglight wrote:One of the rules is that we PM about any comments or things outside of the topic etc, I am not sure how to do that yet. I can look at my PMs and reply, but I don't know how to start a PM to someone different. I think that should be made a little more user friendly;
It's like starting a post. Look in the upper left corner for the Image button.
I feel that the offender should also be contact via PM in lieu of publicly,
One reason it's done publicly is so that everyone knows that the moderating team is dealing with it. Also, it shows what is the standard here and what is considered to be a violation of the rules.
and be given an opportunity to delete an offensive post and/or apologize publicly and it not be counted as a strike against him or her.
Everyone is still free to publicly apologize, even after a warning is given. Though apologies are not required, it shows to me that the poster is genuinely interested in trying to be civil.

Also, I do note that you apologized afterwards, so that will be taken into account.
If a moderator doesn't want to be confronted publicly neither does the offending party.
This is not the issue. The issue is that it can sidetrack a thread discussing moderating rather than the OP. We try to be open as much as possible regarding moderating and are willing to discuss, even publicly, moderator actions.
Finally, there is a window of time to make changes by editing, but after that is gone, there is nothing I know to do.
If you do need to make a modification, you can request a moderator to make it for you.
There are many rules, and it takes time to remember them all.
Believe it or not, I tried to make it as few as possible. But, if you just remember to be civil and respectful, it will get you very far.
We may need corrected once in a while, but I suggest it be done privately. If there is no complying than publicly after a couple of warnings and depending on the severity of an offense. After a certain amount of posts of compliance, a member should receive a clean slate. Thank you.
I can do this for you. I can delete your offending post and also delete the warning. What do you think?
Every thing you said makes sense to me. I was wrong to post that. The rules are reasonable. I hope not to offend a rule again. Thank you

ThatGirlAgain
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by ThatGirlAgain »

Burninglight

If you want to send a Private Message to someone who made a post, you can also look at the bottom of the post they made for the 'pm' button.
Dogmatism and skepticism are both, in a sense, absolute philosophies; one is certain of knowing, the other of not knowing. What philosophy should dissipate is certainty, whether of knowledge or ignorance.
- Bertrand Russell