Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

wiploc
Guru

Challenge: One liners can be good.

Post #1

Post by wiploc »

I got a moderator comment because I said "Point taken."

I was conceding an argument. I could have instead said, "Point taken. You win. I was wrong. I concede." That would have been puffing, not useful, non-productive, a waste of pixels and time.

I think conceding a line of argument should be possible. We needn't leave people up in the air as to whether their case has been read and understood. But we shouldn't be required to put our concessions into a minimum number of lines.

-

On the other hand, the chastisement was just a moderator comment, barely a wrist slap. So I don't want to put anybody to the work of researching the situation, inventing a new rule, hashing out differences of opinions backstage, and publicly announcing a tweak, just to come up with a slightly modified rule that someone else will challenge.

Tell you what, then: I'll be happy if a moderator posts a one-line response, something like, "There may be something in what you say."

:D

Relevant link: http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 783&lofi=1

(I don't know how to link an individual post.)

Wootah
Savant

Post #2

Post by Wootah »

Well yours is a bit different. You aren't saying 'I agree' you are saying point taken.

I would really rather see someone who agrees with someone else and wants to make it known give a points donation. However you only got a comment which does not count as a mark against you and that comment only happened because someone read your post and felt it violated the one liner rule.

Ie: they were reading the thread and felt your copying of the post and reply were not necessary to the debate.

Perhaps a PM to the other person would work in your situation?

Perhaps just appreciate the intended goal of the rule which is to keep threads on track?

I'm not sure I want to have to judge on whether semantically someone is saying I agree or point taken.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

otseng
Savant

Post #3

Post by otseng »

Just a note. Technically, one-liners are not against the rules, but only non-constructive one-liners.

9. No unconstructive one-liners posts are allowed in debates (Do not simply say "Ditto" or "I disagree" in a post. Such posts add little value to debates).

I just made a one-liner post:
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 268#675268
(Hopefully nobody will report it...)

It's a bit of a subjective call on determining if a one-liner is actually constructive or not. That is why rarely will a warning be given for one, but usually a comment is issued.

In your post, I could go either with just clearing the report or a comment.

BTW, to find the link to a post, click on the Image icon in the top left of the post.

wiploc
Guru

Post #4

Post by wiploc »

Thanks, both of you. I'm happy with the situation now. There's no need for any remedial action, or for any more effort to be put into this thread.

This is a well-run board.