Marriage Reform

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Marriage Reform

Post #1

Post by DanieltheDragon »

I think the christian right is not going far enough on marriage reform according to scripture

Matthew 19:9

9 I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.�

So those who divorce except for adultery should not be allowed to legally remarry.
After all with marriage equality we don't want to legalize gay marriage because we don't want the state condoning people living in sin so therefore we shall not condone hetero sin living as well. After anyone who remarries if their spouse did not cheat on them they are living in sin and further more anyone who remarries and they were the cheater are also living in permanent sin.

so for marriage equality this should be the case

JohnPaul
Banned
Banned

Re: Marriage Reform

Post #101

Post by JohnPaul »

DanieltheDragon wrote: [Replying to post 93 by JohnPaul]

How do we go from talking about homosexual marriage to stoning everyone?

I merely stated in my OP that if anyone commits a sexually immoral act while they are married and thereafter get divorced should be barred from ever being remarried. On the same grounds that people reject same-sex marriage.

Why are we talking about stoning everyone in that context?
You are not thinking correctly here. Adultery is a sexually immoral act and the Bible very clearly prescribes death as the penalty for it, either by stoning to death or burning. I chose stoning as the simpler alternative, but you are free to choose burning if you prefer.

Jesus very clearly defines looking at a woman lustfully as adultery. McCulloch's dismissal of Jesus' words as mere hyperbole is a weasily evasion of the clear Biblical truth. We are also commanded to kill our neighbors for a wide variety of other sins such as mowing your lawn on Sunday, and of course sticking your penis where it doesn't belong, such as in a man, a sheep, or your mother.

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #102

[Replying to post 101 by JohnPaul]

That is another topic for debate I am merely stating that for those individuals who would deny equivalence under the law based off of religious reasons should also have their marriage laws such as divorce and remarriage revoked. based off of the same principles.

If you want to talk about punishments for adultery and sexual immoral acts go for it but all you are doing here is going off topic.

JohnPaul
Banned
Banned

Post #103

Post by JohnPaul »

DanieltheDragon wrote: [Replying to post 101 by JohnPaul]

That is another topic for debate I am merely stating that for those individuals who would deny equivalence under the law based off of religious reasons should also have their marriage laws such as divorce and remarriage revoked. based off of the same principles.

If you want to talk about punishments for adultery and sexual immoral acts go for it but all you are doing here is going off topic.
Sheesh! I was joking, but certainly related to the topic. Apparently Christians and Englishmen are not the only people who have no sense of humor.

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #104

[Replying to post 103 by JohnPaul]

If no one is laughing the joke wasn't funny. I enjoy being as cavalier as anyone but if your going to joke maybe you should stick with knock knock's. If you have nothing else to add lets go to an off-topic thread and joke around a bit.

JohnPaul
Banned
Banned

Post #105

Post by JohnPaul »

DanieltheDragon wrote: [Replying to post 103 by JohnPaul]

If no one is laughing the joke wasn't funny. I enjoy being as cavalier as anyone but if your going to joke maybe you should stick with knock knock's. If you have nothing else to add lets go to an off-topic thread and joke around a bit.
My joke was about sexual immorality and was very clearly and directly on-topic here. It was not meant to be funny. It was meant to be sharp and revealing, and apparently it succeeded. But perhaps you are English? That really is another topic.

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #106

[Replying to post 105 by JohnPaul]

A joke that was not meant to be funny. Now that is funny lol. You win you derailed the topic now we are just letting you ramble on about not funny jokes. If sexual morality is related show a connection that would be more interesting than your personal diatribes about jokes and your apparent dislike of Englishman.

JohnPaul
Banned
Banned

Post #107

Post by JohnPaul »

DanieltheDragon wrote: [Replying to post 105 by JohnPaul]

A joke that was not meant to be funny. Now that is funny lol. You win you derailed the topic now we are just letting you ramble on about not funny jokes. If sexual morality is related show a connection that would be more interesting than your personal diatribes about jokes and your apparent dislike of Englishman.
I don't personally dislike Englishmen, but my mother was of Irish descent. I won't give you another joke, but maybe a little song?

Oh Erin, must we leave you
Driven by the tyrant's hand
To seek a mother's blessing in
A strange and distant land?
Now since the color we must wear
Is England's cruel red
But Ireland's sons will not forget
The blood that they have shed.

Now I do admit that is off-topic, but I couldn't resist. ERIN GO BRAGH!

otseng
Savant

Post #108

Post by otseng »

[Replying to post 107 by JohnPaul]

Moderator Comment

Please stick to the topic and do not derail the thread.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

The Me's
Banned
Banned

Post #109

Post by The Me's »

DanieltheDragon wrote: I think the christian right is not going far enough on marriage reform according to scripture

Matthew 19:9

9 I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.�

So those who divorce except for adultery should not be allowed to legally remarry.
After all with marriage equality we don't want to legalize gay marriage because we don't want the state condoning people living in sin so therefore we shall not condone hetero sin living as well. After anyone who remarries if their spouse did not cheat on them they are living in sin and further more anyone who remarries and they were the cheater are also living in permanent sin.

so for marriage equality this should be the case
Lack of marital commitment is a societal poison. Lack of a family and a cohesive and intimately bonded group causes any number of societal problems.

Personally, I don't support gay marriage and this is one of the biggest reasons.

However, divorce is by far a bigger issue and a bigger cause of societal problems such as teen runaways, high school drop out rates, lack of respect for authority, lack of discipline in children, teen pregnancy and lack of guidance, etc.

Even if you don't believe in God, you still have to admit that the best emotional health derives from growing up in a nurturing family with parents of opposite gender, siblings, socialization with extended family, and education in the home in preparation for adulthood.

(The reason why gay couples can't raise children effectively is because by definition a child grows up with half of natural society missing. Two fathers can't teach feminine topics, and two mothers can't teach masculine. A complete education requires both. How much more a disadvantage is a home with only one parent, absent from the home 40% of the time because of work? Not only does the family lack parents of both genders, the family can be said to lack one sometimes and both at other times.)

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #110

[Replying to post 109 by The Me's]
Even if you don't believe in God, you still have to admit that the best emotional health derives from growing up in a nurturing family with parents of opposite gender, siblings, socialization with extended family, and education in the home in preparation for adulthood.

(The reason why gay couples can't raise children effectively is because by definition a child grows up with half of natural society missing. Two fathers can't teach feminine topics, and two mothers can't teach masculine. A complete education requires both. How much more a disadvantage is a home with only one parent, absent from the home 40% of the time because of work? Not only does the family lack parents of both genders, the family can be said to lack one sometimes and both at other times.)

this has been proven demonstrably false by multiple studies both in Australia and United states of America. This has been discussed in multiple other threads I would hate to rehash this here.

Divorce also is not the leading contributor to teen pregnancy a lack of sex education and contraceptives is. While there can be a correlation between divorced parents and teen pregnancies this is not necessarily a cause.

In fact most of what you posted is merely just a correlation between divorce and subsequent issues rather than a cause.

Back to the topic at hand

Would you support people being unable to remarry post divorce if adultery was not the issue which is nearly the case in 75% of all divorces?