ob/gyn and intelligent design

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Jax Agnesson
Guru

ob/gyn and intelligent design

Post #1

Post by Jax Agnesson »

Bible fundies have no possibility of fudging over this question. God says it straight out, (Genesis 3:16 ), 'I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children;'
That's straight, uncomplicated, uncontrovertible, and also (IMO) malicious, nasty and spiteful. But there we go.
Bible-God hates all women. An innocent little girl took a talking snake at his word, and from then on she, and all her daughters for thousands of years to come, have had to cope with a reproductive process that is agonising, dangerous, even very frequently lethal; as well as a monthly reminder involving cramps, mess, blood, discomfort, and sometimes very severe pain and depression.
So. Setting aside the Bible literalists, how do other theists support the idea that this means of reproducing God's children was intelligently designed?

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Re: ob/gyn and intelligent design

Post #21

Post by Zzyzx »

nothead wrote: PROVE IT emperically is the refrain of all atheists here, just generalizing...
What sort of non-empirical evidence SHOULD be accepted to show any claim true?

Are unverifiable stories adequate indication of truth? Are unverifiable testimonials sufficient? Opinions? Legends? Are unsupported claims of knowledge by others "proof?"

Would that sort of "evidence" would it take to convince you (or believers in general) that Quetzalcoatl is "the one true god?"

The answer to that question will shed light on what can be expected to convince "Atheists here" that you speak truth about a favorite god.
nothead wrote: ...lucky for you I don't come from common stock. Unique DNA have I, one in a billion or so...
That is an unusual claim to fame. EVERYONE has unique DNA excepting identical twins (as best we know). That is how corpses are forensically identified. If you are an exception, it would be appropriate to contact geneticists and advance their knowledge.
nothead wrote: The best evidence for Christianity is that the historical record en total given by the Bible shows Jesus to be a great liar or a great saint, the IKON for our salvation.
Agreed, the best evidence for Christianity is a collection of stories and opinions written by unidentified religion promoters who cannot be shown to have witnessed any of the events or conversations they describe – and who wrote decades or generations after the storied events.

That is the best evidence offered.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

nothead
Banned
Banned

Post #22

Post by nothead »

Zzyzx wrote: .
nothead wrote: PROVE IT emperically is the refrain of all atheists here, just generalizing...
Wow you stumped me man...should have been a LAB RAT and biologically argued you under the dirt...and got my LAB RAT degree which would be from a higher school than yours. Then everyone would agree I am the top LAB RAT among rats.

Higher degree, more smarts. More smarts, superior. Now my squeek shall be heard around the world.

What kinda evidence do you think? Song and dance. I'll SING for you bro, the wonders of the Living God. I'll DANCE for you, bro the Ballet of the Believer.

I'll speak in unintelligible TONGUES for you brah, that you might know the thoughts of the angels, I'll SQUIRM for you brother, make a movie and charge you less, although the popcorn is still 20...

What else? Oh the testimony of every individual in your life, that of Jesus in the Bible too. NO MAN comes to the Father except by (through) me. Wow the one verse that GOT ME thinking way back when.

Are unverifiable stories adequate indication of truth? Are unverifiable testimonials sufficient? Opinions? Legends? Are unsupported claims of knowledge by others "proof?"
No it ain't proof. What you think, God gives you TRUTH on a platter? That was John the Baptist's head. Don't eat it.
Would that sort of "evidence" would it take to convince you (or believers in general) that Quetzalcoatl is "the one true god?"
He stink. I smelled that one. Hey try out 2 or 3 major religions first. I did. I went through the hoops. You and yours don't have to? Yeth you do, yeth you do.
The answer to that question will shed light on what can be expected to convince "Atheists here" that you speak truth about a favorite god.
My God ain't the fav God of the masses. Don't put me in that hole. Thank you.

nothead wrote: ...lucky for you I don't come from common stock. Unique DNA have I, one in a billion or so...
That is an unusual claim to fame. EVERYONE has unique DNA excepting identical twins (as best we know). That is how corpses are forensically identified. If you are an exception, it would be appropriate to contact geneticists and advance their knowledge.
I grant you this. Nothead was wrong. Wonders...I did.
nothead wrote: The best evidence for Christianity is that the historical record en total given by the Bible shows Jesus to be a great liar or a great saint, the IKON for our salvation.
Agreed, the best evidence for Christianity is a collection of stories and opinions written by unidentified religion promoters who cannot be shown to have witnessed any of the events or conversations they describe – and who wrote decades or generations after the storied events.
You call them stories. I call Atheist stories stories. Fictional too. Like I said we all have our druthers. Who is to say who is right or wrong? Mahatma Ghandi? He dead, sorry.

That is the best evidence offered.
Some guy told me he was enlightened. So how do I know he right or wrong? Well, I looked at how he dressed and combed his hair.

Since he plucks his eyebrows I knew he a liar. How do YOU determine testimonies of humans, sir?

connermt
Banned
Banned

Post #23

Post by connermt »

[Replying to post 20 by 1213]
I didn’t find any scripture that supports it was for all women.
Does god hate ANY women? After all, you said 'all women' which seems to mean god does hat e some.... :-k

connermt
Banned
Banned

Post #24

Post by connermt »

[Replying to post 19 by nothead]
PROVE IT emperically is the refrain of all atheists here, just generalizing...
You made a claim here in that ALL THE ATHEISTS HERE do this. Can you prove, empirically, that every single atheists on this forum does what you claim? After all, you didn't say it was your BELIEF, but you stated it as a fact. Please provide evidence as they may all do that, but I don't know all of them so your insight to your fact would be appreciated
when we generalize we make a general foo' among the lot of us...
Not at all. So long as your statement is made with the express knowledge that its an assumption/generalization it's fine. What makes one a fool is when someone does what you just did above - making a statement of fact without supporting documentation.
...lucky for you I don't come from common stock.
How does that make me lucky? :confused2: Or am I supposed to be impressed? :confused2: :confused2:
so what is after all the purpose of haggling here online?
I've said why I'm here many times. So now, it's your turn
The best evidence for Christianity is that the historical record en total given by the Bible ...
You can only do what you can do. Garbage in garbage out, as the saying goes. To no fault of your own though - when you don't have a lot to work with you gotta' make due best you can. And with the bible, a book written by men, edited by other men, that contradicts itself....well... you have a daunting task ahead of you!
This WALL of either/or is the reality which faced me way back when I was a hippy dippy who thought everything was relative..
:tunedout:
...relative to belly buttons, our beans and our brains in our beans.
:drunk: ?

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #25

Post by Zzyzx »

nothead wrote:
Zzyzx wrote:
Wow you stumped me man...should have been a LAB RAT and biologically argued you under the dirt...and got my LAB RAT degree which would be from a higher school than yours. Then everyone would agree I am the top LAB RAT among rats.

Higher degree, more smarts. More smarts, superior. Now my squeek shall be heard around the world.

What kinda evidence do you think? Song and dance. I'll SING for you bro, the wonders of the Living God. I'll DANCE for you, bro the Ballet of the Believer.

I'll speak in unintelligible TONGUES for you brah, that you might know the thoughts of the angels, I'll SQUIRM for you brother, make a movie and charge you less, although the popcorn is still 20...
What, exactly, are all those foolish statements intended to convey?

I asked what sort of non-empirical evidence SHOULD be accepted. Can you answer the question (or would you prefer to continue to dance)?
nothead wrote: What else? Oh the testimony of every individual in your life,

Some individuals with whom I associate are Christians, others are not. Regardless of their theological position on matters of significance I verify what I am told before concluding it is true and accurate. People have been known to be wrong – inadvertently or otherwise.
nothead wrote: that of Jesus in the Bible too. NO MAN comes to the Father except by (through) me.
There are stories that Jesus said certain things. I ask 1) are those the exact words of Jesus, since they were written by unidentified people long after he died, and 2) if they were his words, or close, was he telling the truth?
nothead wrote: Wow the one verse that GOT ME thinking way back when.
It made me think too. It seemed like a rather grandiose claim. I wondered, even as a child, if it was true.
nothead wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: ]Are unverifiable stories adequate indication of truth? Are unverifiable testimonials sufficient? Opinions? Legends? Are unsupported claims of knowledge by others "proof?"
No it ain't proof.
Agreed
nothead wrote: What you think, God gives you TRUTH on a platter?
No, I have seen no indication that any of the proposed invisible, undetectable, supernatural entities have provided any evidence, answers or anything else in my life.

