Christians' feelings hurt

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wordleymaster1
Apprentice

Christians' feelings hurt

Post #1

Post by Wordleymaster1 »

I'm relatively new here but even so, I've noticed many people seem to get their feelings hurt SUPER easily. Most of these people have been self ID'd as Christian.
I've noticed while I was a Christian as well as now that Christians tend to be able to get away with saying a lot of smack about other groups but when someone says smack about them, they scream and cry louder than a woman in childbirth!
It seems that, as Christians, many get upset over things WAY more easily and faster than before they were a Christian.
Do you see this to be true?
Can you give examples either way?
Does becoming a Christian, which is a very emotional affair, create a super-sensitive person, or is it that tyically only super-sensitive people BECOME Christian?

Clownboat
Savant

Re: Christians' feelings hurt

Post #2

Post by Clownboat »

Wordleymaster1 wrote: I'm relatively new here but even so, I've noticed many people seem to get their feelings hurt SUPER easily. Most of these people have been self ID'd as Christian.
I've noticed while I was a Christian as well as now that Christians tend to be able to get away with saying a lot of smack about other groups but when someone says smack about them, they scream and cry louder than a woman in childbirth!
It seems that, as Christians, many get upset over things WAY more easily and faster than before they were a Christian.
Does becoming a Christian, which is a very emotional affair, create a super-sensitive person, or is it that tyically only super-sensitive people BECOME Christian?
I forget who, but someone here linked to a study that showed (if I remember correctly) the part of your brain that lights up when discussing religion is the same part as when defending your favorite football team for example.

Some people can get all worked up over a comment about their favorite team, so I would assume religious beliefs strike up similar emotions and thus what we see here at times.

To me, it seems more about the person than Christianity or football. I would assume a person very passionate about their favorite sports team would be a likely candidate for being very passionate about their favorite religion and vice versa.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Wordleymaster1
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by Wordleymaster1 »

Clownboat wrote:
Wordleymaster1 wrote: I'm relatively new here but even so, I've noticed many people seem to get their feelings hurt SUPER easily. Most of these people have been self ID'd as Christian.
I forget who, but someone here linked to a study that showed (if I remember correctly) the part of your brain that lights up when discussing religion is the same part as when defending your favorite football team for example.

Some people can get all worked up over a comment about their favorite team, so I would assume religious beliefs strike up similar emotions and thus what we see here at times.

To me, it seems more about the person than Christianity or football. I would assume a person very passionate about their favorite sports team would be a likely candidate for being very passionate about their favorite religion and vice versa.
Very possible
Do you think that these more emotional people are more likely to be religious or is it more of a game of chance that kinda lines up to this scenario?

Clownboat
Savant

Post #4

Post by Clownboat »

Wordleymaster1 wrote:
Clownboat wrote:

Very possible
Do you think that these more emotional people are more likely to be religious or is it more of a game of chance that kinda lines up to this scenario?

IMO, a game of chance, but I have no info that I could provide to support my opinion. There certainly could be a link I would imagine.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Wordleymaster1
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by Wordleymaster1 »

Clownboat wrote:
Wordleymaster1 wrote:
Clownboat wrote:

Very possible

IMO, a game of chance, but I have no info that I could provide to support my opinion. There certainly could be a link I would imagine.
I would be insterested in seeing a study that correlates these. I would bet there's something more to it than change. But what do I know? :confused2:

Wootah
Savant

Post #6

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 1 by Wordleymaster1]

I might agree with you.

I do think that if you accept death as part of life then you are choosing to numb your feelings and if you think death is the enemy then you will be sensitive to all the death there is.

I find myself with hope and so I am more sensitive than before for sure.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by Zzyzx »

Wootah wrote: I do think that if you accept death as part of life then you are choosing to numb your feelings
A realist need not "numb feelings" to accept that death is a feature of all life forms.

A supernaturalist may choose to alleviate their fear of death by denying that organisims (including themselves personally) will eventually die naturally -- and that religious beliefs will entitle a "soul" (not demonstrated to exist) will transcend death into an "afterlife(* (not demonstrated to exist).

Perhaps this is comforting for those who wish to deny that they and loved ones will eventually die.
Wootah wrote: and if you think death is the enemy then you will be sensitive to all the death there is.
Some may think of death as "the enemy", others regard it as simply the termination of life functions.
Wootah wrote: I find myself with hope and so I am more sensitive than before for sure.
Religionists are certainly free to "hope" that they will not die (or that their "soul" will transcend death. Hope often needs no basis in reality to be comforing to the hopeful.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Freddy_Scissorhands
Student

Post #8

Post by Freddy_Scissorhands »

[Replying to post 1 by Wordleymaster1]

As much as I agree, that religous people get offended very, very easily...
I have to say, this forum here seems to have fairly non-sensitive theists. Maybe not less fundemental, or less passionate about their believes, but I haven't encountered many here who got easily offended either...
But I haven't been here for long, so I guess that's something that can change ;)

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #9

Post by Divine Insight »

Wootah wrote: I do think that if you accept death as part of life then you are choosing to numb your feelings and if you think death is the enemy then you will be sensitive to all the death there is.
There's no need to make an 'enemy' of death just because you recognize that it's as much a part of life as birth. Also Christianity isn't the only religion or philosophy that embraces a concept of eternal life. In fact, that very ideal is actually a false propaganda of Christian theology. They act like they invented the idea of spirituality or a potential life after death. They most certainly didn't invent the concept. In fact, many other religion not only believe that there is life after death, but they also believe that there was life before birth. So that consider spiritual as truly being eternal in both directions of time.
Wootah wrote: I find myself with hope and so I am more sensitive than before for sure.
Actually if you were confident in your belief you should be less sensitive. Why should you be more sensitive? Being more sensitive suggests that you are afraid someone might burst your bubble of hope precisely because it is fragile.

~~~~

I personally have an deep innate feeling that I am an eternal being. I feel like there was never a time when I was not and there will never be a time when I will cease to be. This is an innate feeling that I've had as far back as I can remember into my childhood. In fact, this feeling was far more profound back then than it is today. And it was an innate feeling that had nothing at all to do with any religion.

As I grew older and realized that Christianity was clearly false, I looked around for other potential religions and spiritual philosophies to see if I could find something more in line with my innate feelings of being eternal. The Eastern Mystical religions with their concept of reincarnation actually feels far more in line with my innate feelings of having always existed and not really ever being able to die.

I guess it must be for this reason that I have never feared death because innately I just can't even imagine ceasing to exist. It's not something that makes any sense to me. So I certainly don't need Christianity in order to have a belief or feeling of eternal life.

As I grew much older and began to ponder all the possibilities, including the possibility that my own innate feelings of being eternal could be nothing more than pure secular materialistic psychology, I began to realize that maybe the atheists are right and when our bodies die that's genuinely the end of life. We simply black out and cease to exist.

Even though I can't imagine that scenario intuitively, the scenario doesn't bother me intellectually. The reason it doesn't bother me intellectually is because intellectually I can simply apply logic. If when I die all that happens is that I black out and no longer exist then I'll never even know that I had died. In fact, at that point in time I won't even know that I had ever lived. At that point in time I simply won't exist anymore to "worry" about anything.

So from a purely logical point of view of pure secular atheism is true and we are nothing more than some sort of materialistic accident, then it doesn't matter. When I did I'll never even know that I had ever lived much less that I had died.

Anyone who is afraid of that clearly doesn't understand it. There's nothing to be afraid of if that's the truth of reality.

On the contrary if something like Christianity is true we should all be terrified, including the Christians themselves. If we fail to pacify the Christian God in some stupid trivial way that we may not even be aware of then instead of merely ceasing to exists we could find ourselves in a horrible terrify state of eternal punishment.

Even Jesus preached that there will be those who have preached in his name and claimed to believe in him but he will not recognize them and they will be cast into eternal punishment for not living up to his expectations.

If Christianity is true then everyone should be terrified, especially the Christians who claim to believe that these threats are true.

Just because a Christian claims to like Jesus is no guarantee that Jesus will like them. If I were a Christian I'd be terrified to death.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by Zzyzx »

Freddy_Scissorhands wrote: As much as I agree, that religous people get offended very, very easily...
I have to say, this forum here seems to have fairly non-sensitive theists. Maybe not less fundemental, or less passionate about their believes, but I haven't encountered many here who got easily offended either...
But I haven't been here for long, so I guess that's something that can change
You may discover that Theists who continue posting beyond a few days or weeks tend to be those who are NOT inclined to adamantly defend fundamentalism / literalism with passion / emotion.

The latter seem inclined to become frustrated and hostile when their pronouncements are not accepted (since they may have experienced unanimous agreement in church or Christians only environments) and to violate Forum Rules prohibiting incivility.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence