Paid to Pray

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Paid to Pray

Post #1

Post by McCulloch »

A recent post got me to thinking; is it allowable for a Christian to charge a fee to pray for people?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Nickman
Site Supporter

Re: Paid to Pray

Post #2

Post by Nickman »

McCulloch wrote: A recent post got me to thinking; is it allowable for a Christian to charge a fee to pray for people?
If dumb people will pay, then shame on them. If a person is that gullible, then they deserve to be ripped off. I know many people I can ask to pray for me without any money exchanged. Maybe the people, who would pay for prayer, think that the person offering is more holier than thou of sorts.

Wootah
Savant

Post #3

Post by Wootah »

I can't say I am opposed to it in a commercial sense but what value is being added to one's own prayers?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Strider324
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by Strider324 »

I don't see why not. The Catholic Church did it for centuries. If you paid them an 'indulgence', they would pray for your poor family members languishing in Purgatory.

Religion is about profit, after all.
:thumb:
"Do Good for Good is Good to do. Spurn Bribe of Heaven and Threat of Hell"
- The Kasidah of Haji abdu al-Yezdi

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by McCulloch »

This is in the Theology, Doctrine and Dogma forum, so it is not a debate about whether Christian prayer is effective. It is a debate about whether it is correct for a Christian to accept pay for a prayer.
On one hand, the writer who identifies himself as Paul in 1 Timothy 5:17-18 wrote:The elders who rule well are to be considered worthy of double honor, especially those who work hard at preaching and teaching. For the Scripture says, “You shall not muzzle the ox while he is threshing,� and “The laborer is worthy of his wages.�
Presumably prayer is work and perhaps then does merit being paid.
On the other hand, the writer of Matthew's gospel wrote:“So when you give to the poor, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be honored by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. But when you give to the poor, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving will be in secret; and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.

“When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.�
It is really difficult, I think, to be paid for something you have done in secret.

:confused2:
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Ooberman
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by Ooberman »

One could argue that the time taken to pray is worth something.

Usually, one charges a certain amount based on their expertise.

I pay a good mechanic more than a bad one because of the results of the time they spend doing what I've asked.

But, we all know prayer is worthless. So, why pay money for something that is useless? You'd only be supporting a person who is sick (thinks prayer works) or a con artist (is ripping you off).

Ministers charge money for their services. Not specifically for prayer - that would be unconscionable - but for counseling, Church-upkeep, telling nice lies (mommy's in Heaven now, child). Psychics often charge for lies.

But, then, so do Hedge Fund managers and brokers. Politicians....

Let people give money to who they want, but we should also force people to back up their expertise.

If a person wants a prayer stuck into the wailing wall, fine. Why? I don't know.

Of course, I signed up to put my family's names on Curiosity. Our names are now on Mars! I'm sure we are going to have good health and a long life because of it! :-)

I should have charged money to sign them up, and told them it will cure their cancer.
Thinking about God's opinions and thinking about your own opinions uses an identical thought process. - Tomas Rees

dukekenha
Apprentice

Post #7

Post by dukekenha »

[Replying to McCulloch]

Matthew 10:7-8
And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand. Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.

Christian should not accept payment for prayer for it should be free. Anything with payment is not from Christ, therefore the one who offers it is fake.
"I truly appreciate your patience, as English is not my native language. I am attempting at this time to learn the dialect, and as I said, I certainly appreciate the patience, and any help I can receive, thanks."

connermt
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by connermt »

McCulloch wrote: A recent post got me to thinking; is it allowable for a Christian to charge a fee to pray for people?
It happens daily - several times a day. They're called 'televangelists'. It's a booming business.