Is the foreskin God's mistake?

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

Jax Agnesson
Guru

Is the foreskin God's mistake?

Post #1

Post by Jax Agnesson »

If it wasn't a mistake, why is it important to snip it off?

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Re: Is the foreskin God's mistake?

Post #2

Post by ttruscott »

Jax Agnesson wrote:If it wasn't a mistake, why is it important to snip it off?
It is symbolic of our putting away the sins of our old life, of dying to our addictions to become reborn into the faith, of the cutting away of our sinful addictions so that we may be alble to choose holiness.

It recognizes the pain of such a cutting off of our lives and our addictions and the intimate quality of these matters.

But it is not what causes enlightenment or rebirth...it is a symbol only.

Acts 15:24: "... we have heard that some who went out from us have troubled you with words, unsettling your souls, saying, 'You must be circumcised and keep the law' -- to whom we gave no such commandment ..."

In other words, seek Chirst, not marks and signs in your flesh / life.

Peace to you, Ted
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

His Name Is John
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by His Name Is John »

I thought that it was in the most sacred moment (the sexual act), that they remembered God.

That's what I was told (although I haven't really reaserched it), but I may be wrong.

Burninglight
Guru

Post #4

Post by Burninglight »

Jax Agnesson wrote:If it wasn't a mistake, why is it important to snip it off?
No of course not; it was part the Abrahamic covenant.

rreppy
Student

foreskins

Post #5

Post by rreppy »

My wife and I had a long debate when my son was born about whether or not to circumsize. There was no particular religious motivation to push us either way, because my wife is Methodist and I'm Buddhist, and neither of our spiritual backgrounds made much of a fuss about it either way.
What made up my mind was an informal poll I took on a couple dozen women associates of mine. What I asked was what their preference would be as far as performing fellatio with their Significant Other; foreskin or no foreskin?
"No foreskin" won by a landslide, and I scheduled the circumcision.
True story.

rreppy
Student

foreskins

Post #6

Post by rreppy »

My wife and I had a long debate when my son was born about whether or not to circumsize. There was no particular religious motivation to push us either way, because my wife is Methodist and I'm Buddhist, and neither of our spiritual backgrounds made much of a fuss about it either way.
What made up my mind was an informal poll I took on a couple dozen women associates of mine. What I asked was what their preference would be as far as performing fellatio with their Significant Other; foreskin or no foreskin?
True story.

Burninglight
Guru

Re: foreskins

Post #7

Post by Burninglight »

rreppy wrote:My wife and I had a long debate when my son was born about whether or not to circumsize. There was no particular religious motivation to push us either way, because my wife is Methodist and I'm Buddhist, and neither of our spiritual backgrounds made much of a fuss about it either way.
True story.
Circumcison is cleaner; there is less potential for infection for either partner.

rreppy
Student

Post #8

Post by rreppy »

Jax Agnesson wrote: If it wasn't a mistake, why is it important to snip it off?
I wouldn't call it a mistake, because if you were wandering about the African savannah 600,000 years ago in the hot sun, you'd be happy for something to keep the head of your unit from dehydrating and getting sunburn and fissures!

It served a purpose then. Today, in the 21st century, not so much.

HaLi8993
Guru

Post #9

Post by HaLi8993 »

@ Jax,

It is essential that we obey the command of God in obedience to His command. God is the  Creator, the All-Knowing, the All-Aware, who created mankind and knows what is good for them and what is not good for them. 

We carry out this obligation willingly, in submission to and out of love for God, and seeking reward with Him. 

God does not command anything unless there is a wisdom behind it and it is good whether people know that or not. 

To say it is a mistake would nit make sense because this ruling came to bring benefits and ward off harm. Not to cause pain and difficulty, the pain compared to the overall benefits is trivial.

Circumcision is also the perfection of the pure monotheism of the religion of Ibraaheem (Abraham). 

HEALTH BENEFITS OF CIRCUMCISION:

The circumcision of newborn boys (within the 1st month of life) has numerous health benefits for example:

1. Protection against local infection in the penis.

2.  Prevents Infections of the urethra. 

3. Protection against cancer of the penis

4. Reduces the risk of sexually transmitted diseases (STD's) such as AIDS

5.  Protection of wives against cervical cancer. 

Shabi

Post #10

Post by Shabi »

Can you show me where in the Bible God ordered circumcision?

Also, I found these two references to circumcision in the Bible which show they might not have been talking about physical circumcision, and also that they said it didn't matter whether you were circumcised or not.

Colossians 2:11
KJV - In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ
NIV - In him you were also circumcised, in the putting off of the sinful nature, not with a circumcision done by the hands of men but with the circumcision done by Christ,

1 Corinthians 7:19
KJV - Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God.
NIV - Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing. Keeping God's commands is what counts.

Can you show me in the Bible where circumcision is ordered directly by God? I'm not implying that it's not there, just saying I couldn't find it.

Also I submit that it is genital mutilation of children. Finally people are gonna masturbate anyway whether they're circumcised or not.