1st Church of Jesus Christ, Atheist

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Danmark
Site Supporter

1st Church of Jesus Christ, Atheist

Post #1

Post by Danmark »

After realizing that most churches in America only give 1% of their budget for benevolence, and almost all the rest for their buildings and to pay personnel, I've decided it is more appropriate to call their buildings 'Club Houses' than 'Churches.'

So why not start our own church? America’s tax laws are designed to favor non-profit and charitable institutions which presumably benefit the community. These club houses don't really benefit the community. They just provide a place for people to hang out and falsely believe they are doing something good when they are really just spending the money on themselves. So why can't we do the same and avoid paying property taxes and tax on [strike]revenues[/strike] donations?

Fitness and pleasure is going to be at the heart of my church, so we'll have a pool, spa, and exercise equipment. Plenty of wine for communion. At first, I think I'll just donate my speaking fees until it gets up and running. I've already got my Universal Life Church 'Credentials of Ministry' and my parking pass. So I think we're set.
I've just discovered there's at least one other DCR member in my community, which apparently is an Atheist Vortex, so we've got an inchoate planning committee.
If you want to send donations, pm me for my address. 8-)

Nickman
Site Supporter

Re: 1st Church of Jesus Christ, Atheist

Post #11

Post by Nickman »

Danmark wrote: After realizing that most churches in America only give 1% of their budget for benevolence, and almost all the rest for their buildings and to pay personnel, I've decided it is more appropriate to call their buildings 'Club Houses' than 'Churches.'

So why not start our own church? America’s tax laws are designed to favor non-profit and charitable institutions which presumably benefit the community. These club houses don't really benefit the community. They just provide a place for people to hang out and falsely believe they are doing something good when they are really just spending the money on themselves. So why can't we do the same and avoid paying property taxes and tax on [strike]revenues[/strike] donations?

Fitness and pleasure is going to be at the heart of my church, so we'll have a pool, spa, and exercise equipment. Plenty of wine for communion. At first, I think I'll just donate my speaking fees until it gets up and running. I've already got my Universal Life Church 'Credentials of Ministry' and my parking pass. So I think we're set.
I've just discovered there's at least one other DCR member in my community, which apparently is an Atheist Vortex, so we've got an inchoate planning committee.
If you want to send donations, pm me for my address. 8-)
I suggest that our communion should be beer and wings.

Wissing
Apprentice

Post #12

Post by Wissing »

My take on all this is that the average church spends virtually all its income on the general fund, simply to run the church, keep the buildings maintained, service the debt an pay salaries to staff. Virtually nothing goes outside the church to aid the poor.
Danmark, thank you for the links. I will review them when I have time. I heard recently from a local source that the average Christian in the US tithes something like 2-3% - meaning I can at least partially confirm your first citation (though it is possible that my source also used the same article to get his information).

That being said, let's talk about solutions. How are you helping the poor? What is your strategy? The market for social critics is saturated. I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to help the poor in sustainable, long-lasting ways, without accidentally causing harm. There's really a lot to it. It's not enough just to "help the poor" - you have to do it correctly. So what is your opinion on the correct way to help the poor without causing harm, and how are you implementing it in your own life? I would like to hear your experience, so that I can find better ways to effectively help as well.

Thanks!

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by Danmark »

Wissing wrote:
My take on all this is that the average church spends virtually all its income on the general fund, simply to run the church, keep the buildings maintained, service the debt an pay salaries to staff. Virtually nothing goes outside the church to aid the poor.
Danmark, thank you for the links. I will review them when I have time. I heard recently from a local source that the average Christian in the US tithes something like 2-3% - meaning I can at least partially confirm your first citation (though it is possible that my source also used the same article to get his information).

That being said, let's talk about solutions. How are you helping the poor? What is your strategy? The market for social critics is saturated. I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to help the poor in sustainable, long-lasting ways, without accidentally causing harm. There's really a lot to it. It's not enough just to "help the poor" - you have to do it correctly. So what is your opinion on the correct way to help the poor without causing harm, and how are you implementing it in your own life? I would like to hear your experience, so that I can find better ways to effectively help as well.

Thanks!
Thank you for the interesting questions. Altho' they are personal and not really germane to the issue of why churches should get tax breaks, I will answer some of your questions.

Before I get to that, let's agree that reports from particular individuals don't mean much. I grew up in a Christian tradition that claimed they gave a higher percentage of their income than any other Christian denomination. Many of the members felt that 10% of their income was merely an obligation; that 'offerings' above the 10% tithe was expected. I knew many fine Christian people who, tho' hardly wealthy, gave more than 10% of their income to the church.

In no way do I want to detract from those wonderful individuals. But the plain truth is that of what is given, only a tiny percentage actually goes to help the poor.

I absolutely agree with your suggestion that just throwing money at people may not be the wisest choice. One of the greatest challenges we have is to find a way to help the truly needy without increasing their dependency and without giving an incentive to avoid work.

My experience in working with the poor is that the thing they want above all else is to have a decent job. I've had people I was very close to and admired very much, who would have qualified as 100% disabled, yet they never applied for and never received a penny of government assistance. Their disabilities were purely physical, but they could have taken the 'easy way' and depended on the State and private charity.

The only thing it would have cost them was their dignity.

