I just saw "Noah."

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

dianaiad
Site Supporter

I just saw "Noah."

Post #1

Post by dianaiad »

Now, I wouldn't mind this version of "Noah and the Ark," as fraught with angst as it was, except that the previews made a point of it's being true to the Genesis account in the bible.

Other than, of course, that it was a pretty bad movie anyway, were you aware, from Genesis, that:

1. There was a stowaway on the Ark?
2. That Noah built the Ark with trees grown miraculously from a seed that Methuselah gave him?
3. That a bunch of fallen angels shaped like a bunch of rocks (think Ents, only stonier) built the ark?
4. That Noah was somehow under the impression that he and his family were supposed to be the very last of humankind...to the point that he thought he was supposed to kill the newborn twin daughters of his oldest son's wife?
5. That his inability to kill the kids caused him to go off and become a drunken hermit?

I dunno about you guys, but (other than it was a lousy movie and I really resent having paid IMAX prices to see it) if it is advertized to be 'true to the book,' shouldn't it actually, y'know, be TRUE TO THE BOOK?

...and yeah, I'd feel this way about a movie based on any other book that claimed to 'be true to the book' and then wasn't.

....a stowaway on the Ark? Really?

Noah's sons ganging up on him trying to kill him?

Artistic license, I suppose; after all, Genesis doesn't say that there weren't any stowaways or family squabbles, but it DOES say rather clearly that Shem, Ham and Japheth were not only married, but that they brought their wives on board.

The movie's entire plot is based around how the youngest two didn't have women.

(shrug) whatever...it's just that the previews said......

Oh, nevermind.

Wootah
Savant

Post #2

Post by Wootah »

I thought it was a good movie there were plenty of biblical themes present but yes it was sadly non biblical.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Hatuey
Banned
Banned

Re: I just saw "Noah."

Post #3

Post by Hatuey »

[Replying to post 1 by dianaiad]

The story in genesis is so vague that any director would have to add tons of narrative. Most critics of Noah seem to imply that the added narrative should have been much more mundane...like sawing wood and familial interactions and shots of animals marching in pairs from distant lands. This director went another way...in an effort to scifi it up, maybe, to be more like modern superhero flicks?

Wootah
Savant

Post #4

Post by Wootah »

The connection to genesis and redeeming the chaos was there.

The concept of being made in the image of God was there and how we either think we are gods or think we are stewards.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Mr. LongView

h

Post #5

Post by Mr. LongView »

To me it seemed like there was two different types of trailers for this movie...

The, "This movie is going to follow the bible real closely" trailer and, the newer one that left me scratching my head.

Good marketing ploy!

dianaiad
Site Supporter

Re: I just saw "Noah."

Post #6

Post by dianaiad »

Hatuey wrote: [Replying to post 1 by dianaiad]

The story in genesis is so vague that any director would have to add tons of narrative. Most critics of Noah seem to imply that the added narrative should have been much more mundane...like sawing wood and familial interactions and shots of animals marching in pairs from distant lands. This director went another way...in an effort to scifi it up, maybe, to be more like modern superhero flicks?

As I mentioned, I didn't really have a problem with the added stuff...it's a movie. It's a movie made in the land of CGI graphics.

All THAT did was make it a typical movie which owed its origins more to Gladiator and Lord of the Rings than to the bible...big whoop. The added stuff is more than a little derivative...I mean, really...the guy who came up with the rocky Ents should be sued for plagiarism.

However, Genesis states rather clearly that Noah's sons brought their wives with them on board the ark.