For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Crazee
Scholar

Idealist

Post #1

Post by Crazee »

I am proudly idealist.

I think that if I promote ideas of compassion towards myself and others, then all problems that we've been butting our heads against can be resolved.

It seems to me that conscious interactions lend themselves to cooperation and solutions that satisfy, or even amplify, mutual goals for all parties.

Do you believe this a reasonable philosophical position?

Idealist
Student

Re: Idealist

Post #11

Post by Idealist »

[Replying to post 1 by Crazee]

Yes, as my username implies, I very much agree that this is true!

Wissing
Apprentice

Post #12

Post by Wissing »

If you'd like, I could provide some evidence that idealism is a very destructive force in society, and is the indirect cause of at least one infamous dictator's rise to power.

Please let me know if you'd be interested in investing some time into your worldview. I will not invest the time until I hear if you're willing to debate it. We could go head to head on the topic if you'd like. I prefer to drag debates out over several weeks, posting only on Saturdays, so that there is adequate time to prepare sound arguments.

Regardless of whether you want to debate it, I'll go ahead and say this:
Idealism is something that should inspire action. Idealism is good if it leads to action; it's evil if it leads to idleness. Practice your ideals. Want to end world hunger? Do it. Want to create world peace? Do it. Until you actually try to solve the problems you idealistically diagnose, you will never be fully informed on the issues. You will never realize the difficulties involved. This could lead to uninformed, often political, often emotive, often non-scientific decisions.

In short: I once was an idealist, and now I'm not, and people like I was make me fear for the survival of our species.