Is the US a Christian Nation?

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

r~
Sage

Is the US a Christian Nation?

Post #1

Post by r~ »

Are governments such as these United States based on the Spirit of Christ?

seeing eye to eye
Please respond short and sweet and fewer words are sometimes better.
Are Governments such as the United States of America based on the Spirit of Christ.et.al?

You go first.
What is the greatest commandment? The fewer Words the better.

ItS
peace
r~

KenRU
Guru

Post #161

Post by KenRU »

Thrump wrote: The United States government was founded on Christianity.
False. In Thomas Jefferson's own words:

"Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man and his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legislative powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between church and State." -Thomas Jefferson, letter to Danbury Baptist Association, CT., Jan. 1, 1802
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." -Steven Weinberg

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #162

Post by Divine Insight »

Thrump wrote: The United States government was founded on Christianity.
This is nowhere near true.

The United States is based on a free democracy which actually originated from Greek philosophy not Christianity.

In fact, Christianity itself is the ultimate monarchy where God is the sole dictator.

Throughout most of history governments that were based on Christianity were also monarchies that had a central King as their dictator. It was held that the King was ordained by God himself.

Christianity in no way supports a free democracy. The United States is the antithesis of Christianity.

From Jesus himself according to Luke 12:47:

Luke 12:47 "The servant who knows his master's will and does not do what his master wants will be beaten with many blows"

Christianity is about a Master/slave relationship with God or Jesus, or to an earthly King who has been ordained by God. Christianity is entirely founded upon dictatorship, not freedom. And the wages for disobedience is to be beaten with many blows. At least whilst you are on earth, so says Jesus.

Obviously Jesus will do far worse than merely beat disobedient people. He will cast them into a hell where they will burn in everlasting punishment.

Christianity isn't about Freedom. It's the antithesis of freedom. Christianity is the epitome of cruelty, dictatorship, and slavery. Either obey or be beaten with many blows.

This is the love of Jesus. ;)

And it's the love of Jesus that Christianity worships.

The USA is a nation of men and women who value freedom and renounce the hateful and cruel slavery of Christian ideology.

The fact that so many Christians actually came to America to be freed from their oppressive ideology is actually quite the oxymoron. Christians love freedom but still worship Jesus in the fear that if they fail to worship him they will be beaten with many blows, or cast into his hell fire and burnt in everlasting punishment.

They disobey him continually, but are so extremely afraid of his wrath that they continue to worship him in spite of the fact that they actually hate him.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

WinePusher

Post #163

Post by WinePusher »

Divine, your post represents everything that is wrong with intellectual debate in today's society. Rather than actually learn about what Christianity teaches and rather than actually trying to fairly represent Christian teachings and doctrines, you've instead chosen to construct an inaccurate, hyperbolic, somewhat inflammatory caricature of Christianity. If you're going to participate in an intellectual dialogue or debate about a certain topic, it's imperative that you actually understand what the actual views of the opposing side are.
Divine Insight wrote:Obviously Jesus will do far worse than merely beat disobedient people. He will cast them into a hell where they will burn in everlasting punishment.
Seems like you're clinging to an outdated, simplistic and extremist interpretation of hell that is only shared by hardcore, right wing bible thumping fundamentalists such as the Westboro Baptist Church. Go figure.

Other sects of Christianity such as the Catholic church do affirm the existence of hell. According to Catholic theology people can go to hell if they commit sin and remain unrepentant of it. Sin would include things like murder, not simply 'disobedience' despite whatever you say. Additionally, an individual may also go to hell if they reject the Christian God. The logic behind this assertion is very simple. The reason why heaven is often depicted to be a type of Elysium full of happiness and joy is precisely because God is there and the reason why hell is depicted as a horrible, miserable place is because it lacks God's presence. If one choses to reject God for whatever reason then they've voluntarily chosen to go to hell because hell lacks God's presence.

Like I said, I don't entirely agree with all this heaven and hell stuff but I at least made the effort to understand what the actual doctrines are.
Divine Insight wrote:Christianity isn't about Freedom. It's the antithesis of freedom. Christianity is the epitome of cruelty, dictatorship, and slavery. Either obey or be beaten with many blows.
Yea, this is why Jesus (the central figure in Christianity) taught people to love their enemies and other things like non violence, forgiveness, generosity, mercy and compassion. This is also why the abolition movement in the United States was heavily dominated by Christians and it's also why Christian missionaries and Christian relief organizations are always found aiding war torn countries and countries ruled by dictators.
Divine Insight wrote:Christians love freedom but still worship Jesus in the fear that if they fail to worship him they will be beaten with many blows, or cast into his hell fire and burnt in everlasting punishment.
I don't worship Jesus out of fear, and neither do any of the other Christians I know. I do agree that some extreme Christian sects say such things and I find it ironic how much you agree with them.

Again, if you're looking to just post up some inaccurate, inflammatory hyperbolic strawman then keep doing what you're doing. If you actually want to have a proper, intellectually honest discussion about religion then take the time to actually understand what the other side is saying.
Divine Insight wrote:They disobey him continually, but are so extremely afraid of his wrath that they continue to worship him in spite of the fact that they actually hate him.
So we worship him because we're afraid of him but deep down we actually hate him. This is your argument yes? Do you see what I did there? I'm actually making an attempt to understand what your argument is and I will try to fairly and accurately represent it because this is the key to having a fruitful and intellectually honest debate. I may not agree with your views and opinions, but it's my obligation to accurately understand what they are if I'm going to comment on them. Please do the same.

Freethinker23
Student

Re: Is the US a Christian Nation?

Post #164

Post by Freethinker23 »

r~ wrote: Are governments such as these United States based on the Spirit of Christ?
No. While the vast majority of the nation and an even higher number of elected officials may identify as Christian, the government itself is not based on Christianity. For one thing, the First Amendment of the Constitution, granting the freedom of religion, goes against the first commandment not to worship other gods. There are no laws against idolatry, adultery, or coveting. In fact, as comedian George Carlin pointed out, coveting is the basis for our economy.

Furthermore, there is the infamous Article 11 of the Treaty of Tripoli, signed by President John Adams, which states in part, "the government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion"
According to the gospels, quoting Jesus, the greatest commandment is "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind." I don't find this sentiment reflected anywhere in the founding documents and laws of our nation.

r~
Sage

What is the Spirit of Christ?

Post #165

Post by r~ »

You go first.

hint: Try taking the bother to read my other responses.

ItS
liberty and justice equal for all
r~

r~
Sage

sorry

Post #166

Post by r~ »

r~ wrote: to US

ONE NATION UNDER GOD

Love your neighbor as yourself.
All exist with full and equal right of peaceful and well-regulated pursuit of happiness.

Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's.
Governments are instituted to secure this inalienable right of liberty for all.

Do not judge and condemn other sinners.
No law shall be construed to deny or disparage the self-retained right of liberty for any.

rwjefferson

Neatras
Guru

Re: sorry

Post #167

Post by Neatras »

[Replying to post 165 by r~]

I understand that you really want to bait someone into saying something agreeable, however you're obfuscating discussion entirely to tote your own perceived righteousness. Either further the discussion by conveying your opinion/stating facts/questioning others on their specific opinions. Asking questions and then ignoring when answers are given is NOT a conventional tactic for debate.

Beans
Banned
Banned
Location: Prefer not to disclose that or my year of birth over the Internet

Re: Is the US a Christian Nation?

Post #168

Post by Beans »

r~ wrote: Are governments such as these United States based on the Spirit of Christ?

seeing eye to eye
Please respond short and sweet and fewer words are sometimes better.
Are Governments such as the United States of America based on the Spirit of Christ.et.al?

You go first.

ItS
peace
r~
If so, then why did they have to amend the constitution so many times?

Excubis
Sage
Location: (nowhere you probaly heard of) Saskatchewan, Canada

Post #169

Post by Excubis »

The following is part of an old constitution written by a Buddhist in 6th century in Japan. There are 17 in total I only posted ones I felt were relative to the conversation. Many I will say are about accepting your sovereign but for the time they were written quite advanced, and have similarities to constitution and are not christian.

The
 Constitution 
of 
Prince
 Sh�toku

1. Harmony
 should
 be
 valued
 and
 quarrels
 should
 be
 avoided.
 Everyone
 has
 his
 biases,
 and 
few
 men
 are 
farsighted.
 There fore
some
 disobey 
their
 lords 
and 
fathers
 and 
keep 
up 
feuds
 with 
their 
neighbors. 
But 
when 
the
 superiors 
are 
in 
harmony 
with 
each 
other 
and
the 
inferiors
 are
 friendly, 
then
 affairs 
are 
discussed
 quietly 
and 
the
 right 
view
 of 
matters 
prevails.

2. The
 three
 treasures,
 which
 are
 Buddha,
 the
 (Buddhist)
 Law
 and
 the
 (Buddhist)

Priesthood,
should 
b e
given 
sincere 
reverence, 
for 
they 
are 
the 
final 
refuge 
of 
all living 
things.
 Few 
men
 are 
so 
bad
 that 
they
 cannot 
be 
taught 
their 
truth.

6. Punish 
the 
evil 
and 
reward 
the
 good.
This
 was 
the
 excellent 
rule
 of 
antiquity.
Therefore
 do
 not
 hide
 the
 good
 qualities
 of
 others
 or
 fail
 to
 correct
 what
 is
 wrong
 when
 you
 see
 it.
 Flatterers 
and 
deceivers 
are
 a 
sharp 
weapon 
for 
the
 overthrow 
of
the 
state,
 and
 a
 sharp
 sword
 for 
the 
destruction 
of 
the 
people.
 Men 
of 
this 
kind
 are
never
 loyal 
to
 their 
lord,
 or 
to
 the 
people.
 All 
this 
is 
a 
source 
of 
serious 
civil
disturbances.

14. Do
 not
 be
 envious!
 For 
if 
we 
envy
 others,
 then
 they 
in
 turn 
will 
envy 
us.
The 
evils
 of
 envy
 know
 no 
limit.
 If
 others
 surpass
 us 
in
intelligence,
we
 are
 not
 pleased;
if
 they
 are 
more
 able,
 we
 are
 envious.
 But
 if
 we
 do
 not
 find
 wise
 men
 and
 sages,
 how
 shall
 the
 realm
 be
 governed?

15. To 
subordinate 
private 
interests 
to 
the 
public 
good
—
that 
is 
the 
path 
of
 a 
vassal.
Now 
if
 a
 man
 is
 influenced
 by
 private
 motives,
 he
 will
 be
 resentful,
 and
 if
 he
 is
 influenced
 by
 resentment
 he
 will
 fail
 to
 act
 harmoniously
 with
 others.
 If
 he
 fails
 to
 act
 harmoniously
 with
 others,
the 
public 
interest 
will 
suffer.
Resentment 
interferes
with 
order 
and 
is 
subversive 
of 
law.

help3434
Guru

Post #170

Post by help3434 »

If the USA was a Christian Nation you would think that there would be something about it in the constitution. There is no such declaration in the whole document, so obviously the answer is no.