Christian Forums ...Why?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

KCKID
Guru

Christian Forums ...Why?

Post #1

Post by KCKID »

For a few weeks I've been 'lurking' on another Christian Forum wondering whether or not to sign up. Since I generally choose my battles to fight - those that I have an interest/knowledge in or, indeed, those that I may be quite passionate about - I DO have a habit of coming on pretty strong from the get-go. This, quite naturally, irks the 'oldies' of the forum somewhat that someone no one knows dares to jump in and rock the boat with barely a 'how-do-you-do'. I may very well feel the same about a new kid in town questioning something that we 'old timers' have already pretty well established. But, I hope not.

While I don't know if I should, or even that I'm allowed to, mention the forum by name, I DID sign up to it so that I could respond to a specific post that really annoyed me. The thread is about homosexuality/gay marriage (naturally) and is, as usual, a hot topic. I should have known better than to put in my nickel's worth because most of the posts on the 41 pages of debate (well, it's hardly a debate) are hostile to homosexuality because 'God sez that it's an abomination' and that's that! It was just like the lamb among the wolves scenerio and, as said, I should have known better. But, this one particular post by an 'old timer' and very popular with the other religious zealots made the claim: "The Lord finds homosexuality/gay marriage to be reprehensible." I just couldn't let that lie pass without some kind of recourse. So, I asked of the poster to either present the scripture that states that Jesus finds homosexuality/gay marriage to be reprehensible or retract the statement. I also said that I'd respect him for retracting the statement which would be the right thing for him to do since such a scripture does not exist and that I'd raise the issue no more. Well, all hell has broken loose by the poster in question and his band of like-minded forum buddies. I'm a stone's throw away from being banned (not that I really want to stick around anyway) simply because I asked for scripture to back the claim or a withdrawal of the statement. Obviously, I have the guy backed into a corner ...I know it and he knows it.

Question/s: Why would such a reasonable question from me cause such a furore among professed Christians on a Christian Forum? I wanted scripture or retraction. The insults that have been hurled at me are SO unreasonable that they border on frothing-at-the-mouth hysteria. Have any of you experienced anything similar from such a band of merry men who tend to follow the leader and will resort to and continue to perpetuate lies rather than be seen to be backing down? Why is it SO important for some Christians on Christian sites to hurl their hate message at homosexual people (or those they consider to be 'their supporters') that they refuse to even CONSIDER other alternatives or interpretations of the scriptures that they use to do so? What kind of mentality is taking place among Christians when the term 'debate' is seen to be a threat?

Obviously, I have my own theories but I'd be interested in input from the rest of you as I'm always anxious to learn something new.

AdHoc
Guru

Post #61

Post by AdHoc »

KCKID wrote:
AdHoc wrote: So did this person on the other forum (which shall remain unnamed) refuse to post scriptural evidence for their belief?
Yes, they refused since they would be hard pressed to post such a scripture that doesn't exist.
AdHoc wrote:If so what reason did they give for denying your request?... Or were you met with silence?
Oh no ...certainly not silence. Others responded for a while on his behalf with insults and immature and scripturally inept diatribe simply to make me feel uncomfortable for daring to ask such a question. After all, I was a newcomer to the forum and my question jerked everyone (not quite everyone, I had one supporter) out of their comfort zone which is to bash homosexuals.

The poster himself responded afterwards with what he thought was a challenge for me which met the approval of his small but loyal followers who thought that his challenge was clever. He said that he would respond to my question as soon as I presented scripture that claimed wife bashing and selling children into slavery was approved by Jesus. I'm perfectly willing to send the forum link by PM to anyone interested. At the same time I don't want to imply that this topic is that important. It's just that I find some professed Christians on some of these Christian forums to be quite horrible people and totally intolerant to another's viewpoint if it dares to clash with theirs ...
In my mind, they were out of line and should've conceded the point to you.

But I guess if there is any consolation homosexuality is fairly widely accepted in western media and society so you will find it more difficult in the future to find people who will argue against it.

I have just been informed in this very thread that the "age of homophobe bashing is about to begin". This shouldn't concern me personally because I have nothing against homosexuals and I do not consider myself a homophobe... Problem is other people probably do because I disagree with homosexuality.

