Quantum Consciousness

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

pixelero
Apprentice

Quantum Consciousness

Post #1

Post by pixelero »

At a recent conference, "Brakke Grond" in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, January 16-18, 2014, there was a Brainstorm Session on "Microtubules and the Big Consciousness Debate". It seems there have been some new research results that apparently confirm a controversial theory of consciousness published by Sir Roger Penrose and Stuart Hameroff in Physics of Life Reviews some 20 years ago.

A report at elsevier.com says:
The recent discovery of warm temperature quantum vibrations in microtubules inside brain neurons by the research group led by Anirban Bandyopadhyay, PhD, at the National Institute of Material Sciences in Tsukuba, Japan (and now at MIT), corroborates [Penrose and Hameroff's] theory and suggests that EEG rhythms also derive from deeper level microtubule vibrations
"The origin of consciousness reflects our place in the universe, the nature of our existence. Did consciousness evolve from complex computations among brain neurons, as most scientists assert? Or has consciousness, in some sense, been here all along, as spiritual approaches maintain?" ask Hameroff and Penrose in the current review. "This opens a potential Pandora's Box, but our theory accommodates both these views, suggesting consciousness derives from quantum vibrations in microtubules, protein polymers inside brain neurons, which both govern neuronal and synaptic function, and connect brain processes to self-organizing processes in the fine scale, 'proto-conscious' quantum structure of reality."
The topic I'd like to suggest for debate is: Do these new findings support the mystical view that non-living matter/energy can be conscious?

I suspect that consciousness will continue to be recognized only in biological organisms, despite the apparent quantum effects in the brain. These effects, as far as I can tell, have only been observed by brains, not crystals or trees... so far.

JohnPaul
Banned
Banned

Re: Quantum Consciousness

Post #41

Post by JohnPaul »

Divine Insight wrote:
JohnPaul wrote: [Replying to post 38 by Divine Insight]

Divine Insight wrote:
That's a totally meaningless, and even naive statement
Obviously we should substtute for your word "consciousness" another word such as "Ixxelbriggle" and then define it as "a slithy tove that gyres and gimbels in the wabe." Then we could continue this discussion with greater clarity and meaning.
You guys are being dishonest with yourselves.

Consciousness is a subjective experience.

Unless you can prove conclusively that solipsism is not possible you are only fooling yourself.

And good luck with that. No one has been able to prove conclusively that solipsism cannot be the truth of their reality.

You guys are the ones who require semantic games to support an idea of "consciousness" as being something OTHER than subjective experience.

It is the agenda of an objective-oriented science to move the goal-post of consciousness into becoming something objective so they can claim that their objective-oriented philosophy can be made to work. :roll:
Making it "work" is the part you left out of your enormous quantum-foam god of consciousness. If you want to believe in a God, that is OK, but don't try to pass it off as a "Working Model" and then criticize us for not seeing the true light you have revealed unto us.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #42

Post by Divine Insight »

JohnPaul wrote: and then criticize us for not seeing the true light you have revealed unto us.
Where did I ever criticize anyone for not "seeing the true light that I have revealed unto them"

Where do you come up with these absurd fantasies?

I merely pointed out that between the two hypotheses (pure materialism versus mysticism) mysticism offers a working model where pure materialism doesn't.

That is a fact. Like it or not.

That doesn't mean that mysticism is true. Something else could be true, like maybe theistic philosophies that some sort of external spiritual souls exist.

In fact that too is a "working model", but that doesn't mean it's true.

A model that postulates that the stuff the universe is not capable of having an experience or being aware of anything, and also claims that there is no such thing as an external soul, or something else that exists to have an experience or be aware, is NOT a working model.

It's that simple.

Actually, the REAL TRUTH, if you are interested in truth, is that if the materialistic view of reality is true, then it is material that is having an experience and being aware.

But duh? That reduces to mysticism because that's all that mysticism is actually saying. It's saying, "Yep the material substance of the universe is indeed what is having the experience of awareness"

In other words, the purely secular materialistic view of reality is really nothing other than the mystical view where the people who have constructed the model don't seem to realize that the thing that is having the experience of awareness necessarily has to be the only thing that exists (i.e. the material world).

The purely secular materialists are actually doing nothing more than refusing to accept a premise which simply must be true for their model to even work.

But unfortunately they don't seem to be clever enough to realize that this is has to be the case.

