Evil Jesus and an obstructionist derived from scripture

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

none
Student

Evil Jesus and an obstructionist derived from scripture

Post #1

Post by none »

I say Jesus as described in the Bible is not really worthy of the title Messiah and instead scripture shows Jesus to be an evil obstructionist.
these first passages describe Jesus and the latter two give meaning that is in contradiction.
Deuteronomy 13

13 If there arise among you a prophet, or a dreamer of dreams, and giveth thee a sign or a wonder,

2 And the sign or the wonder come to pass, whereof he spake unto thee, saying, Let us go after other gods, which thou hast not known, and let us serve them;

3 Thou shalt not hearken unto the words of that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams: for the Lord your God proveth you, to know whether ye love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul.

4 Ye shall walk after the Lord your God, and fear him, and keep his commandments, and obey his voice, and ye shall serve him, and cleave unto him.

5 And that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams, shall be put to death; because he hath spoken to turn you away from the Lord your God, which brought you out of the land of Egypt, and redeemed you out of the house of bondage, to thrust thee out of the way which the Lord thy God commanded thee to walk in. So shalt thou put the evil away from the midst of thee.
and the following...
John 14:6
6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
...is in direct contradiction to this:
Exodus 20:3
3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

postroad
Prodigy

Post #11

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 10 by Wootah]

I am not sure if the Sanhedrin had been stripped of their right to execute people but they did find Jesus guilty of blasphemy.
Matthew 26:65
Then the high priest tore his clothes and said, “He has spoken blasphemy! Why do we need any more witnesses? Look, now you have heard the blasphemy.
Although I do not imagine the Roman authorities would have any qualms crucifying anyone with Messianic aspirations. Or for that matter anyone who would have caused a disturbance in the Temple. The whole area was a tinderbox waiting to erupt into violence.

The book of Acts describes the trial and stoning of Stephen with Saul/Paul taking part.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se ... ersion=NIV

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #12

Post by Divine Insight »

Wootah wrote:
Goat wrote: Well then, the bible is wrong.. because according to Jewish law, you can't crucify anybody as a form of execution. I don't see why the Jews would go to Pilate to begin with, since they had the authority to execute people.. there are example in the New Testament where this is so. (The claiming that they executed James and Stephen are two). Why could the Jews execute those people, but Not Jesus? It just does not make sense.
You seem to understand the situation well. Too well in fact for me to believe that you can't see the Christian point within the text. That the Jews could not kill Jesus according to the law but they wanted to because he was blaspheming and so argued Jesus was causing civil trouble and got the Romans to do it for them.
The Jews could have killed Jesus for blaspheme by stoning if they wanted to. After all according to the New Testament they were still in engaged in stoning sinners and heathens to death as commanded by the God of the Torah.

And besides, even for a demigod to proclaim that the only way to the Father God is through him he would be placing himself before the Father God. So Jesus was a blasphemer no matter what. There is no justification for Jesus in the Biblical picture.

The Christian religion is an oxymoron. And it's based upon an older religion that is already absurd.

This entire religion dies in chapter 2 and 3 of Genesis. It fails to make any sense already at that point, and it just continually goes downhill from there.

If we take Genesis chapters 2 and 3 seriously, then are creator is not only untrustworthy, but he is also extremely immoral and has no sense of decency at all.

When I read Genesis chapters 2 and 3 I can immediately see that I could have handed the situation far better. So right off the bat I can see that I am more intelligent than the authors who made up that story.

Clearly I can't be more intelligent and wiser than an actual God. Thus the story necessarily must be false. We can't have a God who isn't even as intelligent or wise as a mere mortal man.

And Genesis chapter 2 and 3 aren't the only place this happens by far. On the contrary, I can offer far better solutions to every problem this God encounters in countless cases throughout the biblical canon. Including a far better solution than the New Testament offers in Jesus.

To ask me to believe in the Bible is the same as asking me to believe that God is far beneath me in terms of both wisdom and intellect. And I'm certainly not the most intelligent or wise human either. So to ask me to believe in the Biblical God is to truly expect me to believe that I was created by an absolute idiot who has absolutely no wisdom or moral values at all.

Moreover, there is no way I could trust this God in any way. He would be so untrustworthy that it wouldn't even be worth trying to appease his egotistical demands. A person would be better off just allowing this insane immoral God to damn them when he throws one of his childish insane temper tantrums.

You're trying to tell me in your above post, that God's very own priests had gotten so far removed from God's influence and power that they actually committed the crime of killing this very same God's only begotten son. :roll:

Such a God would have so little control and influence over even his own priests that he would have already proven his absolute ineptitude to maintain control over anything at all.

Because you need to remember that even Jesus recognized the Jewish Priests as being the authority of the synagog so Jesus himself was acknowledging that these Priests were indeed God's Priests.

Just as a minor aside, I have always held that Jesus should have simply renounced the Jewish Priests as not having anything at all to do with God.

Instead he treated them precisely as though they were in charge of God's Church.

That is just yet another oxymoron of Christianity.

The Christian God would need to be so utterly inept there would be no point in placing any trust in him at all.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by Goat »

Wootah wrote:
Goat wrote: Well then, the bible is wrong.. because according to Jewish law, you can't crucify anybody as a form of execution. I don't see why the Jews would go to Pilate to begin with, since they had the authority to execute people.. there are example in the New Testament where this is so. (The claiming that they executed James and Stephen are two). Why could the Jews execute those people, but Not Jesus? It just does not make sense.
You seem to understand the situation well. Too well in fact for me to believe that you can't see the Christian point within the text. That the Jews could not kill Jesus according to the law but they wanted to because he was blaspheming and so argued Jesus was causing civil trouble and got the Romans to do it for them.
Yes, that is the christian point of view, but the whole elaborate story and set up for that just does not make any rational or reasonable sense.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #14

Post by Goat »

postroad wrote: [Replying to post 10 by Wootah]

I am not sure if the Sanhedrin had been stripped of their right to execute people but they did find Jesus guilty of blasphemy.
Matthew 26:65
Then the high priest tore his clothes and said, “He has spoken blasphemy! Why do we need any more witnesses? Look, now you have heard the blasphemy.
Although I do not imagine the Roman authorities would have any qualms crucifying anyone with Messianic aspirations. Or for that matter anyone who would have caused a disturbance in the Temple. The whole area was a tinderbox waiting to erupt into violence.

The book of Acts describes the trial and stoning of Stephen with Saul/Paul taking part.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se ... ersion=NIV
Well, that is the claim of the author of the Gospel of Matthew. However, the procedures that Matthew claimed were followed are against Jewish law. That raises doubt that Matthew was relaying actual events.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

postroad
Prodigy

Post #15

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 14 by Goat]

I think the author wanted to downplay the involvement of the Romans and place the blame on the Jews.

Here the author of the book of John isn't subtle at all about this.
John 19:10-12

New International Version (NIV)

10 “Do you refuse to speak to me?� Pilate said. “Don’t you realize I have power either to free you or to crucify you?�

11 Jesus answered, “You would have no power over me if it were not given to you from above. Therefore the one who handed me over to you is guilty of a greater sin.�

12 From then on, Pilate tried to set Jesus free, but the Jewish leaders kept shouting, “If you let this man go, you are no friend of Caesar. Anyone who claims to be a king opposes Caesar.�
As if the guilt gets greater the closer one gets to the initial act that God himself ordained should happen.
Acts 4:27-29

New International Version (NIV)

27 Indeed Herod and Pontius Pilate met together with the Gentiles and the people of Israel in this city to conspire against your holy servant Jesus, whom you anointed. 28 They did what your power and will had decided beforehand should happen. 29 Now, Lord, consider their threats and enable your servants to speak your word with great boldness.
That makes God the most guilty of all.