The amorphous atheist.

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

bluethread
Savant

The amorphous atheist.

Post #1

Post by bluethread »

Why do many atheists refuse to identify themselves with any particular philosophy, while requiring theists to identify with a particular philosophy?

wiploc
Guru

Re: The amorphous atheist.

Post #41

Post by wiploc »

bluethread wrote: Why do many atheists refuse to identify themselves with any particular philosophy, while requiring theists to identify with a particular philosophy?
Perhaps you've heard atheists respond to questions like, "What do atheists believe about X?" In that situation, it is appropriate to point out that atheists are all over the place except on a single point: we don't believe that gods exist.

Or perhaps you've seen atheists respond to imputations that in order to be an atheist one has to have a belief that gods don't exist. The proper response is to point out that weak atheists (or agnostics, if you prefer) are atheists without that belief.

If you want an atheist to identify with a particular philosophy, ask him how she feels about something specific. Don't ask how atheists in general feel about it.

bluethread
Savant

Post #42

Post by bluethread »

wiploc wrote:
bluethread wrote: Why do many atheists refuse to identify themselves with any particular philosophy, while requiring theists to identify with a particular philosophy?
Perhaps you've heard atheists respond to questions like, "What do atheists believe about X?" In that situation, it is appropriate to point out that atheists are all over the place except on a single point: we don't believe that gods exist.

Or perhaps you've seen atheists respond to imputations that in order to be an atheist one has to have a belief that gods don't exist. The proper response is to point out that weak atheists (or agnostics, if you prefer) are atheists without that belief.

If you want an atheist to identify with a particular philosophy, ask him how she feels about something specific. Don't ask how atheists in general feel about it.
Thank you for the advise. however, I generally do not speak of atheists as a group and intend on only recognizing the term as a statement of position, not a justification. The basic problem is the person who uses the term as a shield against having to address the philosophical and practical issues of life, while requiring others to address them. One the advise of a poster on this thread, I will no longer abide the someone using the term "atheist" for that purpose.

wiploc
Guru

Post #43

Post by wiploc »

bluethread wrote: Thank you for the advise. however, I generally do not speak of atheists as a group and intend on only recognizing the term as a statement of position, not a justification. The basic problem is the person who uses the term as a shield against having to address the philosophical and practical issues of life, while requiring others to address them. One the advise of a poster on this thread, I will no longer abide the someone using the term "atheist" for that purpose.
I wonder what that would look like. Can you give us an example of someone doing that?

bluethread
Savant

Post #44

Post by bluethread »

wiploc wrote:
bluethread wrote: Thank you for the advise. however, I generally do not speak of atheists as a group and intend on only recognizing the term as a statement of position, not a justification. The basic problem is the person who uses the term as a shield against having to address the philosophical and practical issues of life, while requiring others to address them. One the advise of a poster on this thread, I will no longer abide the someone using the term "atheist" for that purpose.
I wonder what that would look like. Can you give us an example of someone doing that?
Off the top of my head, here is a hypothetical exchange.

A: Why do you have special days?
T: They are to remind me of several things.
A: What things?
T: The creation of the world, the rules I live by, the birth of ABC, the death of ABC, etc.
A: That's silly!

T: Don't you have any special days?

A: No, I am an atheist.

T: What does that have to do with not having special days.

A: I do not believe the world was created, has objective rules, or in ABC.

T: One can have special days for other things, so do you have any special days?

T: OK, I understand that it is possible that someone could see absolutely no difference between one day and another, but how does lack of faith in a deity support that lifestyle.

A: It doesn't, atheist just means that I do not believe in a god.

T: So, why did you say you were an atheist, when I asked you if you have any special days?

A: Because, I think your special religious days are silly.

T: Ok, you think my religious days are silly, but don't you have any special days and if not why not?

A: No, I'm an atheist.

And on and on it goes.

Ooberman
Banned
Banned

Post #45

Post by Ooberman »

bluethread wrote:
wiploc wrote:

T: The creation of the world, the rules I live by, the birth of ABC, the death of ABC, etc.
A: That's silly!

T: Don't you have any special days?

T: What does that have to do with not having special days.

A: I do not believe the world was created, has objective rules, or in ABC.

T: One can have special days for other things, so do you have any special days?

T: OK, I understand that it is possible that someone could see absolutely no difference between one day and another, but how does lack of faith in a deity support that lifestyle.

A: It doesn't, atheist just means that I do not believe in a god.

T: So, why did you say you were an atheist, when I asked you if you have any special days?

A: Because, I think your special religious days are silly.

T: Ok, you think my religious days are silly, but don't you have any special days and if not why not?

And on and on it goes.

Sorry, but that was totally incoherent. I have no idea what your point was.

I am worried that it reveals an unbridgeable cognitive gap between theists and atheists.

Can you possibly translate it in a way atheists would understand?
Thinking about God's opinions and thinking about your own opinions uses an identical thought process. - Tomas Rees

wiploc
Guru

Post #46

Post by wiploc »

bluethread wrote:

And on and on it goes.
Well, I'd jump in on your side if I saw that happening. But I've never seen it happen. I don't believe it's a significant problem.

Maybe you could give links to actual examples?

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #47

Post by McCulloch »

T: The creation of the world, the rules I live by, the birth of ABC, the death of ABC, etc. Don't you have any special days?

A: Yes, but I am an atheist. I celebrate the founding of our nation; Earth day; the end of a war etc.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Mr.Badham
Sage

Post #48

Post by Mr.Badham »

I don't think I have a particular philosophy. You have to ask me specific questions. I can tell you how I've dealt with situations, and how I wish I had have dealt with situations, how I am dealing with situations and how I would like to deal with situations in the future if they should arise.

As for an overarching philosophy... I don't know. I don't think I have one.

ReligionOFTHEsemites

Post #49

Post by ReligionOFTHEsemites »

Why do atheists refuse to identify with a religion? Because we're probably not religious. And nobody is requiring theists to identify with anything. Many people in America have a religion about "energies" and "karma" but when asked about what religion they are, they say they aren't. Nobody "requires" anything. By saying your a Christian, you are saying you believe in Christ in one way or another. You are requiring YOURSELF to identify with a certain philosophy.

I love your language in your post LOL. "Atheists force Christians to do something while we refuse to do it ourselves" is essentially what you are portraying here. Definitely has a "I'm a Christian, I'm so oppressed!" vibe. Lol

Cephus
Prodigy

Post #50

Post by Cephus »

Exactly how do atheists "require" theists to identify as any particular philosophy? Where do atheists get the power to "require" these things? Virtually all theists I encounter voluntarily segregate themselves into different camps, not only general categories like "Christian", "Muslim" or "Jew", but much smaller groups like "Episcopalian" or "Southern Baptist", "Shiite" or "Sunni", etc. We don't force them to do so, they do it quite voluntarily.

Atheism, on the other hand, doesn't have many sub-categories to worry about. It's not a philosophy. It is a rejection of the claims of theists for lack of evidence. Most atheists, if you're curious about a particular position they hold, are only too happy to expound on it if you just ask.
Want to hear more? Check out my blog!
Watch my YouTube channel!
There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.