Can God provide absolute certainty through revelation?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Ionian_Tradition
Sage

Can God provide absolute certainty through revelation?

Post #1

Post by Ionian_Tradition »

It is claimed that our epistemic foundation is contingent upon the presupposition that an all knowing God not only exists, but has conveyed to us, via biblical revelation, truths which can be known with absolute certainty.

Question for debate: Is it possible that a all knowing, all powerful God is capable of revealing to us, through scripture, truths which can be known with absolute certainty?

Morphine
Sage

Re: Can God provide absolute certainty through revelation?

Post #11

Post by Morphine »

[Replying to post 3 by connermt]

Is it, force, if you ask for it and actually want it?

dbohm
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by dbohm »

Ionian_Tradition wrote:
dbohm wrote: Where in the Bible does it mention absolute certainty?
I can not say where exactly this mentioned in the Bible. Perhaps Romans 8:16 or 2 Timothy 3:16 imply this. None the less, it is a claim commonly asserted by the presuppositional apologist Sye Ten Bruggencate, thus prompting the OP.
I am not familiar with Bruggencate so cannot comment on his assertions. The first verse you mention in Romans is referring to someone who already has the spirit and so others would be excluded from this knowledge. Likewise the verse in Timothy is speaking to someone who has already accepted the gospel and doesn't really go beyond saying that the Scriptures are useful and inspired by God.

Where I do agree with presuppositional thought is the proposal that the Christian message is coherent with reality and opposing ideologies fall short of it. It seems to me at any rate that many philosophers (not the polemists such as Dawkins et al) get into great tangles when they try to avoid the likely conclusion that there is a God. I have just finished reading Thomas Nagel's book 'Mind and Cosmos' where he makes a fairly convincing argument against materialist reductionism. Yet despite this and although he realises that theists have an obvious explanation why material reductionism is false, he does not want to grant the existence of God.

Ionian_Tradition
Sage

Post #13

Post by Ionian_Tradition »

dbohm wrote:
Ionian_Tradition wrote:
dbohm wrote: Where in the Bible does it mention absolute certainty?
I can not say where exactly this mentioned in the Bible. Perhaps Romans 8:16 or 2 Timothy 3:16 imply this. None the less, it is a claim commonly asserted by the presuppositional apologist Sye Ten Bruggencate, thus prompting the OP.

Where I do agree with presuppositional thought is the proposal that the Christian message is coherent with reality and opposing ideologies fall short of it. It seems to me at any rate that many philosophers (not the polemists such as Dawkins et al) get into great tangles when they try to avoid the likely conclusion that there is a God. I have just finished reading Thomas Nagel's book 'Mind and Cosmos' where he makes a fairly convincing argument against materialist reductionism. Yet despite this and although he realises that theists have an obvious explanation why material reductionism is false, he does not want to grant the existence of God.
I would question if Christianity's capacity to serve as a coherent depiction of reality is as viable you claim. The problem of non-belief, the argument against immaterial/non-contingent/personal minds, the refutation of creatio ex nihilo, and Christianity's inability to serve as a foundation for human epistemology all cast some doubt on Christianity's coherence, not to mention its validity as a logically defensible worldview. Given that you no doubt disagree, I would be happy to debate you on the issue provided you feel equal to the task.