Welcome!

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

His Name Is John
Site Supporter

Welcome!

Post #1

Post by His Name Is John »

It seems to me, that new members rarely post a introduction thread anymore. As such I am making this thread as a way that new members can say hi, and get to know a couple of people on the forums.

So to all the new members:

First of all, hello! :wave:

Second, why don't you tell us a little bit about yourself?
“People generally quarrel because they cannot argue.�
- G.K. Chesterton

“A detective story generally describes six living men discussing how it is that a man is dead. A modern philosophic story generally describes six dead men discussing how any man can possibly be alive.�
- G.K. Chesterton

gthomas
Student

Hello Everyone

Post #281

Post by gthomas »

Hello everyone.

I have been retired for a little while now and finding more time for diversions. Thanks for this opportunity.

I have been reading and reading around this forum and hope to know my way around in a few weeks or months. I appreciate all the help I can get.

I love God.
I love my beautiful wife.
I love getting to meet and talk to people. Too much some would say.

I hope that is enough.

Thanks, Tom

Haven
Guru

Post #282

Post by Haven »

Welcome all! :)

No Robots

Post #283

Post by No Robots »

Howdy, all. My name is Barrett Pashak. I found this forum by googling "spiritual Marxism." I have made my first post in the thread on that subject. I'm hoping to find vigorous, respectful discussion of hot topics.

Haven
Guru

Post #284

Post by Haven »

Welcome Barrett! Happy to have you here :)!
♥ Haven (she/her) ♥
♥ Kindness is the greatest adventure ♥

No Robots

Post #285

Post by No Robots »

Please, call me by my nom de guerre. :2gun:

help3434
Guru

Re: Welcome!

Post #286

Post by help3434 »

[Replying to post 276 by ChildofJesus]

Hello. His Name is John hasn't participated in these forums for over two and a half years, but I am sure Otseng will appreciate your commitment to following the rules.

tam
Savant

Post #287

Post by tam »

Peace to you all and hello.

I came across this site a short while ago. I do not remember what I was googling; perhaps something about Dawkins (as a couple of us from another forum were saying that we would not mind having a discussion with Dawkins). Well, you might not be Dawkins but you are here ; )

I also read some questions posed here that I would like to be able to contribute to by sharing the understanding that I have received. So here I am.

As for me...

I belong to Christ. I listen to Him. I do not belong to religion of any sort. And I am looking forward to the discussions to come.

Your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

Clownboat
Savant

Post #288

Post by Clownboat »

tam wrote: Peace to you all and hello.

I came across this site a short while ago. I do not remember what I was googling; perhaps something about Dawkins (as a couple of us from another forum were saying that we would not mind having a discussion with Dawkins). Well, you might not be Dawkins but you are here ; )

I also read some questions posed here that I would like to be able to contribute to by sharing the understanding that I have received. So here I am.

As for me...

I belong to Christ. I listen to Him. I do not belong to religion of any sort. And I am looking forward to the discussions to come.

Your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy
Are you sure you don't follow a religion? As a former Christian, I always claimed to be in a relationship with Jesus, not following a religion.

However, the defenition of 'religion' was not on my side. I wonder if you have the same issues that I did.

A religion is an organized collection of beliefs, cultural systems, and world views that relate humanity to an order of existence. Many religions have narratives, symbols, and sacred histories that aim to explain the meaning of life, the origin of life, or the Universe.

Does whatever you have, have an organized collection of beliefs, cultural systems and world views that relate to humanity and existence? How about narratives or sacred histories that provide purpose and meaning to your life, the origin of life or the universe?

Are you sure you don't follow a religion?

For me, saying I was in a relationship was just a way to separate myself from all those other Christians that were doing it wrong. How is your claim any different?
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

tam
Savant

Post #289

Post by tam »

I am sure that I do not follow a religion, yes, but are we supposed to discuss these things in the introduction thread? If so, then I will respond to all your points. If not here, then perhaps in another thread?

I suppose the easiest and quickest clarification to make would be to insert 'organized' in front of religion. But I am not sure that is entirely accurate.

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

Clownboat
Savant

Post #290

Post by Clownboat »

tam wrote: I am sure that I do not follow a religion, yes, but are we supposed to discuss these things in the introduction thread? If so, then I will respond to all your points. If not here, then perhaps in another thread?

I suppose the easiest and quickest clarification to make would be to insert 'organized' in front of religion. But I am not sure that is entirely accurate.

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy
You are under no obligation here.
I was just curious how a person can consider themselves a Christian, follow the teachings in the Bible, yet not qualify to be classified as following a religion. Thus I submitted the definition.

Perhaps you are not a Christian or perhaps you reject the Bible. Perhaps you will shed some light, but you are certainly not obligated to.

Perhaps you will ask yourself, "where will I go when I die". Does your answer come from the Bible? Perhaps it doesn't... If it does, perhaps you will amend your claim to not be religious. Perhaps I will stop over using a specific word here too!

Either way, welcome to the forum!!!
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb