Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Ooberman
Banned
Banned

How did God get his moral values?

Post #1

Post by Ooberman »

How does a theist claim that God is the pinnacle of morality, when God had no control over his moral values?
Thinking about God's opinions and thinking about your own opinions uses an identical thought process. - Tomas Rees

dianaiad
Site Supporter

Re: How did God get his moral values?

Post #11

Post by dianaiad »

Ooberman wrote: How does a theist claim that God is the pinnacle of morality, when God had no control over his moral values?
Begging the question a bit there, don't you think?

Ooberman
Banned
Banned

Post #12

Post by Ooberman »

dianaiad wrote:
Ooberman wrote: How does a theist claim that God is the pinnacle of morality, when God had no control over his moral values?
One liner... ( :-) )

It's not, though. If God ALWAYS existed, then he existed "AS IS".

How did he become "AS IS"? What Law or rule can you think of that makes it absolute that God MUST be Good?

People say "God is Good" but we can't say that.

All we could say is "God is God". There is nothing we can do to test whether God is good or not.

Unless you are going to claim to read his Mind?
Thinking about God's opinions and thinking about your own opinions uses an identical thought process. - Tomas Rees

dianaiad
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by dianaiad »

Ooberman wrote:
dianaiad wrote:
One liner... ( :-) )
...and if your OP were more than a one-liner, it would be a worry.

However, it was actually an entire post/argument condensed down into one succinct question. :blink:

Speaking of begging the question:

Ooberman wrote:It's not, though. If God ALWAYS existed, then he existed "AS IS".
Begging the question as to whether God has always existed in His present form...or whether He has actually always existed. You have lots of unstated assumptions there, which might not apply. Not to mention the problem of the question originally being begged, which was something along the lines of God not having any control over His moral values.
Ooberman wrote:How did he become "AS IS"? What Law or rule can you think of that makes it absolute that God MUST be Good?
define 'good.' I have found that most people, when they define that word in terms of what they think God should be, tend to add a prepositional phrase: God is good for me.

The problem is, what is good for the universe may not be good 'for you,' specifically and individually, especially if what you think is good for you causes problems for others, as an example.

Ooberman wrote:People say "God is Good" but we can't say that.

All we could say is "God is God". There is nothing we can do to test whether God is good or not.

Hey. I'm the one who says you can't: and talk about being 'damned if you do, damned if you don't..." I get one atheist claiming that God cannot exist because if He did, He would assuredly make it possible for us to 'know' Him (read His mind, essentially), and now I get you, telling me that we can't.

One could get pretty dizzy with this sort of thing.

Ooberman
Banned
Banned

Post #14

Post by Ooberman »

dianaiad wrote:
Begging the question as to whether God has always existed in His present form...or whether He has actually always existed. You have lots of unstated assumptions there, which might not apply. Not to mention the problem of the question originally being begged, which was something along the lines of God not having any control over His moral values.
If God changed, then the question still remains - how did God get the characteristics to change from a less moral Being to a Perfectly Moral Being?

The question still remains. It's intractable.

God had no control over how he was to process his thoughts, or operate. Why, out of all the options, would God just happen to a Being who can become perfect - or simply existed, for eternity, perfectly?

It doesn't matter which assumption we take. I took the common one that God doesn't change.

For example, what if you were suddenly defined by somebody as the paradigm of musical taste?

Why? Because of your qualities. How did you get those Qualities?
Ooberman wrote:How did he become "AS IS"? What Law or rule can you think of that makes it absolute that God MUST be Good?
define 'good.' I have found that most people, when they define that word in terms of what they think God should be, tend to add a prepositional phrase: God is good for me.
This is a red herring.
[/quotThe problem is, what is good for the universe may not be good 'for you,' specifically and individually, especially if what you think is good for you causes problems for others, as an example.e]
It's not a problem for me. You seem to be regurgitating a response for another question.

If YOU call God Good, how is it that God is Good/ Because you call him Good?

Forget Goodness. ANY Quality.

Ooberman wrote:People say "God is Good" but we can't say that.

Hey. I'm the one who says you can't: and talk about being 'damned if you do, damned if you don't..." I get one atheist claiming that God cannot exist because if He did, He would assuredly make it possible for us to 'know' Him (read His mind, essentially), and now I get you, telling me that we can't.

One could get pretty dizzy with this sort of thing.
Come on, Di. This is off topic.