The sin of pride, and praising God.

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Divine Insight
Savant

The sin of pride, and praising God.

Post #1

Post by Divine Insight »

Christianity holds out that pride is evil and ungodly.

1 John.2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

The pride of life is not of the Father?

But isn't this Father God the one who creates life? Why wouldn't life be of the Father then? :-k

Moreover, a human strives against much difficulty to become whatever they become and to achieve the things they achieve. Why shouldn't they be proud of their achievements after all the work they have toiled to achieve the results?

Moreover, why credit their achievements to God? It obviously wasn't God who did all the work.

In fact, for an omnipotent God it makes no sense to even speak of God doing any work. Why would an omnipotent God need to work at anything?

God says, "Let there be light", and there is light. That doesn't sound like much work to me.

I do realize that the Bible says that God rested after he had created the heavens and the Earth. But isn't that an oxymoron too?

Why would God need to rest? That would imply that God becomes weakened after exerting himself and needs to recuperate. But what source would replenish God's energy? From whence would God draw his new energy?

Does he need to eat too? The whole idea of a tired omnipotent God is an oxymoron.

But back to the question of the thread?

Why is it considered to be a sin to be proud of our earthly accomplishments that we work hard to achieve, yet we're supposed to stand around praising a God who supposedly doesn't need to work hard to accomplish anything.

Why should God be proud of anything? And why would he need to have his ego glorified? What's up with that?
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Sonofason
Banned
Banned

Post #181

Post by Sonofason »

JoeyKnothead wrote: From Post 177:
Sonofason wrote: "Folly is a joy to him who lacks sense, but a man of understanding walks straight ahead." (Proverbs 15:21)
Stupid is a joy to him who can only accuse others of "folly".
Sonofason wrote: Clearly, very few people actually don't want to hold down a good job.
Clearly you lack the mental capacity to understand that some folks can't, no matter how hard they try.
Sonofason wrote: Few people like to set bad examples for their children.
You seem to have no problem with it.
Sonofason wrote: Few people don't want to have peace in their families, few people love tragedy, few people love to be reviled by their spouses.
How might folks ever have "peace", when Christians work to ensure they can't?
Sonofason wrote: So why then do they set bad examples for their children, why do they not bestow peace on their families, why do they invoke tragedy, why do they commit reviling acts?
'Cause they struggle with it?

'Cause they can't deal with it all?

'Cause they refuse to accept the lies of those incapable of showing they speak truth?

Again, there you sit, on that fancy porcelain throne, your finger in your nose, profoundly incapable of understanding their plight, 'cept to refuse they have 'em one.
Sonofason wrote: I suggest it is because they lack wisdom.
I suggest your inability to reasonably and rationally consider the plight of others may best indicate it's you who lacks this "wisdom" you're so proud to carry on about.
Sonofason wrote: If a person lacks wisdom, then by definition, they must be a fool.
Or, the idiot can't see the wisdom others present, and, in their stupidity declare all who disagree to be "fools".

Or maybe they's just a Christian so full of themselves, they can't fathom that someone might comfort themselves in a drink..

Not unlike the Christian who comforts himself in his own stupidity.

Sonofason wrote: foolish:
1. Lacking or exhibiting a lack of good sense or judgment
Stupid:

Incapable of understanding that some folks may suffer them a condition that maybe they ain't proud about it for the having it, but they ain't so proud they look down their nose at others.
Sonofason wrote: 2. Resulting from stupidity or misinformation; unwise
Resulting from the stupid belief that since I think it, God does too.
Sonofason wrote: 3. Arousing laughter; absurd or ridiculous
And don't it beat all, the Christian's so upset about "arousal", he'd swear up and down his god ain't proud of ya for it.

All the while being too stupid to understand that declaring to speak for a god ain't showing ya do.
Sonofason wrote: 4. Immoderate or stubborn; unreasonable
Christian.
Sonofason wrote: 5. Embarrassed; abashed
Incapable of being it, simply 'cause one's a Christian.