Tex
Banned
Banned

Post #62

Post by Tex »

Ooberman wrote:
AdHoc wrote:
Ooberman wrote:
AdHoc wrote:
Ooberman wrote:
AdHoc wrote: Can a person not express an honest opinion without being called a moron, a raving lunatic and an idiot?
Yes, unless they are an idiot and express idiotic thoughts.
Tex claims the gays could be normal like the rest of us. Yet, being gay is normal.
He even admits it when he adds that being blind and deaf are normal, too.
He's just rambling because his hatred towards gays.
I call it like i see it.
He admits gay is normal, but then says "maybe they can be normal".
Thats an idiotic statement regardless of the topic.
I don't believe for one second that Tex hates homosexual people. Everyone is entitled to their opinions as long as they direct their aggression towards the argument and not the person... Just my opinion.
Only tex knows, but his statement, about gays or not, is irrational.
He doesn't know any more than any one else where a gos intended us to stick our dicks. He just thinks that because penis and vaginas make babies, it must be from a god. That's idiotic.
I can stick my schlong in a tree, or my finger in a caserole, or my foot in a lake. What the hell does the great Tex know about what SHOULD be the case?
Fair enough yes you can stick your body parts in trees and food and stuff but don't be surprised if someone else says thats not healthy behaviour.
Is being healthy the goal of life now? Is that what God wanted? That may be what some people want, but if you ask the Missionaries who worked to ease the pain of lepers, you might be disappointed.

Maybe they should have put health first, too, right?

Or, every doctor and nurse?

The point is that poeple come on here pretending to know what everything is about because they read it in their Holy Book of choice, forgetting that there are many other views, and that they may be horribly wrong.

Meanwhile, there are people who love other people and they happen to have the same body parts. Tex and others are part of a group - a tradition - that has killed, attacked or denigrated those people and it's shameful.

The age of gay bashing is over. The age of bashing homophobes has begun.

Reap what you sow.
Still no answer to logical questions. Just looking to fight.

KCKID
Guru

Post #63

Post by KCKID »

AdHoc wrote:
KCKID wrote:
AdHoc wrote: So did this person on the other forum (which shall remain unnamed) refuse to post scriptural evidence for their belief?
Yes, they refused since they would be hard pressed to post such a scripture that doesn't exist.
AdHoc wrote:If so what reason did they give for denying your request?... Or were you met with silence?
Oh no ...certainly not silence. Others responded for a while on his behalf with insults and immature and scripturally inept diatribe simply to make me feel uncomfortable for daring to ask such a question. After all, I was a newcomer to the forum and my question jerked everyone (not quite everyone, I had one supporter) out of their comfort zone which is to bash homosexuals.

The poster himself responded afterwards with what he thought was a challenge for me which met the approval of his small but loyal followers who thought that his challenge was clever. He said that he would respond to my question as soon as I presented scripture that claimed wife bashing and selling children into slavery was approved by Jesus. I'm perfectly willing to send the forum link by PM to anyone interested. At the same time I don't want to imply that this topic is that important. It's just that I find some professed Christians on some of these Christian forums to be quite horrible people and totally intolerant to another's viewpoint if it dares to clash with theirs ...
In my mind, they were out of line and should've conceded the point to you.

But I guess if there is any consolation homosexuality is fairly widely accepted in western media and society so you will find it more difficult in the future to find people who will argue against it.
But most Christians will probably never concede that homosexuality is 'okay'. I doubt that this animosity toward homosexuality is driven by anything the Bible may or may not say about the subject anyway. Most Christians simply use the Bible to support their own 'unease' about homosexuality. Using the Bible/God/Jesus to condemn homosexuality is just a smoke screen and is deception big time! People have been using the Bible for such purposes pretty well forever. As I've said many times on this forum, if Christians were REALLY concerned about 'what God sez' they would be just as zealously opposed to divorce and remarriage as they are toward homosexuality ...actually much more so since the former is FAR MORE rampant within the Church. That they don't seem to bat an eye over this speaks volumes as to their REAL intent toward homosexuality which is nothing to do with the Bible but purely personal.
AdHoc wrote:I have just been informed in this very thread that the "age of homophobe bashing is about to begin".
These are just words and probably little more. I wouldn't take it too seriously. But then again, if a person IS actually a homophobe and continually shows their backside in making life unpleasnt for the homosexual then perhaps, yes, their butt needs to be kicked.
AdHoc wrote:This shouldn't concern me personally because I have nothing against homosexuals and I do not consider myself a homophobe... Problem is other people probably do because I disagree with homosexuality.
The only ones that I would call homophobes would be those who, as said above, go out of their way to make life unpleasant for the homosexual. That said, I don't think that it's a matter of agreeing with or not agreeing with homosexuality. It's a matter of acknowledging that homosexuals are real people with real needs and leave it at that. I hate rap music with a passion and so I don't listen to it. Likewise, for those who are not tuned into homosexuality, then don't participate in it.