In fact, you could actually say that mystics are nothing more than clever materialists. ;)

We simply realize that if material is all that exists then it must be material that is having the experience of awareness.

I always say that this seems pretty straight-forward to me. It seems to me that once you truly understand this you can instantly see that it can be no other way (unless you want to appeal to the hypothesis of the existence of external souls as in theology).
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

JohnPaul
Banned
Banned

Post #43

Post by JohnPaul »

[Replying to post 42 by Divine Insight]

Divine Insight wrote:
I always say that this seems pretty straight-forward to me. It seems to me that once you truly understand this you can instantly see that it can be no other way (unless you want to appeal to the hypothesis of the existence of external souls as in theology).
OK, so all we need to do is have a religious experience and be born again to truly understand and instantly see that yours is the one true faith.

Hmmm. I could swear I've heard that line somewhere before.

pixelero
Apprentice

Post #44

Post by pixelero »

[Replying to post 38 by Divine Insight]
Conscious awareness is necessary for sentience (i.e. self-awareness).

But sentience is not necessary for consciousness. And like I say, for all we know plants may even be conscious on a non-sentient level.
(1.)When you say "sentience is not necessary for consciousness", what exactly do you mean by "consciousness"?

(2.)We seem to have a hierarchy here; "Conscious awareness is necessary for sentience," yet "sentience is not necessary for consciousness." Could you explain the details of this hierarchical structure of consciousness?

pixelero
Apprentice

Post #45

Post by pixelero »

[Replying to post 38 by Divine Insight]
I'm saying "We are conscious; we are part of the universe and insofar as we know we there is no part of us that is anything MORE than a part of this universe; therefore the substance of the universe, which has become manifest as us must necessarily be conscious,"
I'm saying "We burp and sneeze; we are part of the universe and insofar as we know we there is no part of us that is anything MORE than a part of this universe; therefore the substance of the universe, which has become manifest as us must necessarily burp and sneeze."

Do you suggest that quarks and leptons burp and sneeze? If not, why not? Is so, how so?

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #46

Post by Divine Insight »

pixelero wrote: [Replying to post 38 by Divine Insight]
Conscious awareness is necessary for sentience (i.e. self-awareness).

But sentience is not necessary for consciousness. And like I say, for all we know plants may even be conscious on a non-sentient level.
(1.)When you say "sentience is not necessary for consciousness", what exactly do you mean by "consciousness"?

(2.)We seem to have a hierarchy here; "Conscious awareness is necessary for sentience," yet "sentience is not necessary for consciousness." Could you explain the details of this hierarchical structure of consciousness?

Ok, I agree there is some need for clarification on how I am using these terms.

To begin with I personally suggest that the term "consciousness" is itself ill-defined.

Here is a definition of consciousness I got from Google:

Consciousness - the state of being awake and aware of one's surroundings.

I embrace this definition and point out that to be "aware" is absolutely paramount to being conscious then.

Thus it's fair to say that "awareness = consciousness". In other word, since being aware is required by definition for consciousnesses, then being aware is certainly a required attribute of consciousness.

When we say that someone has "lost consciousness" what we mean to convey is that they appear to be unaware of what is happening.

From the outside, objectively they may or may not be unaware. We have no way of telling. Someone may appear to have passed out and become unconscious so we pick their body up and carry it to a save place. But then when they recover they tell us that they were actually aware the whole time. They knew they were being picked up and carried and they remember the experience but for whatever reason they had lost control over their body and had become a limp mass.

In that case we say, "Ok, there was never really a time when they were unconscious" because they were aware of what was going on all the time even though objectively they appeared to have been unconscious.

So do we even new two words for this? Isn't consciousness and awareness really the same thing?

I say that it is, so I say that consciousness = awareness, and vice versa. It's just two different words that basically mean the same thing.

And I have also established that just because someone appears to be unconscious from an external objective point of view doesn't necessarily mean that they are actually unconscious from their own subjective point of view.

In other words, awareness is a subjective experience and cannot be defined objectively. But as soon as we move over to the term "consciousness" we are suddenly tricked into thinking that maybe we can make objective statements about when someone is conscious or not.

So I actually prefer to use the term "awareness" to preserve the subjective reality of it.

Now let's move on to the term sentience.

I personally use this term to mean "self-awareness" as apposed to just being aware in general. In fact others have used this term in this way as well. We often ask are animals "sentient" like humans? Or are humans unique in their sense of self-awareness.

There have been many debated over just how "sentient" chimpanzees might actually be. Are they truly self-aware like humans are? Or are they merely just aware of their surroundings?

Many arguments have been make that Chimpanzees do indeed have a high degree of sentience or sense of self.

In fact, we can ask these same questions of other animals like dogs, cat, or mice, etc. There are currently debates over whether or not mice are "sentient" or have a sense of self-awareness.

This even become more complex when we move into something like the study of bees, for example. Are bees sentient? Does each bee have a sense of self-awareness? Does a swarm of bees have some sort of collective sentience or self-awareness of their entire community? Perhaps there are levels of "sentience" that are alien to our way of thinking.

And finally when we start getting down the biological latter further we can ask, does a worm have sentience (i.e. an awareness of self), how about an amoeba?

What about a plant?

Moreover, if "sentience" has dropped off on the way down this latter of awareness has non-sentient awareness remained?

In other words, a worm may not have a sense of self, but is it having an experience at all? Is there any awareness at all going on in a worm? Is a worm aware of it's surroundings? Not on an intellectual level of labeling things and understanding them conceptually, but simply on a level of awareness. If you pick a worm up out of the cool grass and toss it onto a hot sidewalk is the worm having an awareness that its environment has changed dramatically.

Is so, then the worm has awareness (which is the definition of consciousness) even though it may not have sentience (a conceptual intellectual idea of self).

So in other words, awareness (or consciousness) is required for sentience.

You need to at least be aware of your surroundings before you can even begin to have an intellectual conceptualization of self (which is sentience).

On the other hand, you don't need sentience (an intellectual conceptualization of self) to be aware of your environment (i.e. to be conscious) Because remember consciousness is nothing more than the ability to be aware of your environment.

So you don't need sentience to be conscious. But you do need consciousness before you can become sentient.

And this also then brings the question to the plant kingdom. Are plants "conscious"? It's a pretty fair guess that they aren't sentient. They most likely do not have an intellectual construction of an idea of self. But are they aware of their environment? If they are aware, then they are conscious, even though they may not be the slightest bit sentient.
[center]Image
[/center]

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #47

Post by Divine Insight »

I'm saying "We are conscious; we are part of the universe and insofar as we know we there is no part of us that is anything MORE than a part of this universe; therefore the substance of the universe, which has become manifest as us must necessarily be conscious,"
I'm saying "We burp and sneeze; we are part of the universe and insofar as we know we there is no part of us that is anything MORE than a part of this universe; therefore the substance of the universe, which has become manifest as us must necessarily burp and sneeze."

Do you suggest that quarks and leptons burp and sneeze? If not, why not? Is so, how so?
Your approach here is entirely based upon a reductionist view.

To being with if any part of the universe burps and sneezes then yes the universe is burping and sneezing.

But then you take it to the reductionist level by asking if quarks and leptons burp and sneeze.

My answer to that question is yes. But obviously not individually.

Quarks and leptons burp and sneeze collectively as large complex arrangements called guts and noses.

There is nothing about a burp or a sneeze that cannot be reduced and explained by the laws of physics that govern the behavior of quarks and leptons.

In fact, if you would like to suggest that such laws of physics do exist, I would every much be interested in knowing what they are.

Insofar as I am aware physicists have proclaimed that there are only four natural forces in nature. Gravity, electromagnetism, the strong nuclear force, and the weak force.

All burps and sneezes can be totally described by these four forces. At least this better be possible because if any new forces are required to describe a burp or a sneeze then physics is in big trouble.

So burps and sneezes are just quarks and leptons doing what quarks and leptons naturally do by the laws of physics as we know them.

So there is no problem with burps and sneezes.

Where there might be a problem is in the question of just what it is that is actually having the experience (or being aware) that it has just burped or sneezed?

If it's not the quarks, leptons, or the four forces of nature that is having this experience, then just what it is that has this experience? :-k

What is it that knows that it has burped or sneezed?

There must be something more to this materialistic picture of reality that hasn't yet been recognized.
[center]Image
[/center]

JohnPaul
Banned
Banned

Post #48

Post by JohnPaul »

[Replying to post 46 by Divine Insight]

Divine Insight wrote:
And this also then brings the question to the plant kingdom. Are plants "conscious"? It's a pretty fair guess that they aren't sentient. They most likely do not have an intellectual construction of an idea of self. But are they aware of their environment? If they are aware, then they are conscious, even though they may not be the slightest bit sentient.
I believe your clarification has moved your definitions completely off the playing field and out into the wilderness of absurdity. I have an apple tree in my yard which is obviously climbing over the fence to reach the sunlight on the other side. Is this what you mean by conscious awareness? If so, then I would agree that an oxygen atom is "aware" of nearby hydrogen atoms to form a molecule of water. By your definitions, shouldn't we call this a sexual union driven by sexual desire, and not simply a chemical bond driven by electrical forces?

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #49

Post by Divine Insight »

JohnPaul wrote: [Replying to post 46 by Divine Insight]

Divine Insight wrote:
I believe your clarification has moved your definitions completely off the playing field and out into the wilderness of absurdity. I have an apple tree in my yard which is obviously climbing over the fence to reach the sunlight on the other side. Is this what you mean by conscious awareness? If so, then I would agree that an oxygen atom is "aware" of nearby hydrogen atoms to form a molecule of water. By your definitions, shouldn't we call this a sexual union driven by sexual desire, and not simply a chemical bond driven by electrical forces?
Where do you draw the line then JohnPaul?

At sentience? At self-awareness? Is this where "True Consciousness" begins?

And if so, then where do you draw the line in the animal kingdom?

At what point does a "nervous system" qualify as a "brain".

Are earth worms having an experience?

I think you are mistakenly demanding that if there exist "conscious awareness" that must mean that this awareness must have goals, and intents that it is purposefully and knowingly trying to achieve.

But is that a valid definition of consciousness? Or is this just an arbitrary criteria that you a have drawn in the sand?

And even if we allow that definition, the question still comes up, "Just what is it that has knowledge of its own goals?

Like you say, you have an apple tree that is trying to reach toward the sunlight.

Does the apple tree know that it's trying to reach the sunlight with purpose and intent? Probably not. So you automatically conclude that it has no "Consciousness" because you have defined consciousness as only that which has purposeful and knowing intent.

And for me this is an important point to realize. You are creating your own definitions and criteria. You are creating your own artificial reductionism. But does nature agree with your definitions?

Also, even if we go by your definition my question still remains. What is it that has this knowledge of what it's doing?

If not the material thing that it is, then what?

What is it that is aware of what it's doing?

You can't just say, "Well duh! It's the brain!"

Because what is the brain? The brain itself is nothing other than quarks, leptons, and the four forces of nature doing their thing.

So if you tell me that the brain is what is having this experience of awareness then we are right back to square one again. It is the substance of the universe that is having this experience.

And so once again my point has been made.
[center]Image
[/center]

scourge99
Guru

Post #50

Post by scourge99 »

I've debated DI about this before. He engages in obscurantism. Its all word games and rhetoric. If you are willing to plod through the nonsense there isn't much left.

For example, he'll say that the "universe is conscious". But when you press him on the matter it turns out that all he really means is that the universe contains beings that are conscious; something we all agree on.

Furthermore, I've taken the time to painstakingly point out the concepts of emergence and abstraction. For example, a "chair" is an abstraction of atoms; I.E., chairs are a label we apply to a certain configuration of atoms. Yet chairs are real and not just a concept. Chairs also have a property known as "legs" and chairs can be sat upon. But atoms don't have legs and cannot be sat upon. So how is it that chairs, which are just made of atoms can have legs and be sat upon? The answer to this is similar to the answer to DI's question about "how does matter have an experience". He is confused and discussing two different aspects of reality at two different levels. He doesn't understand emergence and abstractions.

As for the OP, quantum consciousness is a failed hypothesis only supported by the irrational stubbornness of some fringe scientists. The majority of the scientific community (that study the brain/consciousness) have concluded the consciousness is a manifestation of a working brain. Multiple lines of converging evidence strongly support this conclusion. The problem is that the brain is extremely complex. There are over 100 billion neurons. That's more neurons than the number of transistors in the most highly advanced CPU in the commercial market. Understanding the architecture of the brain is a difficult and time consuming process, especially because, unlike a CPU, we don't have any blue prints or instructions to explain exactly what everything in the brain does and how exactly it does it. Furthermore, its unethical to perform human testing in most cases. Nonetheless our understanding is progressing fairly rapidly.

First, religious believers rejected the science that showed the earth was not the center of the universe. Next they rejected the science that showed humans evolved from other animals and share a common ancestor with all living organisms. And now they reject the science that shows the mind is nothing but the manifestation of a working brain.
Religion remains the only mode of discourse that encourages grown men and women to pretend to know things they manifestly do not know.