Science Forum

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

A Troubled Man
Guru

Science Forum

Post #1

Post by A Troubled Man »

While I understand there is a forum called Science and Religion, the purpose of the forum is to discuss how science and religion are related.

Is it possible to create a forum specifically for discussing science? I make this request simply due to the fact there are many science forums that have religion and philosophy forums contained within which often get a lot of traffic and have little to do with the other forums.

Within the forum, threads discussing astronomy, cosmology, physics and astrophysics, biology, etc., would be an excellent place to help others understand those fields of study without having to go elsewhere.

For example, the first thread I would venture to start would be that of The Scientific Method, it's steps and process and how it's used to construct and accurate representation of our universe. It would make for a good stickie.

Since science can be considered a world view, it would be an appropriate forum to add.

Thanks.

otseng
Savant

Post #2

Post by otseng »

Would it be only for discussions or also for debating science?

A Troubled Man
Guru

Post #3

Post by A Troubled Man »

otseng wrote: Would it be only for discussions or also for debating science?
For both, as well as informative and learning. Often, there are new discoveries and theories announced or changes to current ones.

For example, the latest particle accelerator discoveries, breakthroughs in cancer research, near earth asteroid passes, habitable planet observations, Mars rover's, solar activities, global weather patterns... basically, anything that can affect us or have implications in positive or negative ways.

We can see that through many threads here they often lead to providing evidence of some known qualifier or working theory, or where there is confusion and misunderstanding that can derail from the religious OP. This could be a forum to pursue those discussions and debates or to further explain the scientific understanding.

Thanks again.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by McCulloch »

A Troubled Man wrote:
otseng wrote: Would it be only for discussions or also for debating science?
For both, as well as informative and learning.
This is primarily a debating site. As such, we separate the discussion forums from the debating ones. So, it appears as if you are asking for two Science forums, one for debate and one for discussion.

This is also primarily a debating site about things to do with religion. Science debates do happen in other places where people with the expertise on those topics choose to join. I am not sure that it is within the scope of this site to open debate forums with no reference to religion.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

otseng
Savant

Post #5

Post by otseng »

I'm not opposed to creating a subforum for discussing science. I suspect though that it will be difficult to keep them from turning into debates.

I'm hesitant on creating a subforum just to debate science that has nothing to do with religion. It'd open the door for other areas for debate such as politics, which I'd rather not get into.

What I'd suggest is to request a custom science subforum for discussion only. You can then run the show there and make sure it's only for discussion and not really for debating. You don't need to request a usergroup for this, so the total cost would be 5000 tokens. You can request it here:
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... php?t=3281

A Troubled Man
Guru

Post #6

Post by A Troubled Man »

McCulloch wrote:
This is primarily a debating site. As such, we separate the discussion forums from the debating ones. So, it appears as if you are asking for two Science forums, one for debate and one for discussion.
I'm asking for one forum to encapsulate all because this is a religious forum. Why is that a problem?
This is also primarily a debating site about things to do with religion. Science debates do happen in other places where people with the expertise on those topics choose to join. I am not sure that it is within the scope of this site to open debate forums with no reference to religion.
Science forums have no reference to religions and it is not within their scopes either, yet they have those forums, notwithstanding. Many forums have subforums that have no reference. Again, why is this a problem?

I'm completely missing your points here.

A Troubled Man
Guru

Post #7

Post by A Troubled Man »

otseng wrote: I'm not opposed to creating a subforum for discussing science. I suspect though that it will be difficult to keep them from turning into debates.
That's not a problem at all. Debates or discussions can go into one forum.
I'm hesitant on creating a subforum just to debate science that has nothing to do with religion.
Many forum have subforums that are not part of their platform, not a problem. The idea is that it increases memberships, which I assume would interest you.
It'd open the door for other areas for debate such as politics, which I'd rather not get into.
Sorry, I don't see the connection there. Science is one thing, politics another.
What I'd suggest is to request a custom science subforum for discussion only. You can then run the show there and make sure it's only for discussion and not really for debating. You don't need to request a usergroup for this, so the total cost would be 5000 tokens. You can request it here:
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... php?t=3281
There are plenty of science discussions here that wind up derailing religious discussions. I doubt a subforum in which others need to request access will work, most won't even bother, they'll just keep using existing forums.

My suggestion will only serve to improve things, but if you see no problems with the current platform and aren't that interested in increasing membership, I have no problem with that, either.

Cheers.

Thanks for responding.

otseng
Savant

Post #8

Post by otseng »

A Troubled Man wrote: I doubt a subforum in which others need to request access will work, most won't even bother, they'll just keep using existing forums.
No request will be necessary, that's why a new usergroup will not need to be created. Only the subforum will be created and all will have access to it.

A Troubled Man
Guru

Post #9

Post by A Troubled Man »

otseng wrote:
A Troubled Man wrote: I doubt a subforum in which others need to request access will work, most won't even bother, they'll just keep using existing forums.
No request will be necessary, that's why a new usergroup will not need to be created. Only the subforum will be created and all will have access to it.
Will do, thanks for that.