Wootah
Savant

Post #64

Post by Wootah »

Ooberman wrote:
AdHoc wrote: Can a person not express an honest opinion without being called a moron, a raving lunatic and an idiot?
Tex claims the gays could be normal like the rest of us. Yet, being gay is normal.
I call it like i see it.
Actually Tex was saying that being gay, blind or deaf are not normal however the blind and deaf want to change their state but homosexuals don't.

KCKID
Guru

Post #65

Post by KCKID »

Wootah wrote:
Ooberman wrote:
I call it like i see it.
Actually Tex was saying that being gay, blind or deaf are not normal however the blind and deaf want to change their state but homosexuals don't.
I think most of us knew that. However, it's rather ignorant of Tex to paint any group with the same broad brush. This is not done with heterosexuals so why do so with homosexuals? There are many homosexuals that I've heard from/about over the years (homosexuality entered into my studies of psychology and sociology at uni) and just about all of them wanted to change their sexual orientation initially. They knew they didn't fit in with a predominantly heterosexual society and, being young, wanted so much to do that. I know personally one young gay man who practically wore his knees out praying to God to make him straight. He tried dating girls in the hope that this might fan some latent heterosexual spark. It didn't. He eventually resigned himself to THE FACT that he IS gay and that that is quite okay.

So, the Tex's of this world need to stop flaunting their ignorance (as in their lack of knowledge with regard to human sexuality) with their anti-gay stance. That said, I kinda like Tex and I don't approve anyone being rude to him.

Ooberman
Banned
Banned

Post #66

Post by Ooberman »

Wootah wrote:
Ooberman wrote:
I call it like i see it.
Then he sure phrased this poorly...
Tex wrote:
Ooberman wrote: Homosexuality is normal, you idiot.
So are the blind and the deaf.

If I said "Balls are round" and someone said "So are keegaks", would you think he meant to say that keegaks are round or not?

Regardless, I see no reason to listen to religious blathering when it comes to social policy. Christianity doesn't claim, and in fact has no value, in determining public policy.
Christianity is a personal religion. People practice it to get into Heaven. It's not like Islam that purports to have an answer for government laws.

Therefore, there is no reason we need to take one iota of thought from the Bible about homosexuality. So what if the Bible thinks anything is a sin?

It's not an authority. Even Monty Python has a better grasp on governmental authority.

Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical story about a man casting demons out of pigs or singing psalms on a cross.

Appealing to the Bible that homosexuality is wrong is not an argument. Neither is "its not the healthiest thing to do", Neither is "it doesn't make babies", neither is "it's icky". Neither is "it leads to people bashing gay people"

There are no arguments against homosexuality. The Bible asserts there is something wrong with it but explains their objection in no more depth than "God said so."

Well, if God has a problem with gays, let him come down here are make his argument. Until then, it obvious that God doesn't care and the Bible is a man-made book.
Thinking about God's opinions and thinking about your own opinions uses an identical thought process. - Tomas Rees

Tex
Banned
Banned

Post #67

Post by Tex »

KCKID wrote:
Wootah wrote:
Ooberman wrote:
AdHoc wrote:
Can a person not express an honest opinion without being called a moron, a raving lunatic and an idiot?

I call it like i see it.

I think most of us knew that. However, it's rather ignorant of Tex to paint any group with the same broad brush. This is not done with heterosexuals so why do so with homosexuals? There are many homosexuals that I've heard from/about over the years (homosexuality entered into my studies of psychology and sociology at uni) and just about all of them wanted to change their sexual orientation initially. They knew they didn't fit in with a predominantly heterosexual society and, being young, wanted so much to do that. I know personally one young gay man who practically wore his knees out praying to God to make him straight. He tried dating girls in the hope that this might fan some latent heterosexual spark. It didn't. He eventually resigned himself to THE FACT that he IS gay and that that is quite okay.

