"Burlesque Exuberance"

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

Haven
Guru

"Burlesque Exuberance"

Post #1

Post by Haven »

In a few recent posts, I was chided by another poster for my avatar and signature, which he described as "gaudy," "an eyesore," and, my favorite, a show of "burlesque exuberance."

While I'll admit that the latest incarnation of my avatar and signature image are creative, bright, and maybe a bit camp, I've never gotten comments from anyone else saying that they were distracting. Moderators have also commented that such displays are within the rules.

I'm starting this thread to start a discussion about the place of these kinds of images and displays on this forum. While this board is meant for "serious debate," in addition, I've always understood it as form of social media and a space for people to discuss issues, have fun, and express their personalities.

Do you think bright avatars, creative signatures, colored quotes, unique posting styles, and the like distract from this mission, or should they be welcomed as expressions of individuality? Would this forum be better if such things were banned?
♥ Haven (she/her) ♥
♥ Kindness is the greatest adventure ♥

wiploc
Guru

Re: "Burlesque Exuberance"

Post #2

Post by wiploc »

Haven wrote: In a few recent posts, I was chided by another poster for my avatar and signature, which he described as "gaudy," "an eyesore," and, my favorite, a show of "burlesque exuberance."
Thank you for that explanation. I had no idea what he was trying to say.

Do you think bright avatars, creative signatures, colored quotes, unique posting styles, and the like distract from this mission, or should they be welcomed as expressions of individuality? Would this forum be better if such things were banned?
What I mostly want is a lack of ambiguity. I never think that your signature is part of your post. That's a good thing.