So proud of oneself that they can't possibly fathom they might be wrong, but only they'd slander anyone who disagrees.
Sonofason wrote: Synonyms: foolish
Synonyms:

Christian
Sonofason wrote: silly
Christian
Sonofason wrote: fatuous
Christian
Sonofason wrote: absurd
Christian
Sonofason wrote: preposterous
Christian
Sonofason wrote: ridiculous
Christian
Sonofason wrote: ludicrous
Sonofason's notions.

My position here is that rational thought is better represented by the understanding that those folks who suffer them a drink ain't just out to destroy their families, or themselves, but that they suffer them a suffering. I propose that it is the epitome of stupidity to declare that which doesn't work for me must not work for another''n, lest they have them some dadgummit about 'em.

Who here is so proud to say they've overcome, and so everyone oughta?

Who here is so proud to say they've gotten past them a drink, and all who can't are some kinda evil?

Who here is so proud to say their own display of stupidity means everyone else oughta not display them some stupidity if they get them a chance?

As one who suffers stupidity on an ongoing and daily basis, I will now contend that it is only the truly and irrevocably stupid who can't understand that some folks struggle in their daily lives, to the point maybe they can't do what we might think they oughta for the folks we think they oughta oughta.

I propose that only the the most "foolish", the most stupid among us would ever try to say that our own experiences should be bound to all the rest of us.

Alas, "I'm Christian, so y'all's a fool" is far easier to say, than it is to think about how others may have them a tough row to hoe.
I'm sorry, I didn't realize that I little truth would cause you to violate the rules of decent human conduct and cause you to become so offensive to me. I will refrain speaking the truth to you, if that will help you be more respectful.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #182

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 181:
Sonofason wrote: I'm sorry, I didn't realize that I little truth would cause you to violate the rules of decent human conduct and cause you to become so offensive to me.
I 'preciate your 'pologizing, in your back-handed way, for the things you 'cuse me of.

That's mighty danged Christian of ya!
Sonofason wrote: I will refrain speaking the truth to you, if that will help you be more respectful.
"I'll cut and run, lest the whole dang world sees me for the accusatory, libellous, man I've become."

I dare say, if you could actually speak truth, you wouldn't hafta stop doing it.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Sonofason
Banned
Banned

Post #183

Post by Sonofason »

JoeyKnothead wrote: From Post 181:
Sonofason wrote: I'm sorry, I didn't realize that I little truth would cause you to violate the rules of decent human conduct and cause you to become so offensive to me.
I 'preciate your 'pologizing, in your back-handed way, for the things you 'cuse me of.

That's mighty danged Christian of ya!

[quote="Sonofason"
I will refrain speaking the truth to you, if that will help you be more respectful.
Utterly embarrassed, Joey Knothead worte:
"I'll cut and run, lest the whole dang world sees me for the accusatory, libellous, man I've become."

I dare say, if you could actually speak truth, you wouldn't hafta stop doing it.
God is perfect. He is all good. He loves us, and desires to spend eternity with us. And if that's gonna happen, you have to want that. You have to want to spend eternity with God, which means you must love Him. If you do not love God, why would you want to spend eternity with Him? You wouldn't. Of what value to God would our love for Him be, if our love for Him were not of our own free will? It would be worthless. And so, out of Love, He's given us free will, that we might love Him of our own free will.

But because we have free will, we are not perfect. If we desire to be one with God, we must be perfect. If God were to allow imperfection in Himself, He would no longer be perfect and good. So even if we were to love God, our imperfections would prevent us from spending eternity with God, and that means eternal separation from God, and that would be horrible. So because all goodness comes from God, if we were completely separated from God's goodness, we would be left with an absence of all goodness, and that would be bad.

But because God so loved the world, He gave His Son to the world, that whosoever might believe in Him would be redeemed. In my opinion, and in my own words I'll put it this way:

We have free will, and God is not about to take that from us. Thus, if we truly wanted to be perfect so that we can spend eternity with God, because we love God, despite our present imperfections, we are going to have to be willing to be changed from beings of imperfection to that of perfection. And that can only occur at the Cross. Place your faith in Jesus Christ as an acknowledgement that you love God and want to be changed into perfection that you might spend eternity with God, and on the Day of Redemption, you will be changed, and you will live eternally with God.

Don't worry, I'll be there too.

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #184

Post by Nickman »

Sonofason wrote:

1. God is perfect.

2. He is all good.

3. He loves us, and desires to spend eternity with us.

4.And if that's gonna happen, you have to want that. You have to want to spend eternity with God, which means you must love Him. If you do not love God, why would you want to spend eternity with Him? You wouldn't. Of what value to God would our love for Him be, if our love for Him were not of our own free will? It would be worthless. And so, out of Love, He's given us free will, that we might love Him of our own free will.

5. Don't worry, I'll be there too.
1. How do you know that?

2. How do you know that?

3. How do you know that?

4. Why would anyone want to spent eternity with the God who inspired the OT? That God is atrocious!

4. How do you know that?

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #185

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 183:

Let's count the claims and see how many can be shown to be truth...
Sonofason wrote: ...
1) God is perfect.
Sonofason wrote: 2) He is all good.
Sonofason wrote: 3) He loves us...
Sonofason wrote: 4) and desires...
Sonofason wrote: 5) to spend eternity with us.
Sonofason wrote: 6) And if that's gonna happen, you have to want that.
Sonofason wrote: 7) You have to want to spend eternity with God...
Sonofason wrote: 8) which means you must love Him.
Sonofason wrote: ...
9) And so, out of Love...
Sonofason wrote: 10) He's given us free will...
Sonofason wrote: 11) ... our imperfections would prevent us from spending eternity with God
Claims folks can spend an "eternity" with this God.
Sonofason wrote: 12) ... all goodness comes from God
Sonofason wrote: 13) ... God so loved the world...
Sonofason wrote: 14) He gave His Son to the world
Sonofason wrote: 15) that whosoever might believe in Him would be redeemed...
>snip all the preaching<
Fifteen. Fifteen claims.

I challenge you to show you speak truth regarding these claims.

1st challenge.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

10CC
Banned
Banned

Post #186

Post by 10CC »

Sonofason wrote: Place your faith in Jesus Christ as an acknowledgement that you love God and want to be changed into perfection that you might spend eternity with God, and on the Day of Redemption, you will be changed, and you will live eternally with God.

Don't worry, I'll be there too.
The sin of pride and praising oneself.
:roll:
I'll tell you everything I've learned...................
and LOVE is all he said

-The Boy With The Moon and Star On His Head-Cat Stevens.

otseng
Savant

Post #187

Post by otseng »

JoeyKnothead wrote: From Post 177:
Sonofason wrote: "Folly is a joy to him who lacks sense, but a man of understanding walks straight ahead." (Proverbs 15:21)
Stupid is a joy to him who can only accuse others of "folly".

Clearly you lack the mental capacity to understand that some folks can't, no matter how hard they try.
:warning: Moderator Warning

OK, I'm issuing both of you a warning. Please cease from the uncivil comments.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #188

Post by Clownboat »

God is perfect. He is all good. He loves us, and desires to spend eternity with us.
I would like to stop you right there.

- So perfect, his creation failed and he had to kill them all off besides eight. Obviously, all the bunnies and koala's had to die too. (Except for a pair or so).

- So good, that he condones rape?
Judges 21:21 When the young women come to dance, seize one to be your wife.
Or so good that if your testicles get crushed, you can't go to heaven?

- He loves us?
Does God hate anyone? The answer is yes.

