Is scientific dogma more insidious than religion?

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

r~
Sage

Is scientific dogma more insidious than religion?

Post #1

Post by r~ »

It is widely accepted that religion is more prone to dogma and science authority most strenuously denies that the scientific method might be construed to propagate dogma as long and far as possible.

Is scientific dogma more insidious than religious dogma?
If your answer is no, please cite your proof and better explanation.

in the spirit of peace
rwjefferson

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: Is scientific dogma more insidious than religion?

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

r~ wrote: It is widely accepted that religion is more prone to dogma and science authority most strenuously denies that the scientific method might be construed to propagate dogma as long and far as possible.

Is scientific dogma more insidious than religious dogma?

in the spirit of peace
rwjefferson
I don't see where science is insidious at all. On the contrary science is totally open to any new evidence, and also any new hypotheses that can be tested.

Science does not exude anyone. Science does not belittle anyone. And science does not threaten to condemn anyone.

Religion is clearly the opposite.

Religion refuses to even consider evidence if that evidence contradicts its dogma.

Religion is extremely exclusive. Not only toward the non-religions, but even toward other religions.

Religion (especially the Abrahamic religions) are infamous for belittling people if they refuse to cower down to the religious dogma and support it even though there is not a shred of evidence to support it.

Religion (especially the Abrahamic religions and Christianity especially) threatens people with condemnation should they fail to even merely believe in their God.

Religion is indeed insidious. It's actually quite nasty and wholly dishonest.

Science is totally honest and open to any credible evidence, hypotheses and theories that can be shown to actually be sane, and not just insidious religious dogma in disguise.

If religion is at war with science religion will most certainly lose.

And let's not forget also that religion is always at war with religion. The Jews, Christian and Muslims totally reject each others dogma. And even these three factions of the original Abrahamic religions have their own internal sects who are basically at war with each other.

Think for just one moment. If Christianity were able to surface as the one world religion, that would only be the beginning of the real holy wars because then the myriad of disagreeing Christian factions would turn on each other (they already do this now)

We see the same thing in Islam. She Shia and the Sunni in great conflict over their different views on Allah.

Religion is extremely divisive. Science is only ONE of the many "enemies" that religion has proclaimed as being against their jealous exclusive God.

And the Abrahamic religions, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam are the most hateful and insidious religions of all the religions of the world.

In fact look at Buddhism. Buddhism has not proclaimed anyone to be its enemy. And Buddhism is not only living in harmony with science but is even volunteering to be part of science.

If we seek a religion that is not insidious we should consider Buddhism.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Unhand Me Sir
Student

Post #3

Post by Unhand Me Sir »

r~ wrote: Is scientific dogma more insidious than religious dogma?
Science is, pretty much by definition, non-dogmatic. Dogma thinks it has the answers already. Science knows it hasn't and is driven by questions

If you think there is such a thing as scientific dogma perhaps you could tell us what it is?

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #4

Post by Divine Insight »

Unhand Me Sir wrote:
r~ wrote: Is scientific dogma more insidious than religious dogma?
Science is, pretty much by definition, non-dogmatic. Dogma thinks it has the answers already. Science knows it hasn't and is driven by questions

If you think there is such a thing as scientific dogma perhaps you could tell us what it is?
That is the indeed the correct answer. Science is not dogma to begin with. So the entire topic based on a false accusation aimed at bringing science down to the level of dogmatic religions.

There's always an attempt by religious people to try to bring science down to their level. That's the only way they can pretend to have a level playing field.
[center]Image
[/center]

Mr.Badham
Sage

Post #5

Post by Mr.Badham »

[Replying to r~]

I'm curious to know what it is that you think "scientific dogma" is.

Do you consider it to be the answers that science has come up with, or that in order to be considered scientific, you must use a particular method?

r~
Sage

gravity is force, curvature is not

Post #6

Post by r~ »

welcome to my wormhole, Mr.Badham
Dogma is misinterpretation of graven images, like Holy Words or Mathematical Calculations. The mark of dogma is revealed by hubris and insult, and threat and ban. No Mr.Badham, it is not curvature that lifts us up or presses us down to earth. Force is inertial pressure differential and curvature is not.

challenge
Meet me here and prove me wrong. Or answer some basic questions. Do you know any elementary students or hyphenated physicists, 0r do rely on Divine Insight?

~peace
bang~entropy
ron~

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #7

Post by Divine Insight »

By the way r~, I think it was very honest of you to confess in the title of this thread that religion itself is indeed an insidious dogma.

As Unhand Me Sir has inquired, could you elaborate on you believe to be "Scientific Dogma"?

Perhaps once we clear up your misunderstandings about science then you can realize that insidious religious dogma is the only "dogma" that exists to begin with.
[center]Image
[/center]

r~
Sage

gravity is force, curvature is not

Post #8

Post by r~ »

welcome to my wormhole, Unhand Me Sir
Dogma is misinterpretation of graven images, like Holy Words or Mathematical Calculations. The mark of dogma is revealed by hubris and insult, and threat and ban. No Unhand Me Sir, it is not curvature that lifts us up or presses us down to earth. Force is inertial pressure differential and curvature is not.

challenge
Meet me here and prove me wrong. Or answer some basic questions. Do you know any elementary students or hyphenated physicists, 0r do you rely on Divine Insight to tell you so?

~peace
bang~entropy
ron~

Unhand Me Sir
Student

Re: gravity is force, curvature is not

Post #9

Post by Unhand Me Sir »

r~ wrote: welcome to my wormhole, Unhand Me Sir
Dogma is misinterpretation of graven images, like Holy Words or Mathematical Calculations. The mark of dogma is revealed by hubris and insult, and threat and ban. No Unhand Me Sir, it is not curvature that lifts us up or presses us down to earth. Force is inertial pressure differential and curvature is not.

challenge
Meet me here and prove me wrong. Or answer some basic questions. Do you know any elementary students or hyphenated physicists, 0r do you rely on Divine Insight to tell you so?

~peace
bang~entropy
ron~
I'm not sure in what sense a mathematical calculation could be called a graven image and it's misrepresentation called dogma.

I'm guessing that in talking about force, curvature and pressing down to earth you've encountered relativity in some way but I don't understand what you're saying... I wonder if you do?

I fear I must respectfully decline your challenge. ~peace to you too.

Mr.Badham
Sage

Re: gravity is force, curvature is not

Post #10

Post by Mr.Badham »

[Replying to post 6 by r~]

The answers are obvious;

Curvature is proof of a finite spherically shaped universe, and gravity is what balances out expansion. Otherwise the universe's energy would not be a zero sum situation.

Simple.