Negative Influences of Religion

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Negative Influences of Religion

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

It is sometimes said that religion produces negative effects upon individuals who practice the popular religions.

What are negative effects on individual behavior?

Let's not talk about theoretical or possible effects, but rather about real actions in everyday life that demonstrate a negative influence of religion.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Clownboat
Savant

Re: Negative Influences of Religion

Post #11

Post by Clownboat »

Zzyzx wrote: .
It is sometimes said that religion produces negative effects upon individuals who practice the popular religions.

Let's not talk about theoretical or possible effects, but rather about real actions in everyday life that demonstrate a negative influence of religion.
Consider Christianity vs Islam:

These beliefs have parents teaching their children that there is a god that loves them enough to send them to a paradise after death, but so despises the other as to sentence them to eternal hell.

Think about the effect this will have on many children to actually believe something like this to be true and to then live your life believing such a thing. I see nothing positive that can come about by teaching such a concept to our children.

Children will view people that follow other god concepts, or no god concept at all as people that deserve to burn in a lake of fire for eternity. I see this as a negative influence for children growing up in a world full of opposing religious beliefs. It's a horrible default position to have IMO.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

zeromeansnothing

Post #12

Post by zeromeansnothing »

My immediate inclination is to work to destroy religion....... but and this is a big but...?

Religion has been our modus as a species since the start of time. Can we work collectively as a species without God references. I think that that would create a void which might be filled by something much worse. This is hard to imagine and might be worth a thread, ie a world without religious belief, a 'godless' world. Are our Gods just a substitute for our next compulsion????

ElCodeMonkey
Site Supporter

Re: Negative Influences of Religion

Post #13

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

Zzyzx wrote: .

Here's a negative effect for you. If person X makes a decision you don't like, let's stop supporting children! Clearly, people give as a bribe for proselytizing. They're not giving out of love and we all know that if you give without love it is worth nothing. Funny/sad how Jesus happened to be against the very people who thought to fight against "adulterers." Sounds like the Anti-Jesus crowd yet again praises Jesus while completely disobeying him. Way to support your cause guys... Is your cause love or is it religion? Do you follow Jesus or the Pharisees? I forget...

http://matthewpaulturner.com/2014/04/03 ... in-2-days/
I'm Published! Christians Are Revolting: An Infidel's Progress
My Blog: Friendly By Nurture
The Wisdom I've gleaned.
My Current Beliefs.