Psalm 5:5, "The boastful shall not stand before Thine eyes; Thou dost hate all who do iniquity,"
Psalm 11:5, "The Lord tests the righteous and the wicked, and the one who loves violence His soul hates."
Lev. 20:23, "Moreover, you shall not follow the customs of the nation which I shall drive out before you, for they did all these things, and therefore I have abhorred them."
Prov. 6:16-19, "There are six things which the Lord hates, yes, seven which are an abomination to Him: 17 Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, 18 A heart that devises wicked plans, feet that run rapidly to evil, 19 A false witness who utters lies, and one who spreads strife among brothers."
Hosea 9:15, "All their evil is at Gilgal; indeed, I came to hate them there! Because of the wickedness of their deeds I will drive them out of My house! I will love them no more; All their princes are rebels."
http://carm.org/does-god-hate-anyone

You're just going to have to provide some evidence, or at least make a good argument, rather than these obviously inaccurate claims. Can that be done though?
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #189

Post by Divine Insight »

Sonofason wrote: 1. God is perfect.
Good. Then I can be assured that God will provide me with Seventh Heaven when I die because anything less that this would clearly not be perfect.
Sonofason wrote: 2. He is all good.
So am I. So at least we have some things in common. ;)
Sonofason wrote: 3. He loves us, and desires to spend eternity with us.
Well if he's perfect and omnipotent then he should be able to achieve his desires.

So evidently he'll be spending eternity with us then.
Sonofason wrote: 4.And if that's gonna happen, you have to want that. You have to want to spend eternity with God, which means you must love Him. If you do not love God, why would you want to spend eternity with Him? You wouldn't. Of what value to God would our love for Him be, if our love for Him were not of our own free will? It would be worthless. And so, out of Love, He's given us free will, that we might love Him of our own free will.
I do love God. I think She's great! I simply reject that the ancient Hebrew barbarians speak for God. And clearly going by your #1 and #2 above, the Bible can have nothing to do with God because the Bible is neither perfect, nor good.

So based on your #1 and #2 above it makes far more sense to believe that the Moon Goddess of Wicca is God. That's the only thing I can figure if God is supposedly perfect and good. ;)

Clearly the Hebrew Bible is out of the running.
Sonofason wrote: 5. Don't worry, I'll be there too.
If God is perfect then everyone She ever created will be there. ;)

The only way a person could not be there is if they believe in the flawed, imperfect, and evil God portrayed in the Hebrew fables known as the Bible.

I mean, just look at what they claim their God did. He supposedly drowned out the bulk of humanity in a great flood at one time. That's neither perfect, nor good. Nor is it the act of a God who desires to spend eternity with the objects of his creation.

So clearly if you believe your own #1 and #2 the Hebrew mythology is out.

You'll have to move up to something that actually resembles "good" and therefore has at least some chance of potentially being perfect.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Sonofason
Banned
Banned

Post #190

Post by Sonofason »

Nickman wrote:
Sonofason wrote:

1. God is perfect.

2. He is all good.

3. He loves us, and desires to spend eternity with us.

4.And if that's gonna happen, you have to want that. You have to want to spend eternity with God, which means you must love Him. If you do not love God, why would you want to spend eternity with Him? You wouldn't. Of what value to God would our love for Him be, if our love for Him were not of our own free will? It would be worthless. And so, out of Love, He's given us free will, that we might love Him of our own free will.

5. Don't worry, I'll be there too.
1. How do you know that?

2. How do you know that?

3. How do you know that?

4. Why would anyone want to spent eternity with the God who inspired the OT? That God is atrocious!

4. How do you know that?

1. It doesn't matter how I know it.
2. It doesn't matter how I know it.
3. It doesn't matter how I know it.
4. It doesn't matter to me why anyone would want to spend eternity with God. It doesn't matter to me that God inspired the Old Testament. It doesn't matter to me that you think God is atrocious.
4. It doesn't matter how I know it.