What I personally do or have done is irrelevant to the discussion. I will tell you that many in my profession have donated many hours of their time to help people who needed their services, but could not afford to pay a dime. More importantly, in donating that time, they have done far more than simply render a professional service; they have answered the emotional needs of those who needed encouragement and hope far more than they needed money or professional services.

tasteslikecorn
Student

Post #14

Post by tasteslikecorn »

[Replying to post 1 by Danmark]

And being that neighbor, you can count on Tasteslikecorn to support your church. Can we change the communion wine to a really hoppy northwest IPA?

tasteslikecorn
Student

Post #15

Post by tasteslikecorn »

[Replying to post 8 by Ooberman]

The irony (or unchangeable truth) of it all is that the major motivation under the birth of the modern church under Constantine was to gain freedom from taxes. And then later, under Theodosius, to be free from taxes and not have one's skin melted. What right does, as Danmark smartly puts it, a "clubhouse" have to avoid taxes when it really is not a "giving" institution? There are many other institutions that give a much higher percentage of their money and talents to their community, yet they are not tax-exempt. Maybe Danmark will take the SubGenius idea a step further and challenge the whole enterprise with an actual brick and mortar "church" that pushes these boundaries even further. I motion that we elect Danmark "Holy See" of said church and would like to suggest the first dogmatic concept for this new church to declare his "inerrancy" in regards to his critique of all other churches.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #16

Post by Clownboat »

tasteslikecorn wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Danmark]

And being that neighbor, you can count on Tasteslikecorn to support your church. Can we change the communion wine to a really hoppy northwest IPA?
Samples available?
Also, I would like to subscribe to your news letter.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Clownboat
Savant

Post #17

Post by Clownboat »

tasteslikecorn wrote: [Replying to post 8 by Ooberman]

The irony (or unchangeable truth) of it all is that the major motivation under the birth of the modern church under Constantine was to gain freedom from taxes. And then later, under Theodosius, to be free from taxes and not have one's skin melted. What right does, as Danmark smartly puts it, a "clubhouse" have to avoid taxes when it really is not a "giving" institution? There are many other institutions that give a much higher percentage of their money and talents to their community, yet they are not tax-exempt. Maybe Danmark will take the SubGenius idea a step further and challenge the whole enterprise with an actual brick and mortar "church" that pushes these boundaries even further. I motion that we elect Danmark "Holy See" of said church and would like to suggest the first dogmatic concept for this new church to declare his "inerrancy" in regards to his critique of all other churches.
This should be easy.
Everything Danmark says after all is true. I know it's true because he told me so.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

tasteslikecorn
Student

Post #18

Post by tasteslikecorn »

[Replying to post 16 by Clownboat]

They most certainly are available...Deschuttes Brewery: Red Chair NWPA. I have a growler in the church's fridge available for all potential congregants.

tasteslikecorn
Student

Post #19

Post by tasteslikecorn »

[Replying to post 16 by Clownboat]

I will be collecting a list of potential congregants for the church's newsletter, tentatively titled "Our God is Much Bigger Than Yours, But Right Now is Too Busy to Appear in Person".

Wissing
Apprentice

Post #20

Post by Wissing »

[Replying to post 13 by Danmark]

As you say, one of our greatest challenges is to help the truly needy without increasing their dependency, and without giving an incentive to avoid work. I agree. So, then, why do you fault the church? Is it because they are giving too much to the poor directly? They are throwing too much money at people? According to the ECCU study you presented, the church allocates about 3% to "local and national benevolence". I suppose, in a perfect world, the church would be able to put all it's money towards root-level solutions to poverty, by serving to teach foundational values (Luke 6:46) , build community infrastructure (Acts 4:32), and encourage its members to love their neighbor (Matt. 22:36-40) and, above all, to love God, since all else hangs on that. But I do think that, practically speaking, the church must take care of the practical needs of people with at least a small portion of its resources, because if you are stuck in poverty, you're not thinking about root causes. The church, however, has a primary responsibility to strike at the core of the problem, not at the surface. The surface-level issues are delegated to non-profits that can specialize therein. For instance, the Salvation Army, a Christian organization, has a great many practical strategies of addressing poverty, and I think it is better suited to implement them than a regular church. Each part has its own role. The Church proper, where the preaching occurs, should keep to its God-given task.
If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be?
1 Corinthians 12

If you don't believe that the major work of the church (yes, even paying the pastors) does in fact serve the poor, I would very much like you to go through with this idea you have of starting a church. I hope this thread isn't just a mockery of the existing system - I hope you're serious. It's not enough to criticize somebody else's problem-solving strategy... you have to first show that you have a better solution.

Since your title says "Marx brother", I'm sure you're well aware of the attempts of the Russian atheist intellectuals to solve the problem of poverty in the last half of the 1800's and early 1900's. I don't think their strategy worked very well - and the worldview is to blame. As Nikolai Berdiaev put it,
The falsely directed love of man, it turned out, destroyed love of God, because love for the truth, like love for beauty or for any absolute value, is an expression of love for the Deity. This was a false love because it was not based on true respect for men as equals and kinsmen by their One Father. On the one hand, it was compassion and pity for the man of "the people", and on the other it turned into worship of man, and worship of the people. Genuine love for people is not love against truth and against God, but in truth and in God; it is not pity, which denies a person dignity, but recognition of God's own image in every human being.... But this attitude toward the peasantry and proletariat implied a lack of respect for the absolute significance of man, for this absolute significance is based on the divine and not on the human, on truth and not on interest.
-Berdiaev. Philosophical Verity and Intelligentsia Truth. from Vekhi. 1909. Translation originally serialized in Canadian Slavic Studies (1968-1971).

I hope your version of atheist church doesn't look like theirs.