Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

connermt
Banned
Banned

What Is Christianity Based On

Post #1

Post by connermt »

Many claim god is love and thus, that's what christianity is based on - LOVE. But is it really?
While love is taught in the NT (the OT seems to be about war, death, consequences, etc), there is also much conflict going on - particularily with the political powers of the time. Some scholars even see the NT books as politically motivated works and nothing more.
The RCC hasn't been the 'loving-est' establishment throughout history - particualirily if you were a Jew, Muslim, independent thinker, the current ownership of Temple Mount, etc.
Looking around at the state of today's christianity, we see the same type of thing:
many believers complain people like Joel Osteen (sp?) is preaching too soft; sinners aren't welcomed in many churches (though only certain sinners); the legalization of beliefs based off of fear and guilt instead of letting an example be the focal point of the issue; etc.

Christians like to hide behind their beliefs/god: 'god said XYZ is bad so it's bad' or the like.
So is christianity hiding their need for conflict behind "love"? Is christianity all about conflict or truly about love?

The Me's
Banned
Banned

Re: What Is Christianity Based On

Post #11

Post by The Me's »

connermt wrote: Many claim god is love and thus, that's what christianity is based on - LOVE. But is it really?
While love is taught in the NT (the OT seems to be about war, death, consequences, etc), there is also much conflict going on - particularily with the political powers of the time. Some scholars even see the NT books as politically motivated works and nothing more.
The RCC hasn't been the 'loving-est' establishment throughout history - particualirily if you were a Jew, Muslim, independent thinker, the current ownership of Temple Mount, etc.
Looking around at the state of today's christianity, we see the same type of thing:
many believers complain people like Joel Osteen (sp?) is preaching too soft; sinners aren't welcomed in many churches (though only certain sinners); the legalization of beliefs based off of fear and guilt instead of letting an example be the focal point of the issue; etc.

Christians like to hide behind their beliefs/god: 'god said XYZ is bad so it's bad' or the like.
So is christianity hiding their need for conflict behind "love"? Is christianity all about conflict or truly about love?
If you're going to make yourself a judge of Christianity, shouldn't your evaluation consider the fact that most of the world's charity work is performed by Christians and Christian organizations?

How is that not compassion in its greatest form?

Example:

When disaster hit Haiti a few years ago, politicians and organizations struggled to see who could be seen sending help.

Christians didn't have to. They were there before the storm hit, some died as a result, and they were the first responders.

After the publicity subsided, the politicians and organizations left, but the Christians didn't.

smalltownatheist
Student

Post #12

Post by smalltownatheist »

[Replying to post 11 by The Me's]

You certainly aren't trying to claim a monopoly on charity for Christianity, are you?

I'll be the first to credit anyone who does charitable works in the name of charity itself, regardless of their religious views. But once you act charitably because of your religion, I think you miss the point and do an injustice to those whom you seek to aid.

connermt
Banned
Banned

Post #13

Post by connermt »

[[Replying to post 11 by The Me's]
If you're going to make yourself a judge of Christianity...
They only one judging here is you - and incorrectly I might add. Though perhaps christianity should be judged :-k Sounds like a good idea to me - let you answer for your religions crime's. How would that go?
...shouldn't your evaluation consider the fact that most of the world's charity work is performed by Christians and Christian organizations?
You like to throw out facts without supporting data. Before I address this absurdity, how about you show non-religious based data that 50.1% of all the world's charities are preformed by your mythos. Then we can proceed.
Yet again, you're trying to distract from the topic. Care to discuss the topic, or are we to set off on yet another of your myriad of distractions from the topic, hm? :?

connermt
Banned
Banned

Post #14

Post by connermt »

[quote="smalltownatheist"]
[Replying to post 11 by The Me's]

You certainly aren't trying to claim a monopoly on charity for Christianity, are you?

Of course. All things "good" come from christianity. Nothing "bad" comes from it. We all know within christianity there's no sexual abuse scandals, no helping the Nazis escape justice decades ago, no masquarading ID as science to push the pro-god agenda....nope - only good things like rainbows, puppies, kittens and cotton candy comes from it. :roll:

Joab
Under Probation

Post #15

Post by Joab »

The Me's wrote:
connermt wrote: Many claim god is love and thus, that's what christianity is based on - LOVE. But is it really?

If you're going to make yourself a judge of Christianity, shouldn't your evaluation consider the fact that most of the world's charity work is performed by Christians and Christian organizations?

Example:

When disaster hit Haiti a few years ago, politicians and organizations struggled to see who could be seen sending help.

Christians didn't have to. They were there before the storm hit, some died as a result, and they were the first responders.

After the publicity subsided, the politicians and organizations left, but the Christians didn't.
Or perhaps you mean Médecins Sans Frontières
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) (pronounced [medsɛ̃ sɑ̃ f�ɔ̃tjɛ�] ( listen)), or Doctors Without Borders, is a French secular humanitarian-aid non-governmental organization, Nobel Peace Prize laureate, best known for its projects in war-torn regions and developing countries facing endemic diseases.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A9dec ... i%C3%A8res
Or perhaps you meant the Red Cross/Crescent?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_crossThe International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement is an international humanitarian movement with approximately 97 million volunteers, members and staff worldwide[3] which was founded to protect human life and health, to ensure respect for all human beings, and to prevent and alleviate human suffering.

The movement consists of several distinct organizations that are legally independent from each other, but are united within the movement through common basic principles, objectives, symbols, statutes and governing organisations.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_cross

BTW did these "christians" manage to convince the natives that god was punishing them for not believing in him?
What the world needs now
Is love sweet love
It's the only thing
That there's just to little of.
No not just for some
But for everyone

Jackie Deshannon

The Me's
Banned
Banned

Post #16

Post by The Me's »

smalltownatheist wrote: [Replying to post 11 by The Me's]

I'll be the first to credit anyone who does charitable works in the name of charity itself, regardless of their religious views. But once you act charitably because of your religion, I think you miss the point and do an injustice to those whom you seek to aid.
Very nearly, yes, I am.

You can measure by $$, by number of unpaid volunteers, or by any other means. I'm willing to bet 80% or more originates with Christians or Christian organizations.

The two exceptions I'd make are the US military (such as when the tsunami hit Asia and a carrier battle group showed up--more than a week after aid from Christians arrived), and the nation of Japan (mostly Shinto), but their aid is almost always in the form of economic development, not charity.

postroad
Prodigy

Post #17

Post by postroad »

The Me's wrote:

Very nearly, yes, I am.

You can measure by $$, by number of unpaid volunteers, or by any other means. I'm willing to bet 80% or more originates with Christians or Christian organizations.

The two exceptions I'd make are the US military (such as when the tsunami hit Asia and a carrier battle group showed up--more than a week after aid from Christians arrived), and the nation of Japan (mostly Shinto), but their aid is almost always in the form of economic development, not charity.
Great! Now all I have to do is find out which denomination gives the most per person and I have found out which of them has the most truth in Christ.

connermt
Banned
Banned

Post #18

Post by connermt »

postroad wrote:
The Me's wrote:

Very nearly, yes, I am.

Great! Now all I have to do is find out which denomination gives the most per person and I have found out which of them has the most truth in Christ.
Yes because it's all about the $, control and influence of those in power at this social club called church.
\:D/

connermt
Banned
Banned

Post #19

Post by connermt »

[Replying to post 16 by The Me's]
Very nearly, yes, I am.

You can measure by $$, by number of unpaid volunteers, or by any other means.
Great
Then we can also go through history and measure the evil actions the church has done and see what the "net goodness" is, yes?
Child molestation
Codemning knowledge
Helping the Nazis kill Jews
Helping the Nazis escape justice
How much are these things worth? Or are christian charities just a means to balance out these evil actions of the church and its churche members?
Are you trying to buy your way into the afterlife if you're a charatiable christian?
I guess one CAN put a price on the lives destroyed by the church and its "goodness in the name of its god".
:roll:

The Me's
Banned
Banned

Post #20

Post by The Me's »

connermt wrote: [Replying to post 16 by The Me's]
Very nearly, yes, I am.

You can measure by $$, by number of unpaid volunteers, or by any other means.
Great
Then we can also go through history and measure the evil actions the church has done and see what the "net goodness" is, yes?
Child molestation
Codemning knowledge
Helping the Nazis kill Jews
Helping the Nazis escape justice
How much are these things worth? Or are christian charities just a means to balance out these evil actions of the church and its churche members?
Are you trying to buy your way into the afterlife if you're a charatiable christian?
I guess one CAN put a price on the lives destroyed by the church and its "goodness in the name of its god".
:roll:
And I'm the one on probation.

You actually think that it's "civil" to pretend that all Christians can be compared to Nazis and child molesters?

There is no moderation at this web site.

The reasonable thing for you to have done would be to point out non-Christian charities, such as the Red Crescent (Muslim), Hindu volunteer hospitals, or undocumented charities within China assisting their over 200,000,000 homeless and migratory population.

Instead, you openly smear all Christians by comparing them to Nazis and child molesters, and comments like this are allowed to stand as "reasonable" in a debate format.

You've done nothing but express naked hatred and bigotry. A normal human being can at a minimum acknowledge goodness and generosity and allow it to inspire them. Our generosity as a religion seems to rob you of humanity.