Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

connermt
Banned
Banned

Heaven Part 2

Post #1

Post by connermt »

Once you get to heaven, what will you do there?
Will you play with puppies and eat cotton candy without gaining weight or getting cavities?
Will you visit with friends and family forever?
Will you sit of the feet of "g"od and do nothing but praise, worship and tell it how great it is?
Or is there something else you'll be doing?

jmiller61193
Student

Re: Heaven Part 2

Post #21

Post by jmiller61193 »

[Replying to post 20 by 1213]

If heaven is a place with no evil and it is always good, that isn't even an appealing scenario.

Why is anything enjoyable and good? Because there is bad and evil things to contrast them to.

Picture a man who is born extremely rich and has everything handed to him his whole life. No evil is done to this man.

Do you think this lucky guy will be happy, satisfied, and fulfilled with his life? Or will he feel entitled to the best of treatment and not care for his lobster and steak dinners, since they are the usual for him?

If we spent an eternity in happiness and bliss, wouldn't it lose its effect after awhile?

Joab
Under Probation

Post #22

Post by Joab »

1213 wrote:
Joab wrote: Do you mean that you have never actually thought about eternity and what you would do for that time.
I try always live in the moment, not in the future or in the past.
Joab wrote:Ever sat in a hospital emergency waiting room for hours on end? What if that is heaven and it's eternal?
I think heaven is God’s place where no evil is and I believe God is good. Therefore I think it must be great place even though I don’t know accurately what there is. And on the basis of what I know about this world, I think heaven can easily be very nice place.
Is it fear that prevents you from looking beyond the present and examining the future you so desperately hope for? If heaven is sitting around with millions of others continually chanting "god is great" is it still a place you desperately hope for?

If you read the bible you should be dissuaded from believing that your god is good. Try it.
What the world needs now
Is love sweet love
It's the only thing
That there's just to little of.
No not just for some
But for everyone

Jackie Deshannon

Joab
Under Probation

Post #23

Post by Joab »

ttruscott wrote: ...the whole universe will be our playground.
Who told you that?
What the world needs now
Is love sweet love
It's the only thing
That there's just to little of.
No not just for some
But for everyone

Jackie Deshannon

Savant

Post #24

Post by 1213 »

jmiller61193 wrote: If heaven is a place with no evil and it is always good, that isn't even an appealing scenario.

Why is anything enjoyable and good? Because there is bad and evil things to contrast them to.
Maybe it is so for you. For me it is enough to understand what it would mean if good disappears.
jmiller61193 wrote:If we spent an eternity in happiness and bliss, wouldn't it lose its effect after awhile?
I think you probably have too simplistic view of heaven.

He will wipe away from them every tear from their eyes. Death will be no more; neither will there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain, any more. The first things have passed away." He who sits on the throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new." He said, "Write, for these words of God are faithful and true."
Rev. 21:4-5

Because of that I think there is no reason to be unhappy.

jmiller61193
Student

Post #25

Post by jmiller61193 »

[Replying to post 24 by 1213]

You think because of a few lines of poetry there's no reason to be unhappy?

How about people subject to whole lives of torture and genocide? I don't think a Bible verse is quite cutting it for them.