Felix wrote:
The New Testament is written by eye witnesses and early investigators into the existence of Jesus.
What have you got to show for it? I've already given you several examples and I'll share one with you again:
Matthew 9:9. He speaks of 'Matthew' getting asked by Jesus to follow Jesus. Third person. Matthew didn't write the Gospel of Matthew. So where did the name come from? You already know:
Every tradition is that Jesus existed, even traditions held by the opponents of Christianity. That is positive evidence that Jesus existed.
Church tradition says the Gospels were written by the Apostles Matthew, Mark, Luke and John which in turn is supposed to make the Gospels eyewitness accounts. Please show me how you know this. Try and find within the manuscripts where the authors name themselves. They don't.
Paul an eyewitnesses to the resurrected Jesus.
No, you're stretching the truth. He witnessed a
spiritual Jesus. He never met the man.
Author of the Gospel of John a disciple of Jesus.
Like in Matthew, John speaks in 3rd person at the end of the manuscript. Not chapter 21 which was an addition by yet another author (hint: read the end of chapter 21 and you'll see what I mean) but at the end of chapter 20.
At some point, it becomes asinine to insist that the absence of a rebuttal is meaningless, and you're far past that point. During the first century explosion of Christianity in a hostile environment, the absence of early record of anyone claiming the movement is based on a man who didn't exist, is evidence that Jesus existed.
Ok, now ask yourself, why aren't there any records saying how this foolish man went against the authorities? Josephus is a prime example of someone that would have definitely recorded such a thing, because he was a Jewish historian and Jesus' 'rebellion' was seen as being against the Jews.
Your dragon analogy is incompetent. There aren't people giving up their lives to convince others they've seen dragons. There aren't people claiming that specific hostile authorities authorities and the general public has seen dragons. If there were such claims, these authorities and members of the general public would point out that they haven't seen dragons.
No, you've taken my example out of context. I was explaining that the role of history isn't to make a list of all the things that didn't exist. History by default returns a possible positive of something that
did exist because that's the world we live in, the one that is concerned with
real things.
I don't think there's any good explanation for the silence of historians of the time. The Christian movement was something to take note of, yet somehow the Son of Man himself doesn't get a single mention?
I wrote up a post on a different forum showing that Heracles/Hercules the Son of Zeus/Jupiter has more
secular mentions that Jesus did. I might post that somewhere for you benefit.
Atheism is an inherently disingenuous philosophy.
Atheism isn't a philosophy. It's nothing more than a lack of belief in
any god. So pretty much the difference between you and me is that I believe in one less god than you.
Your effort to cast doubt on the reliability of the positive evidence is an act of desperation.
Desperation?! I used to be a born again Christian. Saved up my pennies to do missionary work as well.
As a Free Thinker I'm merely lead by reason. If I can't logically get from claim A to it's proof B, then I don't see any reason to believe that it is the truth, whatever it might be.
Apologists for Christianity have correctly pointed out that evidence for the historicity of Jesus is actually far stronger than our evidence for most anything else we believe about ancient history.
Quite the biased opinion. As I said, Hercules gets more mentions than the forgery known as Jesus. I'll post that up sometime.