So, the Tex's of this world need to stop flaunting their ignorance (as in their lack of knowledge with regard to human sexuality) with their anti-gay stance. That said, I kind like Tex and I don't approve anyone being rude to him.

There are plenty of people that are born with mental illness. These people also get on their knee and pray. Guess what they still are the same. But wait....there is medication that can help them....So they take it.

Now I will glady say ....If a person want to be gay ....Most of the time it's because they were born this way and cannot be faulted for that.
But to say now....That this is how it should be and no help is needed in this area is also close minded.

If people can't see the difference between the purpose of a man and a women.....It's because, as science has proved....It is due to a chemical imbalance. Therefore .....yes God made them this way, just like anyone else with chemical imbalances.

But due to the hate of people toward this illness....instead of trying to help, like they do for other illnesses, people always acts stupid for thing they don't understand.

The question is still there.....If science can make couples choose what they want their child to be from sex to sexuality.....Who would choose their child to be gay?

The only ones who could choose this would be a gay person. But for this moment in time ....only gay women can carry children. Still need sperm from a male....No need for the sex part of it. Now all you have to do is get men to have children and who really cares about being male or female or even married.( as per religion)

this is life.

otseng
Savant

Post #68

Post by otseng »

Ooberman wrote: Homosexuality is normal, you idiot.
Ooberman wrote: What a maroon.
Ooberman wrote: Are you for real? Or are you just a raving lunatic?
:warning: Moderator Final Warning

We do not allow anyone calling another person any derogatory names on this forum.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator final warnings serve as the last strike towards users. Additional violations will result in a probation vote. Further infractions will lead to banishment. Any challenges or replies to moderator warnings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Baz
Site Supporter

Post #69

Post by Baz »

just a thought...
;)

If you believe that god has a hand in all things, then god must be responsible for everybody’s sexual orientation.

:-k
Perhaps we need a lot more same sex relationships to help with the present world overpopulation problem.
That would show that god knows what’s best for us.
\"Give me a good question over a good answer anyday.\"

AdHoc
Guru

Post #70

Post by AdHoc »

KCKID wrote:
But most Christians will probably never concede that homosexuality is 'okay'. I doubt that this animosity toward homosexuality is driven by anything the Bible may or may not say about the subject anyway. Most Christians simply use the Bible to support their own 'unease' about homosexuality. Using the Bible/God/Jesus to condemn homosexuality is just a smoke screen and is deception big time! People have been using the Bible for such purposes pretty well forever. As I've said many times on this forum, if Christians were REALLY concerned about 'what God sez' they would be just as zealously opposed to divorce and remarriage as they are toward homosexuality ...actually much more so since the former is FAR MORE rampant within the Church. That they don't seem to bat an eye over this speaks volumes as to their REAL intent toward homosexuality which is nothing to do with the Bible but purely personal.
That's actually a really good point, there is no scriptural support for remarriage after divorce but that hasn't stopped some people from asserting there is
KCKID wrote:
AdHoc wrote:I have just been informed in this very thread that the "age of homophobe bashing is about to begin".
These are just words and probably little more. I wouldn't take it too seriously. But then again, if a person IS actually a homophobe and continually shows their backside in making life unpleasnt for the homosexual then perhaps, yes, their butt needs to be kicked.
Let's hope at this point they do not escalate the conflict but decide instead to turn the other cheek.
(insert collective groan here)
KCKID wrote:
AdHoc wrote:This shouldn't concern me personally because I have nothing against homosexuals and I do not consider myself a homophobe... Problem is other people probably do because I disagree with homosexuality.
The only ones that I would call homophobes would be those who, as said above, go out of their way to make life unpleasant for the homosexual. That said, I don't think that it's a matter of agreeing with or not agreeing with homosexuality. It's a matter of acknowledging that homosexuals are real people with real needs and leave it at that. I hate rap music with a passion and so I don't listen to it. Likewise, for those who are not tuned into homosexuality, then don't participate in it.
Whoa... Whoa... Whoa... Why you all hatin' on rap music?
It's da bomb KC
Peace out