Is this evidence that the Bible is more than just a book

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Stonez
Scholar

Is this evidence that the Bible is more than just a book

Post #1

Post by Stonez »

A Christian friend sent me this half hour Christian youtube show called Supernatural and asked me to watch it.

As an Ex-Christian I found the start unbearable and didn't think I could handle it, until this guest speaker comes on and gives a very impressive interview on his biblical studies. He made a lot of claims that I need to follow up on but it has left me scratching my head. Maybe the Bible does have more to it than just ancient literature???

Is this evidence that the Bible is more than just a book, at the very least or maybe even true in it's basic content, at best???

I invite Christians, Atheists and Theists to watch this interview and give me some feedback on what you think of this guys claims.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #2

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From the OP:
I invite Christians, Atheists and Theists to watch this interview and give me some feedback on what you think of this guys claims.
Please present pertinent arguments you think this vidya presents, and let's set to hollerin' at one another.

Otherwise, no, thirty minutes of carryin' on ain't no more proof of nothing, that another thirty minutes of carryin' on can't refute.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Stonez
Scholar

Post #3

Post by Stonez »

JoeyKnothead wrote: From the OP:
Please present pertinent arguments you think this vidya presents, and let's set to hollerin' at one another.

Otherwise, no, thirty minutes of carryin' on ain't no more proof of nothing, that another thirty minutes of carryin' on can't refute.
There was a lot of claims made. If all you heard was hollerin, then you weren't listening to the information presented...Is it just a coincidence that these red moons happen along with these events?

Freethinker23
Student

Post #4

Post by Freethinker23 »

It sounds amazing that the total eclipses are going to occur on the day of the Passover and Feast of Tabernacles and the past eclipses also occurred on that day. That is until you realize that the date of Passover and the Feast of Tabernacles always occur on the night of the full moon because the Jewish calendar is based on the moon, not the sun. Likewise, a total eclipse can only occur on the night of a full moon. And because a total lunar eclipse can only happen in one-month seasons about every 6 months, it isn't surprising that if one Blood Moon falls on Passover, the next one will fall on the Feast of Tabernacles (which occurs 6 months after Passover).

Also, tetrads (4 consecutive total lunar eclipses) occur in cycles of 300 years. There will be 300 years with very few or no tetrads and then 300 years of many tetrads.

As for the 1948 and 1967 dates, he glossed over the fact that the tetrad started in 1949, not 1948. Israel declared independence in May of 1948.

It seems to me this guy is just trying to make a quick buck selling books and DVDs.

Stonez
Scholar

Post #5

Post by Stonez »

Freethinker23 wrote: It sounds amazing that the total eclipses are going to occur on the day of the Passover and Feast of Tabernacles and the past eclipses also occurred on that day. That is until you realize that the date of Passover and the Feast of Tabernacles always occur on the night of the full moon because the Jewish calendar is based on the moon, not the sun. Likewise, a total eclipse can only occur on the night of a full moon. And because a total lunar eclipse can only happen in one-month seasons about every 6 months, it isn't surprising that if one Blood Moon falls on Passover, the next one will fall on the Feast of Tabernacles (which occurs 6 months after Passover).

Also, tetrads (4 consecutive total lunar eclipses) occur in cycles of 300 years. There will be 300 years with very few or no tetrads and then 300 years of many tetrads.

As for the 1948 and 1967 dates, he glossed over the fact that the tetrad started in 1949, not 1948. Israel declared independence in May of 1948.

It seems to me this guy is just trying to make a quick buck selling books and DVDs.
Yes, I tend to agree with you. I have also found the dates of the blood moon concerning the 1967 war happened 10 months after the end of the war. I am finding that this guys dates are not so accurate and it appears he just likes to sell books based on a theory that he already knows doesn't add up. I will continue to follow up on the things he has said about the dates of the shmittah.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #6

Post by Divine Insight »

Freethinker23 wrote: It seems to me this guy is just trying to make a quick buck selling books and DVDs.
Absolutely. It's clearly just a sales gimmick. It also appears to me that his audience was rigged. People don't normally react the way his audience was reacting. They were either paid actors, or selective "sheep" who react profoundly to everything this guy says.

As far as the actual information, I don't find it impressive at all. For one thing if their claims could be verified to the day and even to the hour as they claim many legitimate scholars would be interested in this. I seriously doubt that their claims can be verified or backed up to the degrees they claim.

Also, as Freethinker has pointed out religious feasts have always been done on special occasions like on full moons. So the idea that feasts would be lined up with full moons is absolutely meaningless. Of course they would be. That's how these feasts are determined to take place.

We really need to be careful about superstitions that are "self-fulfilling prophesies"

Besides, if there was anything truly worthy of study concerning this thing don't you think these people would be trying to convince scholars instead of just trying to sell their books and videos for $49.95 to a gullible public?

It's clearly just another sales gimmick.

I find it to be so obviously fake that I don't even feel compelled to waste any time looking into it any deeper. That's my impression.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 3:
Stonez wrote: ...
Is it just a coincidence that these red moons happen along with these events?
See here.

Considering how relatively often such events occur, I'd think it quite irregular if an event of historical importance never happened on one.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin