Should counseling be provided to members before deletion?

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

AdHoc
Guru

Should counseling be provided to members before deletion?

Post #1

Post by AdHoc »

It's a little disturbing to see the requests for account deletion and then the efficiency with which the request is carried out.

Should there not be some discussion before the request is granted?

At least ask why? It seems so final.

I'm partly joking but not completely

otseng
Savant

Post #2

Post by otseng »

When someone posts an account deletion, I'm assuming the poster has made a conscious decision to leave the forum. So, in practically all cases, I'm willing to honor that request. The only one that was the exception recently was Haven.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #3

Post by Divine Insight »

I think people should be counseled before they come here.

In fact, I think people should be counseled before they're even born, but that's a whole other topic.

AdHoc
Guru

Post #4

Post by AdHoc »

otseng wrote: When someone posts an account deletion, I'm assuming the poster has made a conscious decision to leave the forum. So, in practically all cases, I'm willing to honor that request. The only one that was the exception recently was Haven.
Yes of course you are right but it might be a good idea to have a sticky thread where they can post their reason for leaving or just a "goodbye cruel forum" last word.

And now that you mention it... have you considered what could've happened if you were a little quicker on the draw with Haven?

AdHoc
Guru

Post #5

Post by AdHoc »

Divine Insight wrote: I think people should be counseled before they come here.

In fact, I think people should be counseled before they're even born, but that's a whole other topic.
Ha! I agree.
Imagine you are counselling someone before they were born. You're wrapping up the session. As they are putting the lid on their pen and closing their note book you say, "Now if you only remember one thing from our session today, remember this..."

What would it be?

otseng
Savant

Post #6

Post by otseng »

AdHoc wrote: And now that you mention it... have you considered what could've happened if you were a little quicker on the draw with Haven?
I intentionally didn't respond quickly to Haven. I didn't want to see him go. And apparently many others felt the same way.

AdHoc
Guru

Post #7

Post by AdHoc »

otseng wrote:
AdHoc wrote: And now that you mention it... have you considered what could've happened if you were a little quicker on the draw with Haven?
I intentionally didn't respond quickly to Haven. I didn't want to see him go. And apparently many others felt the same way.
Yes this is what put this thought in my mind... at the end of the day it's abit like a game of lifeboat.

When my day comes I'll take note of how quickly you pull the trigger :lol:

Angel

Post #8

Post by Angel »

I think counseling is too much but people should at least give a reason for wanting their account deleted. This would have to be optional of course but it's worth putting it in the instructions to not only type out you want your account deleted but to please mention why if they can. I think that will help the Mods and Admins know why people leave the forum, especially if it's due to a problem that can be resolved. For instance, I want to know why did Goose, Zzyzx, and Chaosborders leave.

Angel

Post #9

Post by Angel »

Disregard the last sentence about Zzyzx and Chaosborders in my last post. I already asked that in another place http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... hp?t=20041

olavisjo
Site Supporter

Re: Should counseling be provided to members before deletion

Post #10

Post by olavisjo »

AdHoc wrote: At least ask why? It seems so final.
It does seem final.
So why delete? Why not just stay away for a while, then just drop in to say hi every now and then?

There is a psychological cost to debate, especially this topic(religion), so a little counseling would be good for all of us.
"I believe in no religion. There is absolutely no proof for any of them, and from a philosophical standpoint Christianity is not even the best. All religions, that is, all mythologies to give them their proper name, are merely man’s own invention..."

C.S. Lewis