Brainwashing

Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

puddleglum
Sage

Brainwashing

Post #1

Post by puddleglum »

God commands parents to teach their children the Bible.
And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.
Deuteronomy 6:6-7 ESV
There are people who don’t believe the Bible and don’t think it should be taught to children. Some claim that parents who teach their children the Bible are brainwashing them. Those who make this claim are right; teaching children the Bible is brainwashing them.
Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her ,having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word.
Ephesians 5:25-26 ESV
One effect of the word of God is to wash things.

We live in a world that is filled with physical dirt of many kinds and children can’t help being exposed to it. Parents need to make sure their children’s bodies are cleaned with water when they become dirty.

The world is also filled with moral and spiritual dirt and children’s brains become filled with temptations and false beliefs. Good parents not only make sure their children’s bodies are kept clean but also teach them the Bible so that their minds and brains will be clean.

Children aren’t the only ones who need to be brainwashed. Adults are also affected by the moral climate in which we live. I have found that to counteract the effects of this environment I need to spend time every day brainwashing myself by studying the Bible.
His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV

Elijah John
Savant

Re: Brainwashing

Post #2

Post by Elijah John »

[Replying to post 1 by theophilus40]

Interesting take on the word "brainwashing" I would agree that there is a necessity for eveyone to refresh their minds, as that is part of loving God with all or our minds as well as all our hearts, soul and stregnth.

Or in the words of James, true religion is to help widows and orphans, and remain uncontaminated by the world, or words to that effect.

Regarding indocrination, I think there is a difference between teaching kids good moral values and theaching them specific theology. I advocate the former, have doubts as to how to proceed with the latter.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

puddleglum
Sage

Re: Brainwashing

Post #3

Post by puddleglum »

Elijah John wrote: Regarding indoctrination, I think there is a difference between teaching kids good moral values and teaching them specific theology. I advocate the former, have doubts as to how to proceed with the latter.
If your moral values are based on the Bible it is impossible to separate the two. Things are right or wrong because God says they are and what he says is based on his character.

We are commanded to always do what is good for others but there are times when a knowledge of theology is necessary to know what is good. Here is one example. Some people believe that repenting and putting your faith in Christ is necessary for salvation and some believe that it isn't. If it is then the way to do good for others is to tell them this. If it isn't, then telling them they need to believe in Jesus may be hurting them. Just knowing we should help people doesn't do much good unless we know what action will be helpful.
His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV