IF Jesus death is atonement...

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

IF Jesus death is atonement...

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

IF Jesus death appeases the Father and makes it possible for him to forgive, (a position that I reject because I do not believe the Father needs blood in order to forgive) then who is Jesus sacrifice applied to?

Isn't there a verse from Paul that goes something like this: "Jesus died for all ESPECIALLY (my emphasis) for those who believe."

Paul's statement seems to leave room for the possibility that non-Christians can be saved too.

Agree or disagree and why?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Savant

Re: IF Jesus death is atonement...

Post #11

Post by 1213 »

Elijah John wrote: But Paul did argue that all died from Adam's original sin, and that Jesus makes it possible for all to live because of his sacrifice.
I think first death is this world. Therefore we all are in death. And that is because of what Adam and Eve did.

Jesus came to free us from this death. He came to show the way back to life. And that he used his life for us can be seen as sacrifice for us.

"Most assuredly I tell you, he who hears my word, and believes him who sent me, has eternal life, and doesn't come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.
John 5:24

Elijah John
Savant

Post #12

Post by Elijah John »

1213 wrote:
Elijah John wrote: But Paul did argue that all died from Adam's original sin, and that Jesus makes it possible for all to live because of his sacrifice.
I think first death is this world. Therefore we all are in death. And that is because of what Adam and Eve did.

Jesus came to free us from this death. He came to show the way back to life. And that he used his life for us can be seen as sacrifice for us.

"Most assuredly I tell you, he who hears my word, and believes him who sent me, has eternal life, and doesn't come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.
John 5:24
What if Adam and Even were only fictional or mythic characters and not real, actual people? What if there were no apple-pickin' "fall"? What happens if there were no "original sin"? Doesn't the whole theology of Christ's redemptive blood sacrifice crumble?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Savant

Post #13

Post by 1213 »

Elijah John wrote: What if Adam and Even were only fictional or mythic characters and not real, actual people? What if there were no apple-pickin' "fall"? What happens if there were no "original sin"? Doesn't the whole theology of Christ's redemptive blood sacrifice crumble?
“Theology of Christ� couldn’t be the same. But maybe it wouldn’t crumble.

heavensgate
Apprentice

Post #14

Post by heavensgate »

Elijah John wrote: IF Jesus death appeases the Father and makes it possible for him to forgive, (a position that I reject because I do not believe the Father needs blood in order to forgive) then who is Jesus sacrifice applied to?

Isn't there a verse from Paul that goes something like this: "Jesus died for all ESPECIALLY (my emphasis) for those who believe."

Paul's statement seems to leave room for the possibility that non-Christians can be saved too.

Agree or disagree and why?
Firstly I think appeasement is the wrong perception of the cross. Appeasement is like to placating an angry person. Atonement on the other hand which is the biblical concept means "cover over". in other words forgive, turn a blind eye.
This actually speaks of Grace from God. That is like one who forgives another without any real ground for that forgiveness. I think this really shows the Love of God and His particular love for the whole human race.
The sacrifice of Christ is in stark contrast to the choices of Adam and Eve.
A&E were romanced from their closeness to God with a promise that they themselves would become Gods, masters of their own destiny. So wilful obedience to their own conflated view of themselves placed us all in a pattern of self aggrandisement. Would we have made the same choices? Damn straight we would have. So why does God find fault? It is more like we have placed ourselves in a contra reality, than the reality that is found in God. We as a race do so all the time, and in this C.S.Lewis is right when it comes to describing the bibles description of man's condition. The bible is so like real life. It describes us well.
In this sense it is not appeasement, it is atonement, a reconciliation of individuals, and yes man to God.
On the question of if this is extended to all of mankind?
It comes back to the original problem. Do we seek independence from God, our creator?
As C.S. Lewis says. "There are two kinds of people. Those who say to God "Thy Will be done", and then there are those to whom God says, "thy will be done"."