You have to believe in something!

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Peter
Guru

You have to believe in something!

Post #1

Post by Peter »

If you're an atheist I'm sure you've gotten the question.

If I'm being snarky I'll say something like, "If I must believe in something irrational I choose Leprechauns". My non-snarky answer is "nature" but it doesn't feel as grand as believing in some all powerful being in charge of the universe. Maybe I have god envy.

What does a theist mean with that question?

What's a good answer for an atheist?
Religion is poison because it asks us to give up our most precious faculty, which is that of reason, and to believe things without evidence. It then asks us to respect this, which it calls faith. - Christopher Hitchens

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Re: You have to believe in something!

Post #31

Post by Zzyzx »

EduChris wrote:
In the end, we all believe what we want to believe. Only after we've arrived at our conclusion do we start looking around for ways to rationalize it.
This is where Scientific Method and Theology part company.

Science looks at evidence and seeks conclusions.

Theology starts with conclusions and seeks confirmation.

The former is intended to minimize bias. The latter maximizes and perpetuates bias.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Ooberman
Banned
Banned

Post #32

Post by Ooberman »

Zzyzx wrote:
EduChris wrote:
In the end, we all believe what we want to believe. Only after we've arrived at our conclusion do we start looking around for ways to rationalize it.

The former is intended to minimize bias. The latter maximizes and perpetuates bias.

Yes, I couldn't disagree more with EduChris's comment. In fact, it seems like he has abdicated all reason and control over his life.

For example, I was a HUGE NPL believer. I thought there was a scientific basis for it.

There is none. I have, despite my wish for it to be true, have come to the conclusion it isn't.

I used to believe in God, Santa (when I was younger) and many things that I later changed my mind on.

I feel sorry for EduChris.. What a horrible way to live ones life: forced to find justifications for a belief and never trying to take any other option seriously.

I'd love to be the salesperson on the other side of the counter, though! It sounds like I just have to tell him what he wants to hear.
Thinking about God's opinions and thinking about your own opinions uses an identical thought process. - Tomas Rees

EduChris
Prodigy

Post #33

Post by EduChris »

Ooberman wrote:...a scientific basis for it...
From the standpoint of reason, theism vs. non-theism is not a scientific matter, but rather a philosophical one. In my experience, those who suppose that science can decide the matter typically do not understand either of these two distinct intellectual pursuits.

Beyond that, however, theism is most importantly a matter of the heart and the will--but these things are not amenable to a debate site such as this.
Last edited by EduChris on Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am a work in process; I do not claim absolute knowledge or absolute certainty; I simply present the best working hypothesis I have at the moment, always pending new information and further insight.

α β γ δ ε ζ η θ ι κ λ μ ν ξ ο π � σ ς τ υ φ χ ψ ω - Α Β Γ Δ Ε Ζ Η Θ Ι Κ Λ Μ � Ξ Ο Π Ρ Σ Τ Υ Φ Χ Ψ Ω

EduChris
Prodigy

Post #34

Post by EduChris »

Danmark wrote:...I would like the comfort of belief...
But again, we all have our beliefs which cannot be proven, don't we?

Danmark wrote:...I cannot summon the will to believe simply because I think it a comfort.
Don't we all have a tangle of disparate and sometimes competing desires? And don't the strongest desires typically win out?
I am a work in process; I do not claim absolute knowledge or absolute certainty; I simply present the best working hypothesis I have at the moment, always pending new information and further insight.

α β γ δ ε ζ η θ ι κ λ μ ν ξ ο π � σ ς τ υ φ χ ψ ω - Α Β Γ Δ Ε Ζ Η Θ Ι Κ Λ Μ � Ξ Ο Π Ρ Σ Τ Υ Φ Χ Ψ Ω

Overcomer
Guru

Post #35

Post by Overcomer »

I like the following statement by G. K. Chesterton.

"When people stop believing in God, they don't believe in nothing---they believe in anything."

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #36

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 33:
EduChris wrote: From the standpoint of reason, theism vs. non-theism is not a scientific matter, but rather a philosophical one. I my experience, those who suppose that science can decide the matter typically do not understand either of these two distinct intellectual pursuits.
Science can, ostensibly, look at the data presented by religionists, and draw conclusions from that data. Thusfar the scientific concensus seems to be that the core claims of religious literalists can't be shown to be anything but...
EduChris wrote: Beyond that, however, theism is most importantly a matter of the heart and the will--but these things are not amenable to a debate site such as this.
In other words, they're based purely on emotion, on not on evidence, or at least reasoned conclusions regarding what evidence may be proposed.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #37

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Overcomer wrote: I like the following statement by G. K. Chesterton.

"When people stop believing in God, they don't believe in nothing---they believe in anything."
Yeah, 'cause "I believe there's a god up there, and he don't like how you carry on, and how 'bout ol' Dead Jesus there, hopping up after three days and strolling through town" ain't believing "anything"

:roll:
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #38

Post by McCulloch »

Well, it is a clever play on words but certainly not true. Believers in God are more likely to believe in pseudo-science.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

dianaiad
Site Supporter

Post #39

Post by dianaiad »

Ooberman wrote:
Zzyzx wrote:
EduChris wrote:

Yes, I couldn't disagree more with EduChris's comment. In fact, it seems like he has abdicated all reason and control over his life.

For example, I was a HUGE NPL believer. I thought there was a scientific basis for it.

There is none. I have, despite my wish for it to be true, have come to the conclusion it isn't.

I used to believe in God, Santa (when I was younger) and many things that I later changed my mind on.

I feel sorry for EduChris.. What a horrible way to live ones life: forced to find justifications for a belief and never trying to take any other option seriously.

I'd love to be the salesperson on the other side of the counter, though! It sounds like I just have to tell him what he wants to hear.

:warning: Moderator Warning

Refrain from making personal comments about other posters. If you disagree with a position, address the position, not the person.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #40

Post by Goat »

You might like that.. but can you show it to be true? It seems like one of the trite sneers against people who believe different, rather than anything of substance.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella