Atheist group

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

Abs like J'
Student

Atheist group

Post #1

Post by Abs like J' »

:idea: Taken as constructed, a-theism is "without belief in god(s)." Other definitions include "the doctrine that there is no deity," and when referring to the term atheist, "one who denies the existence of god." I choose to adhere to the definition as given by the construction of the word. In any case, the group description here of God is dead is misleading.

Those without a belief in god(s), those with a doctrine that there is no deity and those who deny the existence of god(s) could not reasonably assert that an entity which they hold to have never existed is dead. I submit that the group description of atheists here be adjusted. I feel the first definition following the etymology of the word is the most apt description, but certainly any of the others would be more honest than the one currently in use.
"Art, music, and philosophy are merely poignant examples of what we might have been had not the priests and traders gotten hold of us."
— George Carlin

otseng
Savant

Post #2

Post by otseng »

I'm open to any suggestions.

Cyan

Post #3

Post by Cyan »

Because atheism is not a specific belief system, why not just use the description atheist and allow each individual to define what that means to them through their posts?

Personally, I find the "God is Dead" description to be rather offensive, because I don't believe that there ever was a god, but if there was I certainly wouldn't be so tactless to say that s/he was dead. That would be inflammatory and hurtful to those who do believe. Definitely not my style.

otseng
Savant

Post #4

Post by otseng »

Just to clarify, it wasn't my intention to be offensive by using "God is dead". Nor to make any presuppositions that God was once alive and has died. Anyways, I've modified the description to just say, "atheist".

Cyan

Post #5

Post by Cyan »

I know you weren't trying to be offensive, Otseng. You are always highly civilized. :)

Probably some atheists would not be offended by the title. I just wanted to share my perspective.