Why is it wrong for a human to want to be God?

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

lostguest
Student

Why is it wrong for a human to want to be God?

Post #1

Post by lostguest »

Good parents always want their children to eventually do better than they did and surpass them in every possible way. God is the only supposedly "good father" who specifically wants his "children" to remain in an eternal state of subordination and inferiority to himself. Would you consider a human parent a good parent if he had such expectations from his children?
Instead of creating humans in his image, why didn't he just create clones of himself? Is God intimidated by the existence of other beings like himself?

Neatras
Guru

Post #11

Post by Neatras »

Elijah John
Savant

Post #12

Post by Elijah John »

Neatras wrote: Image
Moderator Comment

Please do not post images without comment. Sometimes pictures and cartoons speak for themselves, sometimes they do not. In either case, please add a comment to demonstrate HOW the image relates to the OP. Otherwise it can be considered spam.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

lostguest
Student

Re: Why is it wrong for a human to want to be God?

Post #13

Post by lostguest »

[Replying to post 10 by ttruscott]
Does it matter if a dog wants to be human? Not a bit and good luck to him but it is impossible. What is against the law is to abrogate the powers, on earth, of GOD, life and death and declarations of perfect judgment, etc. which only gets us into evil.
Maybe you are happy aspiring to be someone's pet for eternity. If that makes you happy then good for you.
What you seem to forget is the fact that in the case of humans, God has the power to make us at least equal to himself but chooses to forever keep us way below himself.
Just as I hope my children will someday do much better than I ever did, if I could somehow make my dog be at the same level as me I would do it. Of course I'm not sure my dog would want to be a human considering the fact that it has a pretty easy life. But the idea of comparing a human wanting to be God to a dog wanting to be a human is pretty silly since other than having a higher intelligence capacity, humans and dogs aren't all that different to each other and in many areas dogs even have advantages over humans.

Wissing
Apprentice

Post #14

Post by Wissing »

Hello lostguest,

I am very happy to be an eternal subordinate of God. I do not believe that I could run the world. I do not believe that I can resolve poverty, or fix the economy, or obey all the laws. Managing a branch of a small non-profit organization was enough to tell me that. I do not fully understand God, but then, I fully understand nothing else either. I have very limited knowledge, but it's okay, because I also have a very small impact. But what small impact I can have is more than enough to fill up all the time in my life.

So why would you want to be greater than God in the first place? Do you think you could handle that responsibility? If so, I am very interested to hear more, because I've met many struggling people, and I'd like to hear your ideas on how to resolve their problems.

ten10ths
Banned
Banned

Post #15

Post by ten10ths »

lostguest wrote: Good parents always want their children to eventually do better than they did and surpass them in every possible way. God is the only supposedly "good father" who specifically wants his "children" to remain in an eternal state of subordination and inferiority to himself. Would you consider a human parent a good parent if he had such expectations from his children?
Instead of creating humans in his image, why didn't he just create clones of himself? Is God intimidated by the existence of other beings like himself?
I don't think the comparison of God to a parent is a good one. God and people can't be accurately compared.
But if we must compare the two, God is NOT a good parent. A good parent doesn't kill their children when they disobey and ignore them, which is what God did in the bible on more than one occasion.

Wynda

Post #16

Post by Wynda »

lostguest wrote: Good parents always want their children to eventually do better than they did and surpass them in every possible way. God is the only supposedly "good father" who specifically wants his "children" to remain in an eternal state of subordination and inferiority to himself. Would you consider a human parent a good parent if he had such expectations from his children?
There's nothing wrong with wanting to be like God; what is wrong is to desire God's authority, which we do not deserve and have no rights to. The sense in which the Church of the East seeks union with God, it seems to me, is not the impious striving after autodeism but rather a desire to emulate and be joined to Christ in the body of His church (I am not a member of the Assyrian Church, that's just how I read their theology). So it's really more that when people 'want to be God' what they really want is to put themselves up as immune to his sovereignty and project their sinful delusions as equivalent to the perfection and justice of God.

Jashwell
Guru

Post #17

Post by Jashwell »

[Replying to post 16 by Wynda]

What authority?
As far as I'm aware, God has literally no authority. No job, public or private, no qualifications, no public position.
He doesn't even have citizenship anywhere... nor is he a human or animal, so he currently has no legal rights either.
The churches and individual believers would still do what they do... regardless of his existence. As shown by the sheer quantity of different churches.
So one way or another, if he does exist, his influence over 'his own followers' is exactly the same as other "fictional" Gods
(as not every church & believer can be correct about God at the same time, but they do all continue to believe).
What authority does God have?

@Anyone who thinks there's something else wrong with "wanting to be God"
Is there anything wrong with wanting to be stronger?
Is there a boundary at which it becomes wrong?

Is there anything wrong with wanting to live longer?
Is there a boundary at which it becomes wrong?

Etc.
Last edited by Jashwell on Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wordleymaster1
Apprentice

Post #18

Post by Wordleymaster1 »

Wynda wrote:
There's nothing wrong with wanting to be like God; what is wrong is to desire God's authority, which we do not deserve and have no rights to. The sense in which the Church of the East seeks union with God, it seems to me, is not the impious striving after autodeism but rather a desire to emulate and be joined to Christ in the body of His church (I am not a member of the Assyrian Church, that's just how I read their theology). So it's really more that when people 'want to be God' what they really want is to put themselves up as immune to his sovereignty and project their sinful delusions as equivalent to the perfection and justice of God.
Taking the large assumption that God has authority, why are we not deserve it? I see HUMANS working to provide food for their family, helping others, giving $ - some of it even to their God's own needs - so why don't we deserve it?
We do the same type of things that are attributed to God: we create and destroy. The only REAL difference is that we can pinpoint what WE do, but we can't what God's said to so.
To me, that qualifies us more so than God.

Donald
Student

Post #19

Post by Donald »

"Good parents always want their children to eventually do better than they did and surpass them in every possible way. God is the only supposedly "good father" who specifically wants his "children" to remain in an eternal state of subordination and inferiority to himself. Would you consider a human parent a good parent if he had such expectations from his children?

God expects His children to act perfect in the Image of Jesus. But to be Him is difficult and rare. I would not say subordination or inferiority because that sounds too harsh. We are children of God call to act perfect. "Be like Him" NOT" Be Him.
God is not intimidated if others act as "god" because He Knows He is GOD over all humans.

How I interpret life and how I live makes it seem that I act as god, but I am not GOD because GOD is a Spirit. No one can see GOD because their eyes will be burned if they try. We can see Jesus because He lived as The Man Of God, who is both human and divine. GOD is not controlled by time and space, like we human are. GOD has no beginning or end, like humans do.

Peds nurse
Site Supporter

Post #20

Post by Peds nurse »

[Replying to post 15 by ten10ths]

As a parent myself, I do want my children to prosper and do well. I would even say that I would encourage them to surpass my own standards and success. This being said, regardless of the goals and success that my children reach, they can never be the parent. They will forever be my children.