The sin of pride, and praising God.

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Divine Insight
Savant

The sin of pride, and praising God.

Post #1

Post by Divine Insight »

Christianity holds out that pride is evil and ungodly.

1 John.2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

The pride of life is not of the Father?

But isn't this Father God the one who creates life? Why wouldn't life be of the Father then? :-k

Moreover, a human strives against much difficulty to become whatever they become and to achieve the things they achieve. Why shouldn't they be proud of their achievements after all the work they have toiled to achieve the results?

Moreover, why credit their achievements to God? It obviously wasn't God who did all the work.

In fact, for an omnipotent God it makes no sense to even speak of God doing any work. Why would an omnipotent God need to work at anything?

God says, "Let there be light", and there is light. That doesn't sound like much work to me.

I do realize that the Bible says that God rested after he had created the heavens and the Earth. But isn't that an oxymoron too?

Why would God need to rest? That would imply that God becomes weakened after exerting himself and needs to recuperate. But what source would replenish God's energy? From whence would God draw his new energy?

Does he need to eat too? The whole idea of a tired omnipotent God is an oxymoron.

But back to the question of the thread?

Why is it considered to be a sin to be proud of our earthly accomplishments that we work hard to achieve, yet we're supposed to stand around praising a God who supposedly doesn't need to work hard to accomplish anything.

Why should God be proud of anything? And why would he need to have his ego glorified? What's up with that?
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #171

Post by Goat »

JoeyKnothead wrote: From Post 169:
Sonofason wrote: ...
I mean, after-all, a drunkard shall not inherit the kingdom of heaven.
What drunkard wants to inherit a bar with no liquor?

I just don't get this angle of "Y'all behave now, so's y'all can get to a place where there ain't no fun to be had".

Sure, the harp player's apt to have him a high ol' time, but you can't play the blues with a harp.

In heaven there is no beer.

That's why we drink it here (Right Here!)

When we're gone from here,

all our friends will be drinking all our beer!
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Sonofason
Banned
Banned

Post #172

Post by Sonofason »

I just don't get this angle of "Y'all behave now, so's y'all can get to a place where there ain't no fun to be had".

Sure, the harp player's apt to have him a high ol' time, but you can't play the blues with a harp.
Honestly, I didn't really start having fun and enjoying life until I stopped getting drunk. But hey, some people just love lying in their own vomit, some people don't want to hold down a good job, some people enjoy belligerence and foolishness, some people like to set bad examples for their children, some people don't want to have peace in their families, some people just love tragedy, some people love to be reviled by their spouses, I guess.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #173

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 172:
Sonofason wrote: Honestly, I didn't really start having fun and enjoying life until I stopped getting drunk. But hey, some people just love lying in their own vomit...
It ain't that we like to lay in it, only that we can't show a god's upset if we do.

Can you?
Sonofason wrote: some people don't want to hold down a good job
And them's often folks that don't look down their noses at others.
Sonofason wrote: some people enjoy belligerence and foolishness
Here we go with the folks are fools business.

I swear to God, if I could have a conversation with a Christian that the term "foolishness", or "fool" didn't show up, I'd have no reason to conclude it wasn't them suffering from it.

But we can't, can we? Hell no, 'cause the Christian declares all that which he don't do to be "foolishness", and all those engaged in it to be fools.

The Christian is so enamored with myths of how his beliefs are so special, and how folks who disagree, well they can't be good folks that just happen to disagree, naw, they've gotta be all kinds of evil, and miscreants, and all kinda I don't know.

You are a perfect example of the Christian who is incapable of showing he speaks truth, and so must rely on slander in a vain, arrogant, stupid and moronic* effort to try to save face. *Precedent available on request.

I've thought about that last bit, and I feel it's a bit overboard, but considering that'n didn't get in trouble for it, and how appropriate the statement is for now, I'm gonna leave that in there. I really want to try to turn that leaf where I'm respectful and all, but I contend those who offer no respect oughta not have them any offered back.
Sonofason wrote: some people like to set bad examples for their children...
My son, a Model American, is also a John Levitow Award winner, suffering through his second decade of service to his country, and as I type, he's sitting his fourth point of contact in some god-forsaken desert fighting to ensure we can even have this conversation, you sanctimonious son of a fatherless pig.
Sonofason wrote: ...some people don't want to have peace in their families...
Like those Christians who shun their siblings and offspring if they don't toe the religious party line.
Sonofason wrote: some people just love tragedy...
As you peddle a book full of it.
Sonofason wrote: ...some people love to be reviled by their spouses, I guess
You guess!

'Cause it's dang well apparent to all you can't reason.

Yours is exactly why I so revile Christian belief in particular. You sit on your porcelain throne, implying all who disagree are somehow beneath you, while you pinch you off another Christian.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Clownboat
Savant

Re: The sin of pride, and praising God.

Post #174

Post by Clownboat »

Sonofason wrote:
Clownboat wrote:
sonofason wrote:What you fail to recognize in your analysis is that I experience God.

Please describe this experience. I was a tongue talking, drunk in the holy ghost believer for 2 decades, so I hope I may be able to relate.
So tell me, how did you fool everyone?
I fooled no one. Just like you now, I actually believed it then.
Or is the reason you no longer call yourself a Christian because you were found out to be a fraud?
I was not a fraud. I truly believed. You think I would street evangelize and raise money to go on missions trips if I was a fraud?
I mean, after-all, a drunkard shall not inherit the kingdom of heaven. Who were you trying to impress?
Learn your Bible! Are Moses and Lot in heaven or not?
Lot got so drunk, so the myth goes, that his daughters were able to rape him two nights in a row.
Besides all that, I said "drunk in the Holy Ghost". You should know the difference I would think.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Clownboat
Savant

Post #175

Post by Clownboat »

Sonofason wrote:

Honestly, I didn't really start having fun and enjoying life until I stopped getting drunk. But hey, some people just love lying in their own vomit, some people don't want to hold down a good job, some people enjoy belligerence and foolishness, some people like to set bad examples for their children, some people don't want to have peace in their families, some people just love tragedy, some people love to be reviled by their spouses, I guess.
I'm glad you stopped drinking. From the sounds of it, you were not able to do it responsibly.

Please stop projecting your irresponsibility on to others though. Not everyone has issues balancing their vices with their real life. I am sorry you did though, but you did the right thing (for you) it sounds.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

A Troubled Man
Guru

Re: The sin of pride, and praising God.

Post #176

Post by A Troubled Man »

Sonofason wrote:
Actually, my experiences are not meaningless to anyone with an open mind, and they are not meaningless to those who have had similar experiences of God as I've had, or even to people who've had different experiences of God as I've had. People who have experienced God as I have experienced God actually validate my claim. And my claims are a wonderful confirmation and validation of their claims as well. When you have nothing, you have nothing to validate. Nothing that you've said here can be validated, and that is truly because you have nothing to say, no real input to this conversation at all. You lack everything that has to do with the existence of God. We who believe are not in your shoes. You stand alone with others who, like you, have nothing of God.
No, your claims have not been validated by anyone, quite the contrary. Sorry, but it is you who stands alone embracing arrogant and absurd beliefs.

Sonofason
Banned
Banned

Post #177

Post by Sonofason »

JoeyKnothead wrote: From Post 172:
Sonofason wrote: Honestly, I didn't really start having fun and enjoying life until I stopped getting drunk. But hey, some people just love lying in their own vomit...
It ain't that we like to lay in it, only that we can't show a god's upset if we do.

Can you?
Sonofason wrote: some people don't want to hold down a good job
And them's often folks that don't look down their noses at others.
Sonofason wrote: some people enjoy belligerence and foolishness
Here we go with the folks are fools business.

I swear to God, if I could have a conversation with a Christian that the term "foolishness", or "fool" didn't show up, I'd have no reason to conclude it wasn't them suffering from it.

But we can't, can we? Hell no, 'cause the Christian declares all that which he don't do to be "foolishness", and all those engaged in it to be fools.

The Christian is so enamored with myths of how his beliefs are so special, and how folks who disagree, well they can't be good folks that just happen to disagree, naw, they've gotta be all kinds of evil, and miscreants, and all kinda I don't know.

You are a perfect example of the Christian who is incapable of showing he speaks truth, and so must rely on slander in a vain, arrogant, stupid and moronic* effort to try to save face. *Precedent available on request.

I've thought about that last bit, and I feel it's a bit overboard, but considering that'n didn't get in trouble for it, and how appropriate the statement is for now, I'm gonna leave that in there. I really want to try to turn that leaf where I'm respectful and all, but I contend those who offer no respect oughta not have them any offered back.
Sonofason wrote: some people like to set bad examples for their children...
My son, a Model American, is also a John Levitow Award winner, suffering through his second decade of service to his country, and as I type, he's sitting his fourth point of contact in some god-forsaken desert fighting to ensure we can even have this conversation, you sanctimonious son of a fatherless pig.
Sonofason wrote: ...some people don't want to have peace in their families...
Like those Christians who shun their siblings and offspring if they don't toe the religious party line.
Sonofason wrote: some people just love tragedy...
As you peddle a book full of it.
Sonofason wrote: ...some people love to be reviled by their spouses, I guess
You guess!

'Cause it's dang well apparent to all you can't reason.

Yours is exactly why I so revile Christian belief in particular. You sit on your porcelain throne, implying all who disagree are somehow beneath you, while you pinch you off another Christian.

"Folly is a joy to him who lacks sense, but a man of understanding walks straight ahead." (Proverbs 15:21)

Clearly, very few people actually don't want to hold down a good job. Few people like to set bad examples for their children. Few people don't want to have peace in their families, few people love tragedy, few people love to be reviled by their spouses. So why then do they set bad examples for their children, why do they not bestow peace on their families, why do they invoke tragedy, why do they commit reviling acts? I suggest it is because they lack wisdom. If a person lacks wisdom, then by definition, they must be a fool.

foolish:
1. Lacking or exhibiting a lack of good sense or judgment
2. Resulting from stupidity or misinformation; unwise
3. Arousing laughter; absurd or ridiculous
4. Immoderate or stubborn; unreasonable
5. Embarrassed; abashed
6. Insignificant; trivial

Synonyms: foolish, silly, fatuous, absurd, preposterous, ridiculous, ludicrous
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/foolishness

Clownboat
Savant

Post #178

Post by Clownboat »

sonofason wrote:"Folly is a joy to him who lacks sense, but a man of understanding walks straight ahead." (Proverbs 15:21)

Clearly, very few people actually don't want to hold down a good job. Few people like to set bad examples for their children. Few people don't want to have peace in their families, few people love tragedy, few people love to be reviled by their spouses. So why then do they set bad examples for their children, why do they not bestow peace on their families, why do they invoke tragedy, why do they commit reviling acts? I suggest it is because they lack wisdom. If a person lacks wisdom, then by definition, they must be a fool.

foolish:
5. Embarrassed; abashed

In response to the part in bold:

Ecc 1:18 For in much wisdom is much grief, and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

1st Cor 1:19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.

Are you sure about what you said?
If a person lacks wisdom, then by definition, they must be a fool.

Sonofason
Banned
Banned

Post #179

Post by Sonofason »

[Replying to post 178 by Clownboat]

sonofason wrote:
"Folly is a joy to him who lacks sense, but a man of understanding walks straight ahead." (Proverbs 15:21)

foolish:
5. Embarrassed; abashed

Clownboat wrote:
In response to the part in bold:

Ecc 1:18 For in much wisdom is much grief, and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

1st Cor 1:19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.

Are you sure about what you said?

