Custom Poll for a head-to-head debate

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

Angel

Custom Poll for a head-to-head debate

Post #1

Post by Angel »

I'm in the process of setting up a head-to-head debate with someone that I've been debating on YouTube. They joined the forum just yesterday as pentatonic02. I wanted to know if a poll can be made that restricts the type of people that can vote because I only want members who have been members BEFORE 12-6-2012 to be able to vote. The reason behind that is the poll will be for voting on a winner, and I want to avoid having anyone create new usernames so they can vote more than one time.

The only other alternative I'm considering is to have a select group (like a jury) of voters but I'd have to get my opponent to agree on that. I'm just doing some pre-planning right now because my opponent and I are still on the negotiating phase of the debate so hopefully it will take place. The debate will be on if 1 Corinthians 7:2 prohibits polygamy.

My question..
Can a custom poll be made for what I need in the above statement?

Are there any alternatives to avoid voting fraud, like maybe having people make a post that mentions their vote instead of clicking on an answer from a poll?

otseng
Savant

Post #2

Post by otseng »

One possible way is to have a usergroup that can only vote on it. People would have to request to join a usergroup. Then only members in that usergroup would be able to vote. So, there's control over who can vote, but there's anonymity during the voting.

Angel

Post #3

Post by Angel »

otseng wrote: One possible way is to have a usergroup that can only vote on it. People would have to request to join a usergroup. Then only members in that usergroup would be able to vote. So, there's control over who can vote, but there's anonymity during the voting.
Excellent idea!.. Thanks.

Here's the hard question.. Since it's close to Christmas time, since other head-to-head debaters may want to use the same usergroup for their voting, would you mind making the usergroup for me free of charge? I'm not sure if I should wait until the debate has been completely agreed upon by my opponent before I post a usergroup request.

Also, if a person decides to leave the usergroup would their [edit] VOTE still stay in place?

My last question... How can people request to be in the usergroup? I also may not want the usergroup after the h2h debate is over so maybe someone else can pick it up and add their own guidelines to it.
----------------------------------------------

If my opponent and I can agree on the debate and the usergroup is free then here goes..

Usergroup name: Head-to-Head Debate Voter or maybe just H2H Debate Voter?

Usergroup description: Be willing to vote for a winner based on who made the more logical or more valid arguments/points.

Membership fee/type: Otseng may pick up the tab. Only for those who joined this forum before 12-6-2012.

otseng
Savant

Post #4

Post by otseng »

Angel wrote: Here's the hard question.. Since it's close to Christmas time, since other head-to-head debaters may want to use the same usergroup for their voting, would you mind making the usergroup for me free of charge?
It can be a temporary free usergroup.
Also, if a person decides to leave the usergroup would their [edit] VOTE still stay in place?
Yes.
How can people request to be in the usergroup?
I'll make it an open group.
I also may not want the usergroup after the h2h debate is over so maybe someone else can pick it up and add their own guidelines to it.
I'll delete the group afterwards.
If my opponent and I can agree on the debate and the usergroup is free then here goes..
I'll create it after you two start the debate.

Angel

Post #5

Post by Angel »

Sounds good, Otseng.. Thanks for your help and for taking the time to respond.