Religion: Truth or Make Believe?

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Religion: Truth or Make Believe?

Post #1

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

Is religion true? Or is it merely superstitious make believe? Can all religions be true, and is that even statistically possible? And if contradictory religious beliefs cannot ALL be true, doesn't that mean that the majority of them are and always were superstitious make believe? A religious belief is either true, or it is and always was make believe. Does anyone disagree that this recognition is the very essence of the difference of opinion between, not only those of conflicting beliefs, but between believers and non believers?

Debate Forum Intro and Rules:
Welcome to DebatingChristianity.com. This forum aims to be the most civil and engaging debate forum on Christianity and religion for people of all persuasions.

Subject for debate:
Is it uncivil for a non believer to refer to religion as "make believe," and is that not the very foundation of the debate between believers and non believers which is after all the reason for the existence of this subforum?
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

Bust Nak
Savant

Re: Religion: Truth or Make Believe?

Post #51

Post by Bust Nak »

Tired of the Nonsense wrote: This is simply how you have chosen to interpret my use of "make believe."...
Look, we are going round in circle. You really do not have to convince me with examples that theists believe in things that are only true in their mind but false in reality. I readily affirm that. The question is whether it is civil to call that "make believe." You keep accusing me of injecting meaning into your words arbitrarily. Didn't I give you dictionary definitions confirming that there was nothing arbitrary about my interpretation?

Do you concede that "make believe" means pretense according to major dictionaries or not? Do you concede that pretense can easily be interpreted as childish without twisting the English language?

If you do, the conversation is over. Don't use that term, regardless of what you mean by it.

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #52

[Replying to post 51 by Bust Nak]

I DO NOT agree that using the term "make believe" is somehow a subtle attempt on my part to imply childishness, or any form of insincerity by believers. Otseng has already cleared my use of that term.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #53

I have decided to spare the headaches all around and take a break from the forum for an indefinite amount of time.

Ancient of Years
Guru

Post #54

Post by Ancient of Years »

Tired of the Nonsense wrote: I have decided to spare the headaches all around and take a break from the forum for an indefinite amount of time.
Happy holiday! Since you are Tired and need a break, I guess we are the Nonsense. O:)

Don't stay away too long. I have not been here very long but I am not Tired of your posts.
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

William Blake

sf

Post #55

Post by sf »

Tired of the Nonsense wrote: I have decided to spare the headaches all around and take a break from the forum for an indefinite amount of time.
I understand that this forum can be frustrating ](*,) Don't stay away too long! :)

FarWanderer
Guru

Post #56

Post by FarWanderer »

I don't even see why "childish" would even be such a taboo label in the first place. It's dismissive and a conversation stopper, but that's about it.

I think the real issue is that "make believe" implies that the believer is just playing a game with themselves, and that deep down even they know it's not real.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #57

Post by Bust Nak »

Tired of the Nonsense wrote: I DO NOT agree that using the term "make believe" is somehow a subtle attempt on my part to imply childishness, or any form of insincerity by believers.
That was not what I asked you. I asked if you agree that the term "make believe" can be interpreted as childish without twisting the English language arbitrarily?
Otseng has already cleared my use of that term.
Has he? "Part of the problem is the connotation of "make believe"... imply childishness. And I do not consider implying another is childish to be civil."

Korah
Under Suspension

Post #58

Post by Korah »

Yeah, I just checked you out, you havn't even checked in since April 25, 2015. Sorry if I'm among those who drove you away--we had some problems, tho your PM to me does not bring to my mind what they were.