Quantum Consciousness

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

pixelero
Apprentice

Quantum Consciousness

Post #1

Post by pixelero »

At a recent conference, "Brakke Grond" in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, January 16-18, 2014, there was a Brainstorm Session on "Microtubules and the Big Consciousness Debate". It seems there have been some new research results that apparently confirm a controversial theory of consciousness published by Sir Roger Penrose and Stuart Hameroff in Physics of Life Reviews some 20 years ago.

A report at elsevier.com says:
The recent discovery of warm temperature quantum vibrations in microtubules inside brain neurons by the research group led by Anirban Bandyopadhyay, PhD, at the National Institute of Material Sciences in Tsukuba, Japan (and now at MIT), corroborates [Penrose and Hameroff's] theory and suggests that EEG rhythms also derive from deeper level microtubule vibrations
"The origin of consciousness reflects our place in the universe, the nature of our existence. Did consciousness evolve from complex computations among brain neurons, as most scientists assert? Or has consciousness, in some sense, been here all along, as spiritual approaches maintain?" ask Hameroff and Penrose in the current review. "This opens a potential Pandora's Box, but our theory accommodates both these views, suggesting consciousness derives from quantum vibrations in microtubules, protein polymers inside brain neurons, which both govern neuronal and synaptic function, and connect brain processes to self-organizing processes in the fine scale, 'proto-conscious' quantum structure of reality."
The topic I'd like to suggest for debate is: Do these new findings support the mystical view that non-living matter/energy can be conscious?

I suspect that consciousness will continue to be recognized only in biological organisms, despite the apparent quantum effects in the brain. These effects, as far as I can tell, have only been observed by brains, not crystals or trees... so far.

higgy1911
Scholar

Post #101

Post by higgy1911 »

I'm not seeing the failure of reductionism quite yet.

I seem to be having an experience. But I am a particular combination of energy. My dog seems to be having an experience. Likewise she is a particular configuration. My door does not seem to be having. An experience. Likewise it is a particular configuration.

Are the parts having the experience? Or is the sum of the parts something distinct from what the parts might be in some other combination?

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #102

Post by Divine Insight »

higgy1911 wrote: I'm not seeing the failure of reductionism quite yet.

I seem to be having an experience. But I am a particular combination of energy. My dog seems to be having an experience. Likewise she is a particular configuration. My door does not seem to be having. An experience. Likewise it is a particular configuration.

Are the parts having the experience? Or is the sum of the parts something distinct from what the parts might be in some other combination?
Ok, let's try to take a look at this as reductionism.

Reductionism actually needs to invert itself and stand on its own head to do this to being with.

As an example, let's use reductionism to explain how an internal combustion engine works:

Well, what do we do? We look at all the parts and explain why all the parts are doing what they do to. We can explain this easily using reductionism. The main parts of the engine (i.e. the piston, cylinder, connecting rods, etc.) are easy to explain. They are just solid objects, and physics easily explains solid objects as atoms bound together in various ways.

The the bulk of the engine is easy to explain as just solid parts that are individual and movable in predicable ways. The crankshaft being circular restrains the piston to move up and down in the cylinder and so the motion of the engine is explained.

Next we add the fuel through a carburetor or fuel injection system, and then ignite the fuel in perfect timing with the piston's motion so that the fuel explodes and precisely the correct time during each cycle of the piston.

The energy produced by this engine is explained by the fuel molecules undergoing an energy transformation as they burn and giving off energy in the form of rapid expansion of the fuel as it burns along with a bunch of wasted heat.

Everything has been explained. But what did we do here? We actually explained everything using reductionism!

Now let's look at a brain. Can we explain a brain using reductionism in this same way?

No, we absolutely cannot.

On the contrary instead of trying to explain a brain in terms of the actions of individual parts we end up turning reductionism on its head and proclaiming that we can "reduce" the brain to being a complex configuration that does what it does NOT because it can be reduced to the sum of it's parts, but because we are proclaiming that it has become something MORE than the sum of it's parts!

This really isn't even reductionism at all. On the contrary it's reductionism pretending to have succeeded in explaining the behavior of something that cannot even be reduced to the sum of it's parts!

Reductionism fails miserably here but the reductionists keep on trying to proclaim that reductionism is working because they claim that they can "reduce" the brain to an "emergent property" of complexity.

And then they have the absolute audacity to proclaim that we see this all the time as in the case of an internal combustion engine which they claim is just another example of an "emergent property of complexity".

But we just saw that this is not true.

An internal combustion engine is NOT an "emergent property of complexity". On the contrary an internal combustion engine can be explained using reductionism perfectly without any need to make up any make-pretend miraculous "emergent properties of complexity".

So the reductionists are not only standing on their heads on this one, but they aren't even paying attention that reductionism actually worksfor an internal combustion engine but it does not work for a brain.

In fact, the reductionists actually need to appeal to "holism". Instead of being able to reduce a brain to the working of its parts like they did for an internal combustion engine, they proclaim that a brain only works because it has obtained some new magical "emergent property" that owes its very existence to the holism of the brain. And they claim that it cannot even be reduced at all. Do away with the brain and that new emergent property ceases to exist altogether.

~~~~

Now let's stop and think about this specifically:

At one time you were a baby. That's one configuration. And you certainly had conscious awareness when you were a baby.

But now look at yourself. You are no longer a baby (fair assumption since you are posting on this forum). ;)

You are a completely different configuration. In fact, you continually change every day. By the time you get old and decrepit you'll be an even different configuration from what you are now.

Therefore you cannot be just a particular configuration. Apparently a very wide range of configurations will do and you will always be aware that you are you.

What is the limitations on your configuration? How dramatically can your configuration be changed and you still believe that you are you?

~~~~

Imagine now that you can be teleported from one place to another. You climb into the teleportation booth and they send you off. You momentarily black out and wake up in a new place. You say, 'Yep this is me. I have arrived."

But what if they report to you that the original station still has a fully functional original of yourself? Then clearly the original must still be you too! In fact, technically you could actually say that it was the original you, and you are not just a copy of yourself.

But not to worry. Even though their are now two of you, you are just a configuration right? In fact, since this is all you are then clearly you can be copied a gazzillion times and every copy with be just another valid "you".

~~~~

Stick with me now.

~~~~

Now they teleport you again. Only this time you materialize in the new location with a new body. But you still feel like the same you in your mind. So now you are screaming, "Hey! This isn't my body!".

But wait a minute, the mind is clearly you! Otherwise you wouldn't be standing there complaining about being in the 'wrong body'.

Again they report to you that your original was also retained with your original body. And they even walk you down the hall of the laboratory and introduce you to yourself.

One of you has your original body, but the YOU that you are now experiencing has a different body and you walk up and shake hands with your original person and explain that you are not in another body.

But BOTH of these entities are YOU.

In fact, both of these entities actually believe they are you. Neither one of them can be convinced that they are not YOU.

~~~~~

So now, what I am saying it that this is how reality actually works.

Everyone you meet is YOU. Without exception.

Clearly they don't know it. They think they are individuals who are not you. And you feel the same way about them. But in reality every "YOU" is the same.

~~~~~

Did Jesus know this? :-k

"Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."

Maybe so.

Whatever you do to anyone, you do unto yourself because every consciousness in the universe is YOU.

~~~~~

There is only one underlying consciousness. And it is this underlying consciousness that is having the awareness of all configurations.

~~~~

Every time you go to sleep or lose consciousness and reawaken, it's the same YOU.

And it doesn't matter whether this happens over night or over endless spans of time.

Something is having the experience of being in the configuration that you are currently experiencing . And YOU are this entity that is having this experience.

It's not the configuration itself that is having an experience.

The configuration itself is just a fleeting configuration. You are never the same configuration from day to day. So clearly you cannot be the product of a specific configuration.

Many configurations will do.

And therefore when the configuration you currently are finally ceases to exist (i.e. your physical body dies), you will then begin to experience a brand new configuration. No doubt being reincarnated into yet another configuration.

The configuration is never YOU.

You are the entity that experiences the configuration. And you are the same entity as everyone else who is experiencing a configuration.

And we call that entity "God" for lack of a better term.

Of course, the Greeks and Hebrews have perverted the term "God" but there's not much we can do about that. That's water over the dam.

In the meantime the idea that we can be "reduced" to a configuration that is more than the sum of its parts is silly. That's not even reductionism anyway. That's reductionism standing on its head pretending to be holism.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

pixelero
Apprentice

Re: Quantum Consciousness

Post #103

Post by pixelero »

[Replying to post 100 by Divine Insight]
according to you there is nothing more to you than this abstract sense of self-awareness
strawman

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #104

Post by Divine Insight »

pixelero wrote: [Replying to post 100 by Divine Insight]
according to you there is nothing more to you than this abstract sense of self-awareness
strawman
Would you be kind enough to elaborate? :-k

If you believe that you are more than your self-awareness it would be very interesting to know what else is required. That seems to be the crux of the issue is it not?
[center]Image
[/center]

pixelero
Apprentice

Post #105

Post by pixelero »

[Replying to post 104 by Divine Insight]
If you believe that you are more than your self-awareness it would be very interesting to know what else is required.
What else is required is a living body with a functioning brain, as I have mentioned a number of times. Your pettifogging is not only an attempt to muddy the waters, it is inherently dishonest.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #106

Post by Divine Insight »

pixelero wrote: [Replying to post 104 by Divine Insight]
If you believe that you are more than your self-awareness it would be very interesting to know what else is required.
What else is required is a living body with a functioning brain, as I have mentioned a number of times. Your pettifogging is not only an attempt to muddy the waters, it is inherently dishonest.
But then you are right back to square one again.

You require that it is the material substance that that is having an experience.

But the materialistic picture has already proclaimed, by premise, that the material that makes up a body is not capable of having an experience.

So you are right back to where you were when we first began.
[center]Image
[/center]

scourge99
Guru

Post #107

Post by scourge99 »

Divine Insight wrote:

You require that it is the material substance that that is having an experience.

But the materialistic picture has already proclaimed, by premise, that the material that makes up a body is not capable of having an experience.

You seem incapable of understanding that a whole can have properties that none of its parts has.

Furthermore, if a whole has a property that none of its parts has that doesn't mean the parts intrinsically have that property.
Last edited by scourge99 on Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Religion remains the only mode of discourse that encourages grown men and women to pretend to know things they manifestly do not know.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #108

Post by Goat »

Divine Insight wrote:

Yes, yes we require that a material substance, in a specific configuration, has an experience. What evidence do you have that is testable that something more that is required? The argument you gave earlier is not a model.. I don't understand how someone who did science would put that forth as a model.. since it doesn't explain anything. I would love how you can back up the claim 'The materialistic picture already proclaimed by premise that the material that makes up a body is not capable of having an experience'. That sounds like one big straw man to me.

Explain to me how your 'mystical' element is something more than 'Gosh, i don't t know, it must be mystical'.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #109

Post by Divine Insight »

Goat wrote:
Divine Insight wrote:

Yes, yes we require that a material substance, in a specific configuration, has an experience. What evidence do you have that is testable that something more that is required? The argument you gave earlier is not a model.. I don't understand how someone who did science would put that forth as a model.. since it doesn't explain anything. I would love how you can back up the claim 'The materialistic picture already proclaimed by premise that the material that makes up a body is not capable of having an experience'. That sounds like one big straw man to me.

Explain to me how your 'mystical' element is something more than 'Gosh, i don't t know, it must be mystical'.
My ideas are as scientific as they can possibly be.

And I'm not saying anywhere near "Gosh, I don't know, it must be mystical".

That itself is a gross misunderstanding of my position.

I'm saying that it's a farce to proclaim that something like a gasoline engine or a automobile represents an "emergent property" of the universe. A gasoline engine and an automobile can be explained purely in terms of the laws of physics and atoms just doing what atoms do. Nothing new needs to be imagine or added.

The same is even true of computers, and logic circuits. There is no need to invoke any "emergent properties" to explain your computer. Your computer can be explained perfectly fine in terms of atoms just doing what atoms do according to the laws of physics.

The ONLY place where a mystical magical "emergent property" needs to be proclaimed is when we speak of that computer suddenly becoming AWARE of what's going on.

Now we have moved BEYOND atoms just doing what atoms do.

We can no longer explain this in terms of just pure physics of atoms doing what atoms do. Instead we need to proclaim that something NEW has "emerged".

Something new that atoms, and their associated forces, could not previously do.

Now we have an entity that is "having an experience".

You can't just point to the configuration of the experience itself and say, "But the configuration is the experience!".

You can't do that because when you do that you are actually pointing to what is being experienced. Not what is "having the experience".

You need to recognize that there must necessarily be a difference between the experience (the configuration of what is happening) versus the "awareness" of this configuration.

What is it that is AWARE? :-k

That question cannot be answered in the materialistic model where everything that is associated with the configuration (i.e. atoms and energy forces) are not themselves capable of being aware of anything.

The idea that materialists believe that they have a rational answer to this question is the farce. Their model does not provide an answer to what it is that has become "aware".

What is it that has become "aware"?

Atoms and energy forces is all that exists in this model. If atoms and energy forces are not aware of what is happening, then what is? :-k

To pretend that this is not a problem is baloney.

Moreover, if the answer to this question is simply, "It's the configuration itself that has become aware!"

Then guess what? That IS the mystical picture of reality!

If all you are is a configuration being aware of itself, then this is true of every consciousness that exists. Therefore there is no difference between any conscious awareness. Conscious awareness is just a configuration being aware of itself. And that's the whole point to mysticism. You and I are no different. We are exactly the very same thing. We are both just a "thought" (i.e. a configuration) in the mind of God (i.e. in the substrate of physical incarnation)

All physics does is show us how the mind of God works.

And there is a difference between your "ego" (i.e. your sense of self as defined by the particular configurations that you are currently experiencing) versus your true self (or true nature) as the entity that is ultimately having this experience.

One thing that I'm sure is problematic here is not so much that people aren't understanding the physics of the situation, but rather they aren't truly grasping the fundamental notions of mysticism. And I can't say that I blame them for that, because there are many different mystical views and some of them have been tied to personified godheads not unlike Greek and Hebrew mythologies. So there is much confusion concerning precisely what the mystical philosophies actually are. This is why I always try to refer to Taoism in particular as it seems to be the cleanest of the spiritual views.

In any case, a pure secular materialistic physics doesn't work, because in that model awareness belongs to nothing more than a complex configuration, period.

A complex configuration is what has become aware of itself. But it is made entirely of stuff, both atoms and all energy forces, that are incapable of being aware of anything.

This means that a configuration has itself become aware. But there is nothing there to be aware but a configuration of atoms and energy. And neither atoms nor energy can be aware of their configuration.

So it's a circular philosophy.

It's also a circular philosophy that is held up in terms of a false premise that "emergent properties" are common events that happen all the time. But that's a false claim already. As I have pointed out, no new properties have emerged UNTIL we get to conscious awareness. That is the only NEW property that would need to emerge that wasn't innate in atoms and energy to begin with.

So conscious awareness would be the very FIRST example we have of an emergent property in the universe that cannot be described or explained via the physics of the behavior of the constituent atoms and energy forces. All else can be explained in this way.

So in a very real sense the purely secular materialistic picture of the world is actually saying, 'Gosh, we just don't know. It must be a mystical emergent property!"

Either that, or it was innate to the material the universe is made of from the get go.

I see no reason why this latter conclusion isn't, at the very least, equally valid.

To dismiss it out-of-hand as not having equal merit, IMHO, is the same as confessing to not understanding the significance of the problem at hand.
[center]Image
[/center]

scourge99
Guru

Post #110

Post by scourge99 »

Deleted
Religion remains the only mode of discourse that encourages grown men and women to pretend to know things they manifestly do not know.