Is Western civilization based on Judeo-Christian values?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Is Western civilization based on Judeo-Christian values?

Post #1

Post by McCulloch »

WinePusher wrote:The United States is implicitly Christian, not explicitly Christian. These are two different concepts that both theists and nontheists have a hard time understanding. The United States, and all of western culture, is based upon Judeo-Christian values and virtues and Christianity in particular has played a vital role in the history of the west, far more than any other religion or philosophy has. Had Islamic expansion into Europe been more successful during the Middle Ages the United States and the rest of the west would probably be implicitly and explicitly Islamic.
Is the United States based on Judeo-Christian values? Is Western culture based on Judeo-Christian values?

What are Judeo-Christian values? Specifically, which Judeo-Christian values is Western civilization built on?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Strider324
Banned
Banned

Post #21

Post by Strider324 »

zeromeansnothing wrote: Strider324 :The carnage, rape and pillaging sanctioned by bible god kinda makes British colonialism appear quite tame.

This statement is just factually ''untrue'' A small nomadic tribe, running the gauntlet with its more powerful neighbours is hardly comparable to a super power that colonized in five continents through military ingenuity and extreme and relentless cruelty to its enemies and it's own sub classes. We can play a game of 'who is the worst' but you haven't a chance.

Cool. Please cite the evidence where Britain called for the murder of all non-virgin women along with their children and the use of all virgin women as sex slaves.
"Do Good for Good is Good to do. Spurn Bribe of Heaven and Threat of Hell"
- The Kasidah of Haji abdu al-Yezdi

zeromeansnothing

Post #22

Post by zeromeansnothing »

hi Strider324, I give you The African Holocaust

The Atlantic slave traders, ordered by trade volume, were: the Portuguese, the British, the French, the Spanish, the Dutch Empire, and the United States. They had established outposts on the African coast where they purchased slaves from local African tribal leaders.Current estimates are that about 12 million Africans were shipped across the Atlantic, although the number purchased by the traders is considerably higher................................
It is estimated that more than half of the entire slave trade took place during the 18th century, with the British, Portuguese and French being the main carriers of nine out of ten slaves abducted from Africa. By the 1690s, the English were shipping the most slaves from West Africa. They maintained this position during the 18th century, becoming the biggest shippers of slaves across the Atlantic

As Britain rose in naval power and settled continental North America and some islands of the West Indies, they became the leading slave traders.......

How much stuff do you want Strider324????

zeromeansnothing

Post #23

DanieltheDragon:One thing is clear you have yet to establish which judeo-christian values are the founding principles upon which modern western civilization is built.

DTD, read my posts.

I do not even think that these values exist at all and I have asked McCulloch to explain them to me. ie post 13

Hi McCulloch, Judeo-Christian values
Do you mean, ---what is common to both ----what emerged after both ----the totality of both

I believe that such an entity does not in actuality exist, ie something that Judaism and Christianity agree upon that is not common to elsewhere. I'm stumped.??

Strider324
Banned
Banned

Post #24

Post by Strider324 »

zeromeansnothing wrote: hi Strider324, I give you The African Holocaust

The Atlantic slave traders, ordered by trade volume, were: the Portuguese, the British, the French, the Spanish, the Dutch Empire, and the United States. They had established outposts on the African coast where they purchased slaves from local African tribal leaders.Current estimates are that about 12 million Africans were shipped across the Atlantic, although the number purchased by the traders is considerably higher................................
It is estimated that more than half of the entire slave trade took place during the 18th century, with the British, Portuguese and French being the main carriers of nine out of ten slaves abducted from Africa. By the 1690s, the English were shipping the most slaves from West Africa. They maintained this position during the 18th century, becoming the biggest shippers of slaves across the Atlantic

As Britain rose in naval power and settled continental North America and some islands of the West Indies, they became the leading slave traders.......

How much stuff do you want Strider324????
Well, how about stuff that I asked for. Let me repeat it - please show any evidence of British mandated murder of women and children, and the taking of virgin women to be abused as sex slaves.

Presenting the well-known evidence that Europeans honored biblical values by participating in slavery hardly helps your case.
8-)

zeromeansnothing

Post #25

Strider324: Let me repeat it - please show any evidence of British mandated murder of women and children, and the taking of virgin women to be abused as sex slaves.

zero:Let me repeat it - The Atlantic slave traders, ordered by trade volume, were: the Portuguese, the British, the French, the Spanish, the Dutch Empire, and the United States. They had established outposts on the African coast where they purchased slaves from local African tribal leaders.Current estimates are that about 12 million Africans were shipped across the Atlantic, although the number purchased by the traders is considerably higher................................

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #26

Post by DanieltheDragon »

[Replying to post 23 by zeromeansnothing]

I see.

You are right in the sense that the term is still relatively new and that the term was not around during the formation of what we know as western civilization.

One who would argue that The US for example is based on these values is simply asserting that the founding fathers based our government off of biblical principles like the golden rule ten commandments etc.

I would assert that this is false as the basis for the US government is founded on things like the rule of law due process liberty and democracy. Which have its origins in greek and roman culture.

cnorman18

Post #27

Post by cnorman18 »

I feel compelled to toss in a remark purportedly once made by Mahatma Gandhi, in answer to the question, "What do you think of Western civilization?"

He replied, "What a WONDERFUL idea!"

Strider324
Banned
Banned

Post #28

Post by Strider324 »

zeromeansnothing wrote: Strider324: Let me repeat it - please show any evidence of British mandated murder of women and children, and the taking of virgin women to be abused as sex slaves.

zero:Let me repeat it - The Atlantic slave traders, ordered by trade volume, were: the Portuguese, the British, the French, the Spanish, the Dutch Empire, and the United States. They had established outposts on the African coast where they purchased slaves from local African tribal leaders.Current estimates are that about 12 million Africans were shipped across the Atlantic, although the number purchased by the traders is considerably higher................................

So, you cannot provide evidence of the murder of women and children, or the sexual slavery of virgins, by either the British, Portuguese OR the French - so you were just bloviating when you implied that their cruelty in any way matched that committed under Moses.

Got it.