What is the difference?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

RaiderGonzo
Student

What is the difference?

Post #1

Post by RaiderGonzo »

Christian wise, to believe and have faith in order to be saved! What is the difference between belief and having faith?

For even the demons believe and shudder!

bluethread
Savant

Post #2

Post by bluethread »

Yacov addresses this in "James" chapter 2. One can assent to something, but that does not mean that they believe or have faith in it, in the Scriptural sense. Having faith means one recognizes something as true and acts in accordance with that truth.

RaiderGonzo
Student

Post #3

Post by RaiderGonzo »

there is scripture where there's mention of those who believe, but yet they fall short of receiving the Holy Spirit., leads me to think and comment that there is indeed the matter that while one can believe in things seen, one can still fail to act based on those same things unseen

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Re: What is the difference?

Post #4

Post by ttruscott »

RaiderGonzo wrote: Christian wise, to believe and have faith in order to be saved! What is the difference between belief and having faith?

Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.

Faith is hope so you can believe in something with no hope it will bring you good.

Peace, Ted

RaiderGonzo
Student

Post #5

Post by RaiderGonzo »

Faith is hope so you can believe in something with no hope it will bring you good.

Peace, Ted
What's up Ted., how you doin'

I think quite the opposite, hope is the foundation of faith of things unseen that will bring all good to one's soul.

Peace

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by ttruscott »

RaiderGonzo wrote:

Peace, Ted
What's up Ted., how you doin'

I think quite the opposite, hope is the foundation of faith of things unseen that will bring all good to one's soul.

Peace
I'm ok but re-reading my post I know this is not something I would say as it is my favourite topic! It must be a typo I missed...it should read: Faith is hope so you can believe in something with no PROOF it will bring you good.

Doe this sound more like me? :)

Peace, tTed
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

YahDough
Under Probation

Post #7

Post by YahDough »

RaiderGonzo wrote: Christian wise, to believe and have faith in order to be saved! What is the difference between belief and having faith?

The Greek word, which is translated as faith, is pistis (noun) and believe, is translated from pistevo (verb). Also the word pistevo (believe) means to trust in and not just acknowledge as true.

According to these Bible definitions, faith can be quantitative where-as believing is a finished product. In other words, one can have a measure of faith but one either believes or he doesn't believe.

Adstar
Under Probation

Post #8

Post by Adstar »

[Replying to post 1 by RaiderGonzo]

Belief is belief

Faith is trusting.

Belief is related to Faith. If one believes God one will trust in Gods revealed will.

Adstar
Under Probation

Post #9

Post by Adstar »

Just an extra to the main question

James 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

The devils believe there is a God but that does not mean they believe what God says and trust Him or His ways..

greentwiga
Scholar

Post #10

Post by greentwiga »

Adstar wrote:

Just an extra to the main question

James 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

The devils believe there is a God but that does not mean they believe what God says and trust Him or His ways..
Pistuo/Pistis can equally be translated belief, faith, trust. There are many people who believe in God. That doesn't help them. It is people who put their faith/trust in the work Jesus did on the cross that are saved. Scriptures also include the idea that they can't do that unless God does some work in them first. Thus it can also be said that one is not saved unless the Holy Spirit is in them. I have known many people who pray to receive Jesus because it pleases their parents, gets them a boyfriend/girlfriend, is good for business, etc. Many of these profess "belief" but are not trusting in God and in Jesus and the work on the cross.