Christian utopias

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Christian utopias

Post #1

Post by DanieltheDragon »

Come to think of it, have their been ANY atheist utopias? Any that have been successful and non-violent either in their inception or their governance?
This was a charge thrown at atheist utopias. I am not sure what an atheist Utopia is but I would conclude that any country that has a significant portion of its population as non-religious fits that description closely enough. After all as an atheist reason and logic are very important traits and any government associated with atheism therefore I would conclude would value freedom of religion so it would be expected that an atheist utopia would still have some religious individuals as freedom of religion is an important trait based on reason and logic.

That being said.

Have any Christian Utopias been successful and non-violent either in their inception or their governance?

I can think of two countries that are non-violent

Japan

Sweden

both are bound not to go to war.

I cannot think of a single christian country that fits that description? Wait there are a few city states like

Malta so we have malta anything else?

Savant

Re: Christian utopias

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

DanieltheDragon wrote: Have any Christian Utopias been successful and non-violent either in their inception or their governance?
Do you think God’s Kingdom as Christian thing? If so, then I think that is Christian "utopia", which is successful and non-violent. It has spread all over this world, and God haters can’t destroy it.

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #3

[Replying to post 2 by 1213]

Can you prove such a thing exists?

As to god haters are these people who believe in god but hate god? If so that means that only Muslims and Jewish people hate your "god".

As to its destruction your right I have no idea how to destroy an imaginary thing. Not sure why I would want to do you?

Elijah John
Savant

Post #4

Post by Elijah John »

To address the OP, I will readily admit that religous "utopias" have failed as well. It was tried in the Massachusetts Bay and Plymouth colonies most recently by the Puritans and Pilgrims, but both of those experements weren't all that sucessful, both had to go to war with the Indians, (King Phillips war) and practiced presecutions against peacefull Quakers (hanged on Boston Common) and in the case of Roger Williams, exiled to what became Rhode Island. Not to mention the "witch" hangings in Salem and Salem Village, and Danvers.

Muslim theocracies...nowadays are horrible by and large, not good for human rights to say the least. I suppose there was a time in the Middle ages when they were more humane, and protected Jews from Christian persecution.

But the point of the observation I made (that you used for your OP) and that Diana also alluded to, is that secular, and atheistic governments have not fared much better.

We humans, no matter what our religous or non religious beliefs, have a lot of work to do if we aspire to achieve utopia on earth.

But maybe, only in the Kingdom of God that Jesus envisioned, whatever exactly that may mean.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Zzyzx »

Elijah John wrote: To address the OP, I will readily admit that religous "utopias" have failed as well.
It appears to me as though attempted "utopias" fail PERIOD -- regardless of their theological (or absence thereof) underpinnings.

It also appears to me as though religious attempts are often more disastrous and damaging failures than secular "utopia" plans. Perhaps that is due to theocracy being involved in religious attempts (and theocracy seems to be the worst form of government -- as indicated by current Middle East conditions and Dark Ages European conditions).
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #6

[Replying to Elijah John]

I keep hearing about this kingdom of God thing what s your best description of such a thing? Otherwise I just don't see it's value in debate.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From the OP:

Christian utopia?

Don't they call that Heaven?

About the same chance as there being one or the other.

So close to zero, zero couldn't change his clothes without you knowing what pair of underbritches his momma done set out.

There's no utopia where folks're bound to someone else's notion of what it is God wants you to do, or to keep from it.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Wordleymaster1
Apprentice

Post #8

Post by Wordleymaster1 »

DanieltheDragon wrote:
Come to think of it, have their been ANY atheist utopias? Any that have been successful and non-violent either in their inception or their governance?
This was a charge thrown at atheist utopias. I am not sure what an atheist Utopia is but I would conclude that any country that has a significant portion of its population as non-religious fits that description closely enough. After all as an atheist reason and logic are very important traits and any government associated with atheism therefore I would conclude would value freedom of religion so it would be expected that an atheist utopia would still have some religious individuals as freedom of religion is an important trait based on reason and logic.

That being said.

Have any Christian Utopias been successful and non-violent either in their inception or their governance?

I can think of two countries that are non-violent

Japan

Sweden

both are bound not to go to war.

I cannot think of a single christian country that fits that description? Wait there are a few city states like

Malta so we have malta anything else?
I would think hypothetically a Christian Utopia would be one willed with sinners since their job is to worship God and win souls for Him. That way they'd be serving God and living the life He's chosen for them.

Savant

Post #9

Post by 1213 »

DanieltheDragon wrote: Can you prove such a thing exists?
Kingdom is form of government that is ruled by king. Jesus is my King and I want to live as he taught. And because I believe Jesus taught as God had commanded him (John 12:49-50), God is really my king, because to his words I want to be loyal. So I think I am part of God’s kingdom. I think I exist, so in my opinion also God’s kingdom exists.
DanieltheDragon wrote:As to god haters are these people who believe in god but hate god?
I think God haters are all those who don’t love him. Love is seen by that person doesn’t want to do anything wrong to other, for example lie. And it seems to me that many God haters can be recognized by that they lie about God and what is said in the Bible. (Even fictional person could be loved. And it would mean that one don’t want that person to be treated unjustly).

Clownboat
Savant

Post #10

Post by Clownboat »

I think God haters are all those who don’t love him.

Personally, I must reject your definition of a "God hater" for finding it ludicrous.

You see, while I may not love the guy down the street (hardly know him), I find the notion that I must then hate him to not reflect reality. Why, because I don't hate him.

Atheists do not love any god concepts for example and you would be going to far to call someone that doesn't believe in a specific god concept a hater of said concept because you cannot hate something that you don't believe is real. (Hating the idea of Santa is possible for example, but hating an actual Santa is not possible. I make this claim under the assumption that you do not believe that Santa Claus is real).

Perhaps you are referring to some kind of pretend hatred? I could pretend to hate unicorns, but that hate would not be real.

You don't really think that people that view your god like they view Zeus would foster any real hate do you?
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb