those cuffs

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

Crazee
Scholar

those cuffs

Post #1

Post by Crazee »

I was wondering if the usefulness of those cuffs and the "under probation" signage on people that have broken rules could maybe be reconsidered.

I prefer not to have presuppositions about people before interacting. The words and the picture (the picture especially) reflexively make me think that this person is more likely to uncivil or somesuch in their response.
"Let yourself be silently drawn by the strangle pull of what you really love. It will not lead you astray."
-Rumi

otseng
Savant

Post #2

Post by otseng »

If you have another suggestion for another image, I'm open to it.

The purpose of it was to help discourage people from being on probation. If there's some "scarlet letter" placed on offenders, the hope is that others would be inclined to not follow suit. (Though I'm not sure if this has really been very effective.)

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by McCulloch »

How about revoking some kind of privilege while on probation? Perhaps not displaying an avatar at all, being prevented from starting new debate or discussion threads, or something like that.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

LiamOS
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by LiamOS »

Not displaying an avatar seems like a good idea. If it was combined with no signature, and perhaps a colour change of their username, it might be still somewhat noticeable without being as overt as the current cuffs.

Crazee
Scholar

Post #5

Post by Crazee »

otseng wrote: If you have another suggestion for another image, I'm open to it.

The purpose of it was to help discourage people from being on probation. If there's some "scarlet letter" placed on offenders, the hope is that others would be inclined to not follow suit. (Though I'm not sure if this has really been very effective.)
AkiThePirate wrote: Not displaying an avatar seems like a good idea. If it was combined with no signature, and perhaps a colour change of their username, it might be still somewhat noticeable without being as overt as the current cuffs.

Hmmm, maybe a picture of a smiley face with a dunce cap on top of it, this would make me laugh if I saw it:Adult Dunce. Mildly funny, but not degrading. My opinion is either to change the picture or remove it and just have the under probation lettering. Taking away the avatar might be a good idea too but I imagine there would be a number of people that prefer the added cuffs icon to having no avatar.
"Let yourself be silently drawn by the strangle pull of what you really love. It will not lead you astray."
-Rumi

Shermana
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by Shermana »

I recommend a dunce hat image. Sitting in the corner to boot. If anything the Cuffs may be a sort of trophy. Needs something more embarassing. Maybe add something summarizing their offenses like "Uncivil, makes personal attacks, repeats unsubstantiated claims, uses undue profanity".

Edit: Apparently this suggestion was made right before me and that adult dunce looks hilarious. Except I believe it should in fact be "Degrading", it's not like these are political prisoners or anything, these are people whose egos have gotten out of line and have made what should normally be a pleasant experience for others aggravating and not because of reasons related to the actual debate and facts.

Image[/img]

Crazee
Scholar

Post #7

Post by Crazee »

Shermana wrote:

I recommend a dunce hat image. Sitting in the corner to boot. If anything the Cuffs may be a sort of trophy. Needs something more embarassing. Maybe add something summarizing their offenses like "Uncivil, makes personal attacks, repeats unsubstantiated claims, uses undue profanity".

Edit: Apparently this suggestion was made right before me and that adult dunce looks hilarious. Except I believe it should in fact be "Degrading", it's not like these are political prisoners or anything, these are people whose egos have gotten out of line and have made what should normally be a pleasant experience for others aggravating and not because of reasons related to the actual debate and facts.

Image[/img]
Haha, great minds think alike O:). Yeh maybe it is a good idea to keep it slightly more on the degrading side in order to incentivize politeness. I'm just up for a changeup from the cuffs and some form of the dunce picture seems like it would work out well.
-Rumi