Yes, I am quite sure. Everything I've said is true. The verses you've taken out of context surely confirm everything I've said.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #180

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 177:
Sonofason wrote: "Folly is a joy to him who lacks sense, but a man of understanding walks straight ahead." (Proverbs 15:21)
Stupid is a joy to him who can only accuse others of "folly".
Sonofason wrote: Clearly, very few people actually don't want to hold down a good job.
Clearly you lack the mental capacity to understand that some folks can't, no matter how hard they try.
Sonofason wrote: Few people like to set bad examples for their children.
You seem to have no problem with it.
Sonofason wrote: Few people don't want to have peace in their families, few people love tragedy, few people love to be reviled by their spouses.
How might folks ever have "peace", when Christians work to ensure they can't?
Sonofason wrote: So why then do they set bad examples for their children, why do they not bestow peace on their families, why do they invoke tragedy, why do they commit reviling acts?
'Cause they struggle with it?

'Cause they can't deal with it all?

'Cause they refuse to accept the lies of those incapable of showing they speak truth?

Again, there you sit, on that fancy porcelain throne, your finger in your nose, profoundly incapable of understanding their plight, 'cept to refuse they have 'em one.
Sonofason wrote: I suggest it is because they lack wisdom.
I suggest your inability to reasonably and rationally consider the plight of others may best indicate it's you who lacks this "wisdom" you're so proud to carry on about.
Sonofason wrote: If a person lacks wisdom, then by definition, they must be a fool.
Or, the idiot can't see the wisdom others present, and, in their stupidity declare all who disagree to be "fools".

Or maybe they's just a Christian so full of themselves, they can't fathom that someone might comfort themselves in a drink..

Not unlike the Christian who comforts himself in his own stupidity.

Sonofason wrote: foolish:
Stupid:

Incapable of understanding that some folks may suffer them a condition that maybe they ain't proud about it for the having it, but they ain't so proud they look down their nose at others.
Sonofason wrote: 2. Resulting from stupidity or misinformation; unwise
Resulting from the stupid belief that since I think it, God does too.
Sonofason wrote: 3. Arousing laughter; absurd or ridiculous
And don't it beat all, the Christian's so upset about "arousal", he'd swear up and down his god ain't proud of ya for it.

All the while being too stupid to understand that declaring to speak for a god ain't showing ya do.
Sonofason wrote: 4. Immoderate or stubborn; unreasonable
Christian.
Sonofason wrote: 5. Embarrassed; abashed
Incapable of being it, simply 'cause one's a Christian.

So proud of oneself that they can't possibly fathom they might be wrong, but only they'd slander anyone who disagrees.
Sonofason wrote: Synonyms: foolish
Synonyms:

Christian
Sonofason wrote: silly
Christian
Sonofason wrote: fatuous
Christian
Sonofason wrote: absurd
Christian
Sonofason wrote: preposterous
Christian
Sonofason wrote: ridiculous
Christian
Sonofason wrote: ludicrous
Sonofason's notions.

My position here is that rational thought is better represented by the understanding that those folks who suffer them a drink ain't just out to destroy their families, or themselves, but that they suffer them a suffering. I propose that it is the epitome of stupidity to declare that which doesn't work for me must not work for another''n, lest they have them some dadgummit about 'em.

Who here is so proud to say they've overcome, and so everyone oughta?

Who here is so proud to say they've gotten past them a drink, and all who can't are some kinda evil?

Who here is so proud to say their own display of stupidity means everyone else oughta not display them some stupidity if they get them a chance?

As one who suffers stupidity on an ongoing and daily basis, I will now contend that it is only the truly and irrevocably stupid who can't understand that some folks struggle in their daily lives, to the point maybe they can't do what we might think they oughta for the folks we think they oughta oughta.

I propose that only the the most "foolish", the most stupid among us would ever try to say that our own experiences should be bound to all the rest of us.

Alas, "I'm Christian, so y'all's a fool" is far easier to say, than it is to think about how others may have them a tough row to hoe.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin