Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

Excubis
Sage
Location: (nowhere you probaly heard of) Saskatchewan, Canada

Your Christian beliefs.

Post #1

Post by Excubis »

I would like Christians to let me know a few things, heck if I get enough response maybe a start of a new study. I will not argue the validity of your beliefs here, this comes from a social interest entirely. Things I would like to know:

1. Age in number only no b-days plz and only if you want. & country you live in.

2. Were your parents Christian and of same denomination?

3. What is your denomination? & How long?

4. Have you ever switched denominations? if so Why?

5. Why pick your denomination? plz try to stay away from putting down others

6. If you were born in, converted, or came to?

7. What occurred for you to accept Jesus Christ? miracle, feeling, ect...

8. What is being Christ like to you?

9. What do you believe about the devil/satan?

10. What is your favorite verse in New Testament & why?

11. What is your favorite proverb & why?

12. What is your favorite verse in Old Testament & why? beside proverbs

13. Favorite story in the bible & why?

14. What is your favorite book in the bible & why?

15. What parts if any to circular science do you disagree with & why? I would like info on a spiritual personal level not using science against science plz or according to entire bible literalism just say literalist.

16. Do you feel your faith improves your life? if so please give me an example.

17. Is there anything in the bible you disagree with, if so what? plz keep to point form, remember you are not trying to validate only inform no why involved.

If I get enough interest maybe I can do a small case study, yay analyze stuff for fun. I will not argue, put down, or in any way use this in a derogatory fashion towards Christians. If not comfortable to post here pm me. If I get at least 50 answers I can do a small study, looking for commonalities, age comparison, possible divine interactions across different denominations, and more. Once again this is just a social study nothing more I am not trying to prove or disprove anything at all. Also atheists leave them alone on this post plz. This is what I do, in part for a living, and I like learning first hand from doing my own studies. Hope you do answer and be honest could really find some intriguing trends across denominations. Once I get enough responses I will post cataloged results, I will even use charts ohhhh my, then post them here. Thanks.

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: Your Christian beliefs.

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

Hi Excubis,

I'm no longer a Christian, but I was a Christian at one time. Therefore I can offer you the views I had back when I was a Christian. I think these are valid Christians views since I was definitely a "valid Christian" at that time. In fact, I was so devoted to Christianity at that time that I chose to become a pastor. This decision was actually what caused me to study the Bible in depth which ultimately lead me to the conclusion that the Bible cannot possibly be true. But that's the end result. I will answer your questions from the vantage point I had before I realized that Christianity was false. So I'm giving you the honest Christian answers that I would have given you before I rejected the religion.

1. Age in number only no b-days plz and only if you want. & country you live in.

I'm 65 today, but I was in my late teens when I was a Christian. By the time I was in my early 20's I already realized there were serious problems with the religion. By my late 20's I was totally convinced that the religion cannot be made to work no matter how many apologies are made for it.

Yes, we were Free Methodists.

I was baptized as a Free Methodist as a baby and was a Free Methodist my entire Christians experience. However, for me at the time it wasn't about being a Free Methodist, it was about being a "Christian". Which at the time I felt simply meant "believer in Jesus as the Christ - specifically as the only begotten Son of the God of the Old Testament"

So for me at that time (as a Christian) denominations weren't even really an issue.

No, but I did become increasingly aware that other Christian denominations had extremely different views and ideas about Jesus, God and what it means to even be a Christian.

I recognized this to be one of the extreme problems with the religion overall. And it did cause me to question whether my denomination really had a clue what they are talking about.

I didn't pick it. I was born into it. However, having said that I was quite happy with our particular denomination of "Free Methodists". Our church was extremely liberal, not highly evangelical, (we believed that Jesus taught us to only teach to those who are interested and to never argue with people who aren't interested). So we would never go door-to-door bothering people who haven't already shown an interest.

Our church also preached love. They focused on the New Testament almost exclusively and only attempted to make sense of the Old Testament "Through the Eyes of Jesus". (In hindsight I think that's absurd, but it made sense to me at the time)

I would like to add here also that even denominations are not all the same within. I have attended other Free Methodists churches that seems to be far more "Fire and Brimstone" than ours. And also far more evangelical and "in your face". Our church was extremely meek and didn't bother anyone.

So denominations aren't even consistent within their own namesake. I noticed this whilst I was still a Christians, and saw this as yet another red flag.

I was born into both Christians and as a Free Methodist.

For me it was simply a matter of wanting to do the right thing. If I am given a choice between good and evil then I choose good over evil. It's that simple.

Jesus represent the "good choice" and so that's the choice I made. And so I did become "born again in Jesus".

I chose GOOD over evil. That was my Free Will Choice.

I'm not sure I understand the question. I never felt that I was Christ. I simply felt that I was in harmony with Christ.

I never really believed that there is an evil demon like Satan. At least not as a spiritual boogieman. I think our church felt the same way. We looked at the concept of Satan more of a metaphor for bad choices. A metaphor for our own choice to do bad things.

Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth.

I confess that I believe myself to be a meek person and I would love to inherit the earth. ;)

Of course this wouldn't mean that I would be the ruler of the earth as an individual. I would have no wish for that in any case. I see this as meaning that all meek people will inherit the earth together in some future time when all the trouble maker's have been removed.

This was even more attractive to me than thoughts of "Heaven". In fact, when I actually imagine heaven I imagine it as a perfect earth anyway, so there's hardly and difference for me. ;)

I never had a favorite proverb.

I don't recall ever having a favorite verse from the Old Testament.

The parable of Jesus at the well with the woman who was about to be stoned.

These parable had profound meaning for me as a Christian because in this parable Jesus was actually standing behind my arguments against the God of the Old Testament (and yes, even as a Christian there were things I was not happy with concerning the God of the Old Testament)

In this parable I saw Jesus actually taking "my side" in this argument. ;)

Ironically lately, stories like these ultimately led me to realize that Jesus could not possible have been the Son of the God of the Old Testament because clearly Jesus didn't even agree with that God. (but that's moving forward to the place when I realized Christianity is false).

I would have to say the book of Job. The reason this book meant so much to me as a Christian is because it supposedly helped to explain why bad things happen to good people. Although, as a Christian I didn't actually see how utterly absurd the this story truly is.

Ironically as I awakened from the Christian pretense and took off my Christian glasses I was able to see just how horrible the story of Job truly is. But again, that came later as I realized that the religion is nothing but poorly written mythology.

15. What parts if any to circular science do you disagree with & why? I would like info on a spiritual personal level not using science against science plz or according to entire bible literalism just say literalist.

When I was a Christian science was never an issue. In fact, even as a Christian I was well-versed in the sciences. By the time I was 20 I had already learned all of Newtonian Physics, and Biological Evolution and I was already on my way toward studying Relativity in depth.

As a Christian I had no problem with this. Our church totally accepted evolution. It's just the way that God chose to create us, they believed. They didn't have a problem with the Big Bang or an extremely old universe either. They took everything in the Bible metaphorically. The "6 days" of creation could be 6 billion years. After all the Bible says that time for God is totally different from how we perceive time.

Same thing with the making of Adam and Eve. Making Adam from the "Dust" of the earth could just be a metaphor for evolution. Making Eve from a "rib" of Adam could be referring to DNA. We just didn't have those kinds of problems because we weren't biblical literalists.

So during my time as a Christian science never seemed to be in conflict, and I was able to accept and embrace all that science had to offer without any problem.

Or course, this changed later. Today I can see where scientific knowledge makes some biblical stories absolutely impossible (like the Great Flood) for example.

Actually no. I never felt that my faith had any affect on me at all. To the contrary I felt that I was always a "Good Person", therefore what is there to change?

However, I was confused about all the promises that Jesus had made about answering prayers, etc. He was supposed to "Appear to me" or at least make himself known in some way after I had accepted him as my savior and was "born again". He was supposed to "Come into my life". I never felt anything. I was the precisely the same as I always was. Just good little ol me.

And I'm far too good of a person for me to believe that I'm some kind of "Hold out evil lover who never really gave myself over to Christ". That my friends is absolute hogwash to be certain.

17. Is there anything in the bible you disagree with, if so what? plz keep to point form, remember you are not trying to validate only inform no why involved.

Yes, even when I was a Christian I had tons of problems with the behavior, directives, commandments, and choices made by the God described in the Old Testament.

I totally disagreed with God's handling of the so-called "Fall from Grace" in the Garden of Eden. I felt that it was totally harsh and unjustified.

I disagreed with the idea that God should be telling men to judge each other and stone each other to death as sinners. I thought that should be God's job. He's the only one who is omniscient and therefore the only one equipped to make a sound judgements.

I also saw a huge conflict between Jesus and God on this (as I had pointed out concerning the parable of the woman at the well).

I disagreed with the way that God dealt with the Canaanites. And the Egyptians for that matter. I disagreed with the way God dealt with Job.

I could go on and on and on here.

As a Free Methodist (at least in our church) we tried to justify everything that the God of the Old Testament did by trying to look at those things "through the eyes of Jesus".

But I have to confess that this seldom actually worked. Even the people in our church could not resolve these conflicts and our attempts to do so would end in us tossing our hands in the air and saying, "We must have faith that God has an answer for this that we just can't see". And then we would pray to Jesus for the answers. (answers that NEVER CAME in spite of the fact that Jesus said that anything we pray for he will do)

Sorry, I realize that I no longer believe, and I'm trying to relate back to the time when I did "believe". But as you can see, even when I "believed" there were clearly problems that even the pastors and congregation of our church were well aware of.

And I definitely have to say that today I am 100% convinced that the Biblical description of God cannot possibly be true. At least not verbatim, and certainly not literally.

And IMHO, to try to justify it metaphorically requires extreme twisting and pretending. In hindsight I can see that the only reason I ever became a Christian in the first place is because I was indoctrinated into it as a young child who simply wanted to do "The Right Thing".

And ironically that flies in the face of a need to be saved anyway. If I already wanted to do "The Right Thing" then what is it that I needed to be saved from?

(sorry) My current position on this religion is indeed profoundly convincing to me.

None the less I did try to give you my "Christian" answers as best I could. O:)
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

sf

Post #3

Post by sf »

Excubis wrote: I would like Christians to let me know a few things, heck if I get enough response maybe a start of a new study. I will not argue the validity of your beliefs here, this comes from a social interest entirely. Things I would like to know:

34, United States.
Excubis wrote:2. Were your parents Christian and of same denomination?
Christians, yes, but raised in separate denominations.
Excubis wrote:3. What is your denomination? & How long?
None (non-denominational Christian.) I don't believe in denominations :)
Excubis wrote:4. Have you ever switched denominations? if so Why?
N/A, see answer to #3.
Excubis wrote:5. Why pick your denomination? plz try to stay away from putting down others
N/A, see answer to #3.
Excubis wrote:6. If you were born in, converted, or came to?
Regarding Christianity or a particular denomination? I wasn't raised religious at all, and as a young teenager we attended church some, but that was a joke honestly. I became a strong atheist until age 29 when I became a Christian.
Excubis wrote:7. What occurred for you to accept Jesus Christ? miracle, feeling, ect...
I started dating a new girlfriend and she was a Christian. It's actually quite an amazing story of how we even ended up together, but I'll save that for another time. She started taking me to her friend's church, which was a messianic Jewish synagogue (a rabbi and Jewish people who accepted Jesus as the messiah). Out of respect for her and the others, I stood when they stood and sat when they sat. I didn't think it was appropriate to break bread with them (they literally had a loaf of bread and tore it apart and drank wine or grape juice like Jesus said to. None of those little mass produced wafers and tiny cups of juice). They sang many songs in Hebrew, which was very strange for me not even being a Christian. But then I started to get sucked in.... and the rest is history! :-) (Another story for another day)
Excubis wrote:8. What is being Christ like to you?
Behaving as Jesus Christ would: caring for the poor and needy, having compassion for those less fortunate for you, loving others like we love ourselves. I don't always live up to it though.
Excubis wrote:9. What do you believe about the devil/satan?
That he is a fallen angel who is mad at God and wants to get revenge by dragging humanity into his lies for as long as he can since he knows his time is limited.
Excubis wrote:10. What is your favorite verse in New Testament & why?
I don't have one.
Excubis wrote:11. What is your favorite proverb & why?
I don't have one.
Excubis wrote:12. What is your favorite verse in Old Testament & why? beside proverbs
I don't have one.
Excubis wrote:13. Favorite story in the bible & why?
I don't have one.
Excubis wrote:14. What is your favorite book in the bible & why?
I don't have one (sorry!)
Excubis wrote:15. What parts if any to circular science do you disagree with & why? I would like info on a spiritual personal level not using science against science plz or according to entire bible literalism just say literalist.
You mean secular science, right? I don't like how the modern viewpoint is that only one truth can exist: science OR Christianity. Scientists in the past didn't think that way. Granted, this isn't limited to scientists: government leaders, artists, scientists, and many other trades used to have a more Christians in them than they seem to today.
Excubis wrote:16. Do you feel your faith improves your life? if so please give me an example.
Yes. I have infinitely more patience for helping "difficult" people (I'll spare you the details to protect the innocent in my life :)). Of course there is more, but that was the first thing that came to mind.
Excubis wrote:17. Is there anything in the bible you disagree with, if so what? plz keep to point form, remember you are not trying to validate only inform no why involved.
No.
Excubis wrote:If I get enough interest maybe I can do a small case study, yay analyze stuff for fun. I will not argue, put down, or in any way use this in a derogatory fashion towards Christians. If not comfortable to post here pm me. If I get at least 50 answers I can do a small study, looking for commonalities, age comparison, possible divine interactions across different denominations, and more. Once again this is just a social study nothing more I am not trying to prove or disprove anything at all. Also atheists leave them alone on this post plz. This is what I do, in part for a living, and I like learning first hand from doing my own studies. Hope you do answer and be honest could really find some intriguing trends across denominations. Once I get enough responses I will post cataloged results, I will even use charts ohhhh my, then post them here. Thanks.
Thanks for asking and I hope more people respond!

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #4

Post by OnceConvinced »

I too am no longer a Christian but was a committed one for well over 30 years, so I will answer them from the point of view of when I was a Christian.

I was around 38 years old before I began to have serious doubts. Before that I was completely committed and convinced of my relationship with God.
Yes. I was brought up in a Christian home as were they themselves.
I didn't really consider myself any specific denomination. I was simply Christian. I attended different denominations over the years, going to the one I felt most comfortable with at the time and the one where I felt most welcome. As a child I just went to the churches my parents went to and they were very similar in their choosing of churches.
I switched as my parents switched. After I left home, depending on where I was I would go to whatever church was the closest where I felt the most welcome and comfortable. I spent most of my young adult life in Baptist churches. The last church I went to for several years was an Apostolic church very similar to a modern Baptist.
Pretty much already answered, but I also chose churches that were lively and exciting and with a lot of people my own age.
Born into. My earliest memories were open brethren churches and a Baptist. .
I was taught it was something that everyone must do. I was taught by default that Jesus was real and that he died on the cross for us. Evolution was a lie of the devil and Atheists were despicable people who hated and persecuted Christians. I became born again to please my parents, my sunday school teachers and of course Jesus himself. I don't recall any special feelings of any kind. I was 7 years old. I rededicated my life later on when I was about 16 and even got baptized. Baptism was a surreal feeling.
Doing as Jesus would do. Behaving as Jesus would behave. Serving and helping others. Setting a good example as a Christian. Being moral, avoiding sin.
He was a fallen angel who is out there trying to tempt everyone to do evil.
Didn't have a favourite. It was all God's word and all worthy of remembering.
No favourite.
No favourite
Joseph and the Technicolor dream coat. Probably because it was a cool story of a guy who was sold into slavery, became a ruler and even got to get one over on the guys who sold him into slavery.
Romans. It was just full of what seemed like great advice and guidelines of how to live and serve Christ.
Like any Christian I disagreed with Evolution because it contradicted what the bible said about creation. I didn't understand Evolution though. Never made an effort.
I did believe it improved my life. It gave me a benchmark and guidelines of which to follow on my path through life. It gave me a belief that I would never die and that I would live forever. It gave me a belief that no matter how bad things were, God was in control and he had the whole world in his hands. It gave me a belief that everything happened for a reason and that God had great things in store for me.
No not so much disagreeing with the bible, but certainly a standard teaching of the bible:

My first real disagreement was with end times teachings. I disagreed with the whole idea of a rapture, number of the beast and antichrist. I had come to learn that those were spiritual things.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

puddleglum
Sage

Post #5

Post by puddleglum »

Excubis wrote: 1. Age in number only no b-days plz and only if you want. & country you live in.

Denominational labels are of very little importance to me. I am an evangelical and selecting a church to attend I choose one that is Biblical in its teaching and practice, regardless of what denomination it is affiliated with.
I was raised in a family that believed the Bible and considered itself Christian but I didn't personally become a Christian until I was 16 years old. I was a member of a church that didn't always follow the Bible and I came to understand how to be saved by listening to a radio program called Back to the Bible.

http://www.backtothebible.org/
I knew from reading the Bible that I was a sinner and didn't measure up to God's requirements. I tried to make up for my sins by living a good life but when I started listening to Back to the Bible I found out that I couldn't earn my salvation but that salvation was available as a free gift if I repented and put my faith in Jesus Christ.
Being a Christian has changed my life so that I want to live a good life and avoid sinning and now the Holy Spirit gives me the power to do so.
Satan is a former cherub who rebelled against God and is fighting against him. Most of the world is under his control. Before I became a Christian I was actually serving him although I didn't realize it at the time. God is now allowing him to test believers but in the end he will be condemned to Hell.

I don't have any particular Bible verse, story, or book that is my favorite. Right now I am studying Colossians.
Science plays a major role in our understanding of God's creation. When scientists try to study what has happened in the past, however, many of them reject or fail to consider the fact that the universe was created by God and because of this their interpretation of data is wrong and leads them to wrong conclusions.
It has helped me understand how God wants me to live and has removed my fear of death because I now know what will happen to me when I die.
I believe the Bible was inspired by God and is without error. There are parts I don't understand and that seem unreasonable to me but I realize that the error is in my comprehension of the Bible, not in the Bible itself.
His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV

A17
Student

Post #6

Post by A17 »

1. 17 years old, Canada.

2. Pentecostal parents.

3. Don't really like to put myself under that kind of label, but I suppose you could call be a Buddhist and a Christian. The teachings of Yehoshua and Buddha are similar and I follow the eight-fold path. Been around 9-10 months.

4. Used to be a Pentecostal but left that fallacious doctrine after some demonic experiences.

5. Because the doctrine is more about the heart than tradition.

6. Born in a family with Pentecostal parents, truly converted after.

7. I was told that I was watching evil things and doing evil and didn't really give that much thought. Then I set out to quit that and do better and had a vision of Yehoshua not long after.

8. To me believing in Christ is obeying His teachings. Loving everyone with agape love, and loving God with agape love.

9. That he is insane and is pretty much an amplified Iago from Othello out to slaughter humanity.

10. Don't really think about that a lot but I have a verse I like: and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand - John 10:28

11. Not sure if this is limited to being from the Bible, but I like this: Man proposes, God disposes. <--- became aware of that one through a show but it rhymes and it's true.

12. Don't really dwell on favorites but one I like was Genesis 15:1 - After things these came the word of the Lord to Abram in a vision saying, not Fear Abram I am your shield to you reward great exceedingly. <--- When I was having trouble with demonic attacks I had to learn not to fear or I would have perhaps become possessed and verses like that reminded me to have faith.

13. Hmm, well I don't really dwell on favorites but, the story of Shedrack Meshach and Abednego I like because they preferred to be toasted rather then worship an idol.

14. Eh don't really have a specific favorite but Revelation is complex so I get really into the Revelations sorta.

15. Hmm, well I am not sure exactly what is meant but anyways circular science seems to ignore the para-physical, para-psychological and supernatural occurrences e.g people dreaming of the future.

16. Yes. My personality since converting has changed for the better.

17. The revelations 20:10 translation in English as forever and ever.

ChildofJesus

Post #7

Post by ChildofJesus »

[Replying to post 1 by Excubis]

I would like Christians to let me know a few things, heck if I get enough response maybe a start of a new study. I will not argue the validity of your beliefs here, this comes from a social interest entirely. Things I would like to know:

52 years.

One Catholic the other Anglican.

Catholic (practicing, non-practicing then practicing to date).

No, however, have participated in a couple of other Christian Services with friends many years ago,

I have always been led by Jesus, God and The Holy Spirit through the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of Jesus/God to remain Catholic in Faith.

Born in, however, many Catholics have over past years ceased practicing then returned to their same Faith in this Country.

Dying quite a few years ago when I was shown The Most Holy Rosary...then The Blessed Virgin Mary commenced speaking to my heart, then started praying this time for self and others around the world instead of just for Family, for world causes and Holy causes of which all have been answered with the Glory God's.

Love, Compassion, Mercy, experiencing His Sorrows, Agonies, Joy, Sufferings, His bitter Passion and Sorrowful Stations of His Cross within my Heart not just mind, as it was before I had 'received' Jesus into my "Heart". It is Jesus, God and The Holy Spirit as the Holy Mighty One I receive.

I differ from some other Catholics (those whom are conservative) views about satan/evil spirits and many Christians views pertaining to satan. I am really happy you did not capitalise this evil creatures name! I never gave satan nor evil spirits any thought and block don't focus on satan but know most sadly that ego is not the name of satan - one of his characteristics but ego on its own is not satan. satan is a creature in my opinion and his goal is to rope in as many souls as possible to take down into hell which in my opinion or experience exists within my relationship with Jesus, God, The Holy Spirit and The Blessed Virgin Mary. I would not have ever known had it not been shown to me while opening up my heart receiving Jesus through The Blessed Virgin Mary.

God The Most High to Esdra/Ezra, Jesus' Blessed is the poor in Spirit and The Holy Magnificat of The Blessed Virgin Mary to God our Heavenly Father.

Jesus, Mary I Love You, save Souls.

God The Most High's Holy Words Himself to Esdra/Ezra which encompasses everything that Jesus/God wanted of His Children then and in the future, His Teachings and Ways.

Abraham and Lazarus - the poor Man and the Rich Man. Because when I am judged, I know in my heart already that Jesus and God The Most High with The Holy Spirit of Truth will ask me why I did not give to many people living in poverty, why did I not share what God gave me during my life with those (even meals) on the street, overseas starving and dying.

The Old Testament (Jesus/God's) and The New Testament (Jesus/God's) - I Love all of God's Holy Word from Him because I know in my heart every sentence to be from Him and I love Him that He sacrificed His Holy Time to give mankind His Teachings, Commandments and Ways for our soul good eternally.

I am not sure what you mean by 'circular' science; I am a pretty basic person without Degrees yet have worked with Scientists. Nevertheless I will try and answer to address your Study. Literalist. God is Science because God gave Mankind His Scientific Skills, Talents and Abilities in His Holy Will - some were abused. Some Sciences were not such as in the Medical Field to save lives. Flying to the Moon and exploring the universe I would say as one example may well not be in God's Holy Will. We were given free will, in my view, with the Talents, skills, Gifts Blessings and Graces to do God's Holy Will, He was just waiting for us to turn to Jesus His Son, pray, to receive Him and His Loving Holy guidance in relation to Science, Projects and other things. Anything that hurts or damages God's Earth and Atmosphere, should not in my opinion have progressed, including mining, of which God The Most High, in my experience and opinion, is 'against vehemently'. I only received this into my heart two years ago on this topic and not really been mentioned since publicly.

Most definitely! My Faith in Jesus Christ our Saviour has Jesus and The Blessed Virgin Mary guiding me to do God's Holy Will in every aspect of my life now whereas when raising Children my focus was on raising my Children and paid work entirely.

No.

Thank you for allowing me to participate in your wonderful Study,

May God Bless You in your Soul journey.