Rule Clarification: Mockery, Ridicule, and Scorn

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

iamtaka

Rule Clarification: Mockery, Ridicule, and Scorn

Post #1

Post by iamtaka »

The ideas of mockery, ridicule, and scorn were raised in another thread. They were taken as being part and parcel of the experience on the forum. I suspect, given the call for civility on the forums, that these are not consider acceptable and would be a violation of the rules.

To me, being civil suggests one should purposefully avoid offending others in the course of discussion as much as possible. This means one should refrain from personal attacks, clearly stated in the rules, but should also refrain from mocking, ridiculing, or scorning the beliefs that others hold dear. Further, I do not see these behaviors as being a valid form of argument. Rather, I see them as emotional responses. Thus, I think they should be avoid altogether. However, I wanted to know what the power that be have to say on this matter.

Are mockery, ridicule, and scorn acceptable here? Thanks.

otseng
Savant

Post #2

Post by otseng »

Right now, the general idea is that one is free to attack ideas, but one cannot attack a person. So, mockery, ridicule, and scorn directed at a person is not allowed. Mocking and ridiculing ideas is given more latitude and is up to the discretion of a particular moderator.

iamtaka

Post #3

Post by iamtaka »

Thank you for the clarification.