Why so many non-Christians on a Christian site?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Donray
Guru

Why so many non-Christians on a Christian site?

Post #1

Post by Donray »

Since Christians want to think that at the most there are 15% non-religious (atheists and agnostics). Why does this site have about 15% Christians?

Could it be that Christians cannot defend their religion?

Christians don't want to discuss the so called objectives morals provided in the Bible by God.

They cannot provide almost no information about haven.

Etc. etc. etc.

Darias
Guru

Re: Why so many non-Christians on a Christian site?

Post #2

Post by Darias »

It may be because this is one of the only Christian sites that tolerates opinions that aren't Christian. The number of Christians on this site might also be smaller because Christians, like everyone else, like to surround themselves with like-minded people. There are a lot of Christians who flock to other Christian forums which don't let other people express ideas. That may be why more non believers are here, even though they are a minority offline.

connermt
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by connermt »

Donray wrote: Since Christians want to think that at the most there are 15% non-religious (atheists and agnostics). Why does this site have about 15% Christians?

Could it be that Christians cannot defend their religion?

Christians don't want to discuss the so called objectives morals provided in the Bible by God.

They cannot provide almost no information about haven.

Etc. etc. etc.
I like to think (perhaps foolishly) that we can all learn from one another, believer or not.
In addition, it's fun to watch christians argue among themselves about the same religion they follow. ;) :eyebrow:
To me, that says more about christianity than most anything.

fatherlearningtolove
Apprentice

Post #4

Post by fatherlearningtolove »

Donray wrote: Could it be that Christians cannot defend their religion?
DING DING DING! Bingo. At least with the majority of Christians in America, they've not been trained to question. Rather, they've been trained NOT to think. It drives me nuts. I try so hard to get some of my Christian friends to question and to think, and I just end up being called a heretic. I find myself enjoying the company of atheists and agnostics and people of other faiths more than the company of most Christians these days. It's really sad.

In another forum I'm on, I saw this atheist come in and post a picture. It was a famous painting of Jesus knocking on a door. The caption said "Behold, I stand at the door and knock. Let me in so I can save you from what I'm going to do to you if you don't let me in." I was like "this is awesome, because I've been trying to get these guys to engage with me on the topic of hell (a topic I've actually put quite a bit of study into) for a while." But all that happened is a bunch of people acted offended that he was "mocking" their so-called-god, and when he said "well, tell me what's wrong with this view or defend it", and then they deleted the whole thread. So then, he starts a new thread by saying "apologist: someone who can't defend his views and runs away scared when you threaten them", and all these people are going "ADMINS! Throw him out! He's mocking us!" And I jumped in saying "he has every right to mock you! He tried to start a conversation on a topic that had just a bit of controversy involved, and instead of defending your views reasonably, you deleted his thread! I'd be pissed too!" Of course, then they're jumping on MY case, and eventually THAT thread got deleted too, as well as the guy who started the whole thing. But I keep trying to be a spoke in the wheel as much as I can, in the same sense that Dietrich Bonhoeffer spoke of.
"The tree is known by its fruits. If you want to understand the social and political history of modern man, study hell."
- Thomas Merton, "New Seeds of Contemplation"

My blog

fatherlearningtolove
Apprentice

Post #5

connermt wrote: I like to think (perhaps foolishly) that we can all learn from one another, believer or not.
So refreshing. Bless you.

I try to live by this. But often, the only lesson it seems I can learn from people is patience.
"The tree is known by its fruits. If you want to understand the social and political history of modern man, study hell."

My blog

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by ttruscott »

connermt wrote:

In addition, it's fun to watch christians argue among themselves about the same religion they follow. ;) :eyebrow:
To me, that says more about christianity than most anything.
I understand completely. I enjoy it too. But just as much I enjoy the quaint form of combat of so called debate between scientists on just about any topic but 'climate change' and' man caused global warming " comes quickly to mind and the big bang explanation and genetics and evolution and, and...oh well you know them better than I do...

And they don't even have a Satan messing things up for them and causing trouble in the ranks like the Church does. The scientists can't agree wall on their own without a war going on around them and getting in the way.

Peace, Ted

How could I forget Monsanto political science and GMO? sigh
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

WinePusher

Post #7

Post by WinePusher »

Donray wrote:Why does this site have about 15% Christians?

I'm not sure. But I like it though. One thing I've noticed is that the atheists, secularists and liberals on this site cannot debate in a thread without requiring backup and support from their 'friends.' :lol:
Donray wrote:Could it be that Christians cannot defend their religion?
No. The same is true for youtube as well, most comments made are by atheists and nonbelivers. It's probably because Christians have lives. Most Christian people I know have jobs, families, hobbies and are interested in things like sports, music, movies, etc. Unless you've had background exposure with apologetics you're not likely to be searching the internet for apologetics forums or apologetics videos on youtube.

But, if you want to suggest something facetious like 'It's cause Christians can't defend their religion' I'll counter it by suggesting that it's cause atheists/nonbelivers do not lead productive lives in the real world, which is why they have so much free time to spend on the internet.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #8

Post by Divine Insight »

fatherlearningtolove wrote: In another forum I'm on, I saw this atheist come in and post a picture. It was a famous painting of Jesus knocking on a door. The caption said "Behold, I stand at the door and knock. Let me in so I can save you from what I'm going to do to you if you don't let me in." I was like "this is awesome, because I've been trying to get these guys to engage with me on the topic of hell (a topic I've actually put quite a bit of study into) for a while."
The only problem is that the picture this atheist posted really can't be defended in mainstream Christiandom.

You may feel that you can offer a defense for it because you're willing to argue there is no hell? Is that your position?

But that's a very hard position to take in light of scriptures:

Mat. 25:46 These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.

There it is right there according to Jesus himself. "These will go away into eternal punishment".

And so if you're going to argue against Matthew 25:46 you're opening up a whole can of worms. Because now we need to go back and start deciding what to toss out and allow in, and so forth.

The vast majority of Christiandom (including the Catholic Church), totally supports this idea of eternal punishment as being a valid part of scriptures.

You go messing with this, and what else can we toss out?

So most Christians don't want to deny words that have been attributed to JESUS.

That just get's way too messy for them. And since they can't defend an eternal punishment they end up just refusing to address the issue altogether, as you have shown.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

fatherlearningtolove
Apprentice

Post #9

[Replying to post 8 by Divine Insight]

That's a mistranslation. I go into much detail on why I believe it is in this post on my blog series "Checkmate For Hell".

My blog

connermt
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by connermt »

[Replying to post 6 by ttruscott]

Unfortunately, science and a supreme deity can't be compared one-on-one honestly.