Thus, I conclude that there is NO proof (and no platter – just a lot of unverifiable stories) – nothing but stories and opinions.
nothead wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: Would that sort of "evidence" would it take to convince you (or believers in general) that Quetzalcoatl is "the one true god?"
He stink. I smelled that one. Hey try out 2 or 3 major religions first. I did. I went through the hoops. You and yours don't have to? Yeth you do, yeth you do.
Do you assume that non-religious people ("you and yours") have not investigated religions? Are you aware that some who debate here as Non-Theists are FORMER Theists – people who in some cases spent decades as true believers before concluding that it was false?
nothead wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: The answer to that question will shed light on what can be expected to convince "Atheists here" that you speak truth about a favorite god.
Do you have a favorite god? If so, that is the one to which the question refers.
nothead wrote:
Zzyzx wrote:
You call them stories.
Yes, I call them stories because that is what they are. Do you disagree? If so, on what grounds?
nothead wrote: I call Atheist stories stories. Fictional too.
To what "Atheist stories" do you refer?
nothead wrote: Like I said we all have our druthers. Who is to say who is right or wrong?
Many religionists posting here claim that they know TRUTH and everyone else is ignorant.
nothead wrote: Mahatma Ghandi? He dead, sorry.
Jesus? He dead, sorry.

Moses? He's dead too.

Some stories by religion promoters claim otherwise for one or both; however the stories cannot be shown to be true.
nothead wrote:
Zzyzx wrote:That is the best evidence offered.
Some guy told me he was enlightened. So how do I know he right or wrong? Well, I looked at how he dressed and combed his hair.

Since he plucks his eyebrows I knew he a liar.
It does not surprise me that you would make a decision on that basis.
nothead wrote: How do YOU determine testimonies of humans, sir?
I do not place much stock in testimonials. I ask for a way to check for myself regarding anything of significance. If claims cannot be verified as true, I do not accept them.

Many who would not believe a a car salesman without checking WILL believe a religion salesman without checking. Perhaps a vehicle is more important than religion?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

nothead
Banned
Banned

Post #26

Post by nothead »

connermt wrote: [Replying to post 19 by nothead]
PROVE IT emperically is the refrain of all atheists here, just generalizing...
You made a claim here in that ALL THE ATHEISTS HERE do this. Can you prove, empirically, that every single atheists on this forum does what you claim? After all, you didn't say it was your BELIEF, but you stated it as a fact. Please provide evidence as they may all do that, but I don't know all of them so your insight to your fact would be appreciated

You sound like a lawyer. Like to nit-pick? You know what that means? Well...in the old days they picked the nits out of each other's hair. This was becuz they had head lice and such, and no head lice remover short of burning the house down worked.

You could put your head under kerosene, but this wasn't the healthiest trick in the book.

So I digress...so then you know what NITPICKING means sir? Don't get hung up on absolutes, which is a FUNDIE form, get it? FUNDIES like ME like to do this. So don't, please. I just meant I have been irritated by this PROVE IT jive, over and over.

And over and over. Nothing is PROVEN here except my natural good looks.

when we generalize we make a general foo' among the lot of us...
Not at all. So long as your statement is made with the express knowledge that its an assumption/generalization it's fine. What makes one a fool is when someone does what you just did above - making a statement of fact without supporting documentation.
The wise one is supporting documentation among his lonesome. Words to the wise, sir.

Wise is like a box of chocolates. I have had my fill, thank you.

...lucky for you I don't come from common stock.
How does that make me lucky? :confused2: Or am I supposed to be impressed? :confused2: :confused2:
You supposed to laugh that ole belly laugh. NOT? Why, my jokes are as good as Gomers....

Who Gomer? You don't know? Why I gotta TELL you everything?

so what is after all the purpose of haggling here online?
I've said why I'm here many times. So now, it's your turn
Oooo now I gotta go look back all your posts sir, to find it. I'll do it. I'll do it. And then have my people call yours....

The best evidence for Christianity is that the historical record en total given by the Bible ...
You can only do what you can do. Garbage in garbage out, as the saying goes. To no fault of your own though - when you don't have a lot to work with you gotta' make due best you can. And with the bible, a book written by men, edited by other men, that contradicts itself....well... you have a daunting task ahead of you!
Put down my fave book. Don't think I'm gonna ask you for a book report. On that one, anyway.

Hooo booo. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Lettuce go on with this scintillating convo, sir. I luuuuuv to gab over nothin,' nothin' atall.

This WALL of either/or is the reality which faced me way back when I was a hippy dippy who thought everything was relative..
:tunedout:
...relative to belly buttons, our beans and our brains in our beans.
:drunk: ?
Everyone has an opinion, just like a belly button. An inside joke, and an INNY joke for those with superior innies.

There I outed my innie. Want any MORE secrets?

connermt
Banned
Banned

Post #27

Post by connermt »

[Replying to post 26 by nothead]

I enjoyed your post :lol:
Even with a headache I still smiled - keep 'em comin'!!
:thumb:

nothead
Banned
Banned

Post #28

Post by nothead »

What, exactly, are all those foolish statements intended to convey?
[/quote]

Em you got yo' mod cap on or not? I see trouble ahead. Why again should I now answer the man

1) who just said I am full of foolish statements? I PLANNED for you to convert to Christianity on the spot. Why did you not? NOW I'm trouble coming to town in a nutshell. Like banned, slammed and no thank you mammed.

I asked what sort of non-empirical evidence SHOULD be accepted. Can you answer the question (or would you prefer to continue to dance)?
You know there ain't any. Um the opposable thumb argument? That's as close to an EMPIRICAL argument nothead can give.

Can I stay on? Huh, sir? Forgive me sir? Ooooo. Sorry, wrong mod. You don't believe in forgiveness? Sorry sir.
nothead wrote: What else? Oh the testimony of every individual in your life,

Some individuals with whom I associate are Christians, others are not. Regardless of their theological position on matters of significance I verify what I am told before concluding it is true and accurate. People have been known to be wrong – inadvertently or otherwise.
Very true. I once followed a guru who insisted upon total celibacy. Turns out he was screwing more than several secretaries, plus on the rare occasion his wife. The former clause being hypocritical.
nothead wrote: that of Jesus in the Bible too. NO MAN comes to the Father except by (through) me.
There are stories that Jesus said certain things. I ask 1) are those the exact words of Jesus, since they were written by unidentified people long after he died, and 2) if they were his words, or close, was he telling the truth?

Well, these are all good questions, sir, for 101 students of Christianity. Take the class. Make your determination. I won't grade you, but the Teacher in the Sky might.

nothead wrote: Wow the one verse that GOT ME thinking way back when.
It made me think too. It seemed like a rather grandiose claim. I wondered, even as a child, if it was true.
Yeah I think it is. But don't mind me, I'm not even here. If you got your mod cap on, that is.

nothead wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: ]Are unverifiable stories adequate indication of truth? Are unverifiable testimonials sufficient? Opinions? Legends? Are unsupported claims of knowledge by others "proof?"
No it ain't proof.
Agreed
Oh YOU the one who keep insisting on empirical data/i.e. proof of the verifiable kine. Why looky here, Commernent. He the one keeps bugging me with this one.
nothead wrote: What you think, God gives you TRUTH on a platter?
No, I have seen no indication that any of the proposed invisible, undetectable, supernatural entities have provided any evidence, answers or anything else in my life.
See the spiritual seeing of the seer who sees...the nirvanaad enlightened one...that will be nothead to you, sir.

Om mani padme hum. Yeah that's it, sing it. Oh what forum are we on?

Thus, I conclude that there is NO proof (and no platter – just a lot of unverifiable stories) – nothing but stories and opinions.
What an optimist. Hey if the glass is half full you would say there's no evidence it got nothing inside at all. Not even air. Not even a vacuum. Not even nothing which is a thought at least.
nothead wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: Would that sort of "evidence" would it take to convince you (or believers in general) that Quetzalcoatl is "the one true god?"
Do you assume that non-religious people ("you and yours") have not investigated religions? Are you aware that some who debate here as Non-Theists are FORMER Theists – people who in some cases spent decades as true believers before concluding that it was false?
You ain't stomped the swamps nothead stomped, or gone down the sultry alleyways of the damned like he did, or experimented with mantras and yogas and sherpas and photos starin' back at you from guru eyeballs and such...

...I have my experiences you have yours. But one of us is more right on than the other. I say my heepy deepy shenanigans go for more. I been to the ends of the universe, partied with imaginary girls you would not believe...kicked the soccerball of life until it was flat, been a drug addick and mental case before you...oh right.

You got your mod cap on. Sorry I digressed.

nothead wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: The answer to that question will shed light on what can be expected to convince "Atheists here" that you speak truth about a favorite god.
If I tried to convince you isn't this JUST WHAT a dimwit fundie will naturally do? And then aren't they given the BOOT after being enticed into breaking on of the laws on this forum. Ain't you goading me sir? I convince you NOT. I am a whatchamacallit, a POG, a FROG I mean a FROD, or a guy PRETENDING to be a fundie so you all can laugh at us, I mean them.

Do you have a favorite god? If so, that is the one to which the question refers.
There is One God, YHWH Elohim is His name. Don't ask me to pronounce His name. But that is what it is, forever and a memorial to all generations.
nothead wrote:
Zzyzx wrote:
You call them stories.
Yes, I call them stories because that is what they are. Do you disagree? If so, on what grounds?
Jesus himself said "the scripture cannot be broken." True I believe. Again, he is a liar or a saint, no in between, hardly not, probably not and I think not.
nothead wrote: I call Atheist stories stories. Fictional too.
To what "Atheist stories" do you refer?
Um the one which ends as such: They is no God. Meaning in less redneck lingo:"There is no God." Actually that was the beginning too.

nothead wrote: Like I said we all have our druthers. Who is to say who is right or wrong?
Many religionists posting here claim that they know TRUTH and everyone else is ignorant.
nothead wrote: Mahatma Ghandi? He dead, sorry.
Jesus? He dead, sorry.

Moses? He's dead too.
Me dead too, soon enough. You dead too, sooner than you want, maybe not.

Bugs dead too, must we go on? I am bored.
Some stories by religion promoters claim otherwise for one or both; however the stories cannot be shown to be true.
nothead wrote:
Zzyzx wrote:That is the best evidence offered.

Since he plucks his eyebrows I knew he a liar.
It does not surprise me that you would make a decision on that basis.
Oh you make jokes too? Does this mean you took your mod cap off?
nothead wrote: How do YOU determine testimonies of humans, sir?
I do not place much stock in testimonials. I ask for a way to check for myself regarding anything of significance. If claims cannot be verified as true, I do not accept them.
Never met a holy man have you? Good going...19 out of 20 are full of it. What I cannot say. Might get the final boot and these normally don't feel too good.

But once in a blue moon some guy will say something quite striking. God only says to knock, not how hard and which door to start. Like you can make a lot of mistakes and STILL end up getting your answer. Word to the wise. Ching, the sound of spiritual money in your bean. Pearl of Great Price, yeah.

Many who would not believe a a car salesman without checking WILL believe a religion salesman without checking. Perhaps a vehicle is more important than religion?
Positive attitude, don't give up. I encourage you.

Jax Agnesson
Guru

Post #29

Post by Jax Agnesson »

connermt wrote:
[Replying to post 20 by 1213]
I didn’t find any scripture that supports it was for all women.
Does god hate ANY women? After all, you said 'all women' which seems to mean god does hat e some.... :-k

Looking across the spectrum of God-descriptions, from the Bible literalist to the most abstract ID theorist, it is apparent the the God of the Christians is at least indifferent to the suffering of all women.
Bible-God is very straightforward about it; he was annoyed at Eve for making an innocent mistake, and in his annoyance he cursed not only that rather simple-minded girl but all her future daughters.
At the other end of the theist spectrum, the supposed designer of the all the most wonderful, subtle, complex and beautiful structures in nature seems to have completely botched the human female reproductive system.
This looks like indifference at the very least, if not deliberate malice; but certainly it doesn't look like the product of a loving, attentive intelligence.

dianaiad
Site Supporter

Post #30

Post by dianaiad »

nothead wrote: ...
Everyone has an opinion, just like a belly button. An inside joke, and an INNY joke for those with superior innies.

There I outed my innie. Want any MORE secrets?
:warning: Moderator Warning
This entire post is nothing but personal insults and sniping. Address the content of the post. Do not make personal remarks or mocking comments about the writers of the post. The rules of this forum exist for a reason